Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What does Tim's email actually mean?

Steven Hess
Steven Hess Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Tim's email makes no sense to me. What am I required to do. I bought the 3.X version of Smart SDR. I'm up to date. He's telling me I have to go back to 2.X and re-license? This is pants on head **** if that what his email means.

Answers

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Didn't get it either... Volker, DL4RCE
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    LOL Steven I think you nailed it with your pants on head point.

Tim's comments clearly states "This does not prevent you from using your FLEX-6000 series radio, however, you will have to revert back to your previous major version prior to your upgrade."

So I read it the same as you. One day in the near future, Flex will come out with an update at which time we will need to go back to a working version of say 2.4.9 and then upgrade/update all over again.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I've been running v3.1.7 all day today with no problems at all.

I suspect that Tim's message just means if someone tries to download a new upgrade (right now) it will not download, and that an updated version of V2.x and V3.x is coming which will address communications security issues.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    You have to do nothing. That's only a information that they do some changes in there security system and if you have buyed in the last days an update you have to wait till changes are done then do registration again.

If you still up to date: keep cool :-)

Chris

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I think Tim's email is about, but does not mention, customers who may have been trying to update their radio, but had problems. I agree with the previous comment, and my new favorite phrase for the day, it would be "pants on your head ****" to have to roll-back a successfully upgraded radio. Here's my takeaway: If you have not yet upgraded, wait for word the new license server is ready, then download the newest version (not yet released). If you have tried to upgrade your radio, but had issues, roll back to your previous version and wait for word the new license server is ready, then download the newest version (not yet released). If you have already successfully upgraded your radio, do nothing,. That's what I *THINK* Tim meant, I encourage Tim to correct me if wrong.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I agree and it's the wording and order that is confusing. I think this update will be for folks that have had issues obtaining a license for their new version.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    Let me help.

This only affects anyone who is going to do a new purchase of V3.   

Beyond that, there is no need to worry if you are already at V3 since you are already licensed for V3.

Mike
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Mike it may be a good idea to reword the announcement specifying this is for new upgrades only... JM2C.  I had to read it over a couple times myself.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2019
    Close.  If you were on SmartSDR v2 (or v1), installed SmartSDR v3.1.7 to do the software upgrade, but your radio is not being licensed correctly, the downgrading to any version of SmartSDR v2 (or v1 if this is where you started from) will allow you to use your radio until we have released the updates to SmartSDR v2 and SmartSDR v3
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I was also confused! Sort of like watching CNN!! LOL,, 

Robert
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I didn't get an email from Tim, but I saw a notice on Facebook.  Sounds to me that if you upgraded to either 3.1.7 or 2.6.0 last month, you will need to go back to your earlier version before running the upcoming upgrade.  In other words, go back and pretend that the September releases didn't happen.

Rick WR0H
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    So it means if you recently tried to do a license upgrade you need to wait and use your previous version because the license server needs upgrading.  Your purchase of the upgraded version which you are trying to install is valid. Use the previous version. Wait for the server to be upgraded. If you have successfully licensed your current version you do nothing. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2019
    This is all related to new licensing of radios.  If your radio is already licensed for SmartSDR v3, then this is not applicable to you.
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    So im running the latest version 3.1.7. Do i need to do the new update when it comes out?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2019
    It isn't necessary in your case, but I'd do it anyway just so you are on the latest version
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Tim. Thats what i thought. Like to stay on layest version. Thanks
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I just want bug fixes for 3.1.7 things like tuner fixes, etc
  • Jim
    Jim Member
    edited October 2019
    I am glad to see this thread as it now makes more sense. I purchased the 3.1.7 upgrade two days ago to upgrade from 2.6. However, after the purchase it would not upgrade my radio (a 6300). Filed a help ticket and the response was that they were having problems with the license server. Ok ... then 24 hours later sent a query on the ticket and was told to go back to 2.6 until server is fixed. Wish that I had been told this would be more extended than just a couple of hours to fix a server issue. I wasted a lot of time just waiting thinking it was gonna fix quick. There was nothiung during the purchase process to warn of such a delay or the help ticket responses indicating this was going to be days of delay or more?

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have the same issue Jim. My purchase of 3.1.7 was Tuesday but my 6600 wouldn't license. Michael checked with the mothership for me found there was a recent issue. Basically my timing sucks, a day earlier I'd be without issue. It shouldn't take too long though. Server security improvements are always good to see unfortunately ca'ca happens. Version 2 still works, it's all good with me Clay N9IO
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Jim, the license server was working for a time - successful upgrade reports are a testament to that - but apparently about the same time you ordered the upgrade the server developed issues. I have no special knowledge, but I suspect Flex is busy crafting a correction and testing it thoroughly before announcing the issue is resolved. While it would be nice if Flex could alert us to impending problems before they occur so we can manage our expectations, sometimes it isn't possible. Hopefully the issue will be resolved quickly.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Due to a recent change in the security policy of our licensing server, it is necessary to implement a change in our SmartSDR software to support the enhanced communications securit

I beleave that's all it is, they must need to shut down to do the upgrade.
  • Larry - W9FLA
    Larry - W9FLA Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Has the server been updated and put back online yet?
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Larry, If you're waiting to purchase hold off a little longer. I got an email earlier today from Tim that they were nearly ready to try the new version. Unfortunately I will not be able to try it until 7 or 8pm CST this evening. Still working, not retired YET! It's possible others may be able to help Tim earlier than I can right now so stay tuned. I'll certainly chime in when I get the licensing done. I would certainly think Tim will as well. Clay N9IO
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2019
    Update

Engineering and our Alpha team members are still working through the QA phase.  This is part of a normal process and it does take time.

You are also not able to actually purchase a V3 license at the moment, even if you try.  So, just hold off for a bit longer and continue to operate the radio as you did before.

The way the software works is that your 'Max Version Number' for your radio is stored in the Radio.  If you Max Version is V2, then you can run up to anything in V2.  You can see your Max Version number in the Radio Chooser of SmartSDR.

The moment you download and it asks you to pay for a higher Version (V3 in this case), the radio and the servers do a quick (secured and encrypted) talk and the Max Version on the radio is updated and it is permanently stored on the radio.  This is why the radio must have internet access to update its license.  

If we continue this example, the radio never has to call home again until you upgrade to V4 (whenever that is).

We will update you once the All Clear is sent.   Many thanks for your patience.

73 for now.  

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited October 2019
    The update is out: v3.1.8 (or v2.6.1).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.