Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Profile Auto Save Discussion

Answers

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2019
    @Tom The Max Power feature has been around for a while.  Take a look at Settings -> Radio Setup -> TX.  Near the bottom is the Max Power setting.image
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2019
    We're too early in the process for me to be able to comment on this.  In general, when we make any changes, we will need to design, implement/code, and test.  This would all happen on the current version and like all other changes/fixes, we will make a determination about what gets rolled back once things are settled. 
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2019
    Would you really want to be prompted whether to save a change to each control?  That sounds gruesome to me.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'll take that as a no since I can't ever remember anything being "rolled back" after the end of version release. Fortunately, I'm pretty happy with 2.49. Still, I'm glad it is getting addressed.
  • Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It will help the user decide quickly if they want that set to automatically save or never automatically save.. :)

Like many others I will almost undoubtedly set it to Never save (automatically) I have a good understanding what is part of the profile vs what is not. And like several others I will frequently do experimental tweaking and experiments on a currently running profile that I will generally want to throw away when I'm done. But if I come up with something I do want to update the profile to, I resave the profile. I have not had an issue remembering to do so. Sort of second nature to me. But I can see how someone who may not have a good grasp of what is in the profile vs. what is not may get frustrated by things not persisting the way that they may think they should.

Thinking about it some more, the new autosave behavior sort of munges the persistence rules with the profiles. Not sure that is a good idea. The fact that persistence rules and the profiles are separate entities I think is a very good thing. There are aspects of the persistence rules I don't necessarily agree with, but I do understand the "why" for many of those persistence rule behavior choices. The persistence rules behavior thoughts are certainly topic for another thread perhaps. In my case the profiles being rigid and not changed until I explicitly do so helps mitigate the persistence rules behaviors that can be annoying to me.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hi Eric, I have just a few profiles and rarely change them. They basically just manage my power settings by band and I have one for barefoot and one for “amp on” I occasionally tweak the power setting but rarely want to have that change to permanently affect the profile. But since my changes are rare I would use either the “Save Off” or the “Prompt Me” option. The prompting would be rare so not an issue. I could see that when setting up a new profile the “autosave” could be helpful and the prompting would be excessive but that is not something I do since my profiles are the way I like them now. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, it has and since I have over 60 unique Profiles in place, therefore I very rarely ever go to the menu where its located. I actually forgot about it.
     However, its not band dependent which would be another great asset to the On/Off on Auto Save to have it selectable by band.
    My Pout requirements vary from 5 to 25 watts over the HF Ham Bands.

Tom W3FRG
  • Ryan - NC4RA
    Ryan - NC4RA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Eric my thoughts are the same as Rogers. Thank you for taking the time to listen to our concerns. 73 Ryan NC4RA
  • Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    This is very much the same way I use profiles too. I have various profiles that have various combinations of different multi (simultaneous) bands, modes, spectrum displays and slices within those spectrum displays, and DAX settings of various combinations.

"Super memories" really does capture essence of what profiles can be.

I have worked with FRStack in the past and it did not provide the configuration and overall radio configuration definition and capabilities that the profiles do. Having consistent and deliberately tailored profiles in SSDR really is the key.

Certainly the simplest solution is the option to totally disable the new auto save behavior if a user chooses to do so.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Eric I think the amount of input on this thread is proof enough this is not a popular choice for many. (the auto save). IMHO a good compromise to this issue would be the option to toggle this auto save feature on/off. No one wins or looses this way and each gets it "their way". Just my 2-cents worth) and for the record I like the option to toggle on/off.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    For me if you were prompted before closing SSDR or switching profiles with a message that says "Transmit profile XYZ has changed, do you want to save settings YES or NO"

I would be thrilled with that. Because the auto save does work in your favor often.Just nice to chose when.

Rich
    kd0zv

• Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    This is exactly how the Prompt option works in my original posting.  I should have been more explicit to make this clear. 

It also occurred to me that with MultiFlex, another benefit of selecting when Autosave is active or not  is that you could turn it off when the radio has multiple users so that profiles aren't changed accidentally.

Logan, KZ6O
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Generally my wish for this would be for the ability to make changes and have them be persistent, but not write that setting permanently to the profile.  It should be easy to reload the profile and have it snap back to where it was.  This is an argument for a persistence database or file that stays that way for the duration of the current profile load, but can easily be reverted to the dialed in settings quickly by reloading the original.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I also concur with Paul and Cal - though  I can also see why some users might not - so can this auto-save feature be easily disabled and make everyone happy?

Gary WB8ROL
  • IZ1OQT
    IZ1OQT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I share 100% Roger
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    If you are sharing your radio with other users and they need to sign in to SmartLink with your ID and password it becomes a problem to have each user change settings to what they prefer and have them saved automatically.  Having profiles for each user plus the backup profiles creates a list of profiles that is to long to manage.  If you have ever tried to switch profiles on a Maestro that has a list longer than the single panel then you know what I mean.

If each user had their own Smartlink id and password and their profiles only showed while operating then this would be better.  However, I still prefer to keep the number of profiles to a small number to cover the common use scenerios.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2019
    I think v2.5 may surprise you then.
  • FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    When is v2.5 going to happen ?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2019
    @Tim -- yes, I wasn't going to call you out.  :)  But thank you for helping me to understand what wasn't working well for you with the new Profile Auto Save feature.  I'm certain that we can come up with something that lets us have our cake and eat it too.  Lots of good suggestions already in this conversation.  Thanks again.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for the input Doug.  I appreciate all of the feedback given here.  Very helpful.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    This is almost as good as when Icom asked opinions and assistance on design changes.  Oh wait..

:)

Thanks Eric!

• Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2019
    In general, we avoid pop-ups as much as possible.  Many find them annoying (including several of us on the development team).  Reason being that typically you are doing something else (like closing SmartSDR) and you don't want to be prompted to make a decision at that point.  It gets "in the way" of doing what you're trying to do.  There are also scenarios that must be dealt with like when shutting down Windows with SmartSDR open.  Do you prompt then?  We will likely try to come up with a solution that doesn't require barraging you with pop up questions.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited May 2019
    John -- great input.  Thanks for the ideas.  We did consider this when implementing the multiFLEX profile functionality.  Ultimately, we decided that especially for transmit profiles, they are more oriented around the the radio than the operator typically.  So how much power you can put out and whether the amp is inline feels like something that should probably be shared.

I can definitely see your argument for Mic profiles though as this is typically unique for each user and/or microphone input.  We'll consider this.  Thanks again for the input.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You said that very well.  A saved profile should be sacrosanct absent a conscious effort to change it by re-saving it under the same name with modified settings.  I cannot imagine why anyone finds that confusing.  If someone forgets to do that, it's on them.  Having idle tweaks become part of the profile with no warning to the user defeats the entire value of profiles.  I cannot imagine why Flex would make a change like this with no meaningful notice to the user base and no prior discussion.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    So with all this profile saving, how much memory does this take and how soon will it be full?
    I too think an On/ Off approach is best.
  • Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'll simply vote for on / off  
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Count me in, on/off sounds great. I as many others use profiles as a way to get back to a known set of settings. Any auto changes makes them useless.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.