Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Frequency Measurement Test -

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
All

The ARRL Frequency Measurement test is coming up in a week.  https://fmt.arrl.org/.  It is Thursday night November 7th, 2019.  

Did you know if you own ANY 6000 series radio and you can hear the signals, you have the ability to post a less than 1hz error score?  

Read some of the comments here in how much expensive equipment people used:  http://fmt.arrl.org/fmtdisplayresults.php?iid=649.  Most of it is even beyond me at times. LOL

Yet, with your 6000 HF radio, you have all you need.  Just that and a PC running some software.    

Start now and see how close you are to WWV.  Your local AM radio station, etc.  You do need to practice a few times.  Don't wait till the last minute.

I would think that it would be sooooo cool to have a lot of us Flex owners do the FMT and post amazing results.  This is all for the bragging rights!

I want to thank Ron, WB2WGH, for taking the time to write up a detailed step by step process.  

Those interested in my FMT document can find it via https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035279112-ARRL-FMT-Technique-with-FLEX-6000-Series-Radios.

Thanks to the Flex folk for their insight and posting it on my behalf. 

If you are going to give it a try, let us know on this thread.  

73 all!

Comments

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I called up WWV the other day to tell them they were off by 2 seconds on their time signal! He asked me how I was aware of this?? I told him my Timex Watch is never wrong!! He said OK, thanks for informing us! We will go into the Master Oscillator and turn C-1 1/4 turn to the right, and that should fix it! I said thanks and hung up! Yes WWV has great customer service..

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    When looking at local AM stations they may not be dead on their assign frequency. Here in central Florida I see stations high or low by 5 or more Hz. However 10 Mhz WWV is generally dead on at my QTH. Sunrise and set can introduce some doppler shift of the received signal.

FLDIGI is a terrific tool for measuring the signal frequency in conjunction with a Flex Radio. If FLDIGI is connected to the radio through CAT the frequency widow will show the exact frequency of the radio adding together the audio tone plus the dial frequency. Additionally, FLDIGI writes a CSV file for Excel.

http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/frequency_analyzer_page.html

GL
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My FLEX 6400 shows an error of -1561 ppb in the calibrate screen. If the 6400 doesn't respond to the GetError, where does this come from?
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    If I can keep my schedule clear, I intend to give it a try.  Hopefully, the propagation will be favorable for my QTH.

Logan, KE7AZ
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    When you do the radio calibration function the -ppb value is applied to the master VFO. The GetERROR API result is the error developed from the truncated tuning word. The -ppb error value does not enter into the calculation for the FMT.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    OK. TNX. Still setting up a process since the 6400 doesn't respond to geterror.

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I would not worry about the GetError() to much as the propagation throws the frequency off more than this component.  Granted, averaging the frequency overtime should reduce the error due to propagation but sometimes it seems to have an offset.

In fldigi frequency analysis mode, one can open the floating scope and watch the propagation effects on the frequency, especially with WWV.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    The GetError only works on the 6500, 6600 and 6700.  It will respond with a value on the other models, but the number is a garbage number.  (see page 7 of Ron's document)
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    My 6700 reports +- .02Hz error so it's irrelevant; since to place into the top spot your entry only needs to be within .1 Hz 

GL to all.
  • Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Yes...the FCC frequency tolerance for AM stations used to be +/-20 Hz, so station engineers don't usually don't worry about being exactly on frequency.
    ---jim KJ3P 
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I use an external 10 MHz GPS clock, so I decided to check it and it was -.9 PPM, , when I went on the internal TCXO it was -1678 PPM!! So with it locked to my GPS Station Clock,, probably good enough for government work!!! :-) "Can You Hear ME Now!"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.