Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My Take on SSDR v3

12346»

Comments

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Anyone out there ever spent $199 on a really good meal or a nice Hotel?
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I don't remember any conversions like this on Version 2. Virtually all users could have use for its features. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2019
    No and I never will . . . But I spent 200k to sleep in my own bed where ever we go.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Robert, the number of comments reflects just how strong people feel about this latest version. The fact that another manufacturer has had issues does not excuse the problems that uses feel concerning Flex. No one is twisting our arms but many feel this new release targets only a minority of users and does not address the items most owners want. In my case, I just want better DSP. That would suit my needs best. I don't begrudge others wanting remote or mulit-operator.   ....and, yes, I would pay to have my concerns resolved.
    I'm sure you will enjoy your 6600M as it is a fine rig that will serve you well.   Jim
  • James Eastham Jr
    James Eastham Jr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The question is will I have to spend 400 to get V 4 and get stuff I would want and also be forced to buy V3 which has nothing I want. Pay them now and/or pay them later I guess.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    James, to answer you question,,,you can chose to buy a later version if you want to, V4 for instance will be $199.00 and will give you everything in all the past versions.
  • James Eastham Jr
    James Eastham Jr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Now that is Good News. I have no problem buying software upgrades as long as they have features I want.
  • Lance Rasmussen
    edited April 2019
    Well... technically 8.0 and 8.1 are in extended support period where M$ is only doing security patches. They are not doing anything else to those OS's. Some software companies will begin to make moves when an OS reaches that point. My software company usually will limit testing at that point and once they reach end of life we no longer test against or tech support customers on those OS's.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Microsoft might be supporting 8.1 for a few more years but some software companies are not.  I work at a CPA firm and our tax software is only supporting Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 and 2019 after November of this year.  I have a bunch of 2012 R2 servers to get upgraded this summer.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The purpose of the community is: 1, allow customers to help other customers on issues from new owners or owners exploring new areas (i.e., FT8); 2, customers helping out with work-arounds to problems experienced with a release; 3, Flex to monitor the ideas and tone of discussions surrounding their products. This is a moderated community so if the guidelines are being flaunted, Flex intervenes but as gently as possible. The dialogs are not emails to Flex. If you want that, send an email to Gerald, call them or open a trouble ticket.

I am not writing this to do anything other than explain my understanding of  the forum, not point a missile at anyone!
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Neil   You saying Flex software is finished?  So many bugs and still not a half decent ANF and no squelch in V3......
  • Jose B Rivera
    Jose B Rivera Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Tim, your logic is flawed. Features that were promised, that should work, do not work, like the DSP. So in that case the consumer is owed that feature. God Help Flex if ICOM or Yaesu come up with better software for display on large monitors. I will not be purchasing V3 as I don't waste time contesting. I actually talk to people on the radio via SSB. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The DSP does work, were did that come from? Maybe all the filters do not work as well as we would like but they work. The WNB is about the best filter anywere. Check out all the u tubes showing it working.

I thought Tim was spot on.
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You indicate that the DSP functions do work?  I will admit that my usage of my Flex radio is pretty light but the WNB function does absolutely nothing on my radio except at the lower frequencies where it seems to cause the overall amplitude as displayed on the Panadapter to just oscillate.  I see zero utility to WNB and pretty much any of the other noise reduction functions.  I do see some minor benefit from NR in some situations but ANF is also a completely non-functioning item.  Perhaps I don't have the expertise to properly use these functions but they do appear to be pretty much non-functional.
  • James Del Principe
    edited April 2019
    My WNB and NB do NOTHING.... the NR distorts audio at the point where it begins to reduce noise....  The TNF is very difficult to use effectively. Getting it right on the offending frequency is not easy..... However, the APF works very well. I am at release 1. but I do not believe there have been any improvements made to higher releases.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Gary, your  comment is very common from those that have a noise that the WNB was not made to work on.
    I can say it is amazing here at my QTH, without it on my radio is rendered unusable some nights.

If you check out the U tubes showing it woking may be helpful to you.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    James, if you zoom in on the pass band filter it becomes really easy to perfectly place the TNF filter.
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Like I said, I do not get any benefit from WNB under any conditions where I have tried it.  Does ANF really work for anybody?  It literally is not a button that I can click.  It is not even selectable on my radio.  I do really wish Flex would expand the DSP functionality of the SW to include more advanced adaptive functions and make the existing NR functions perform well.  Also would be really great to get some built-in digital demods etc...  This is a beautiful radio with what seems to be somewhat archaic SW.  Even my little (and cheap) KX3 does some things better...  I am running 1.9.13 BTW
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Anyways, all this is on our wish list, I hope Flex can get to it again. The DSP is a large project in itself. 
  • James Del Principe
    edited April 2019
    Bill, I have the panadaptor set so that 1 KHZ is about 1 CM wide. Does it need to be zoomed in even more than that?   It would be handy to have this working well as I have a group on 75 every morning on AM (antique modulation) and sometimes there are carriers in our pass band. Fine adjustment of the frequency of the notch is also difficult as dragging it is clumsy and the width of the notch reduces from 100 HZ wide down every time it is dragged. If it, by some miracle, is actually on the right frequency, then setting it to deep notch does work. It's just that getting it right the first time is really not easy.
  • Don
    Don Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I don't use V3 for multi op contesting.  I have other uses for it.  I can have two slices on the Maestro and two on a computer monitoring four bands for DXing, contesting, propagation studies, etc.  I think it is improper, unprofessional and just plain unhamlike to tell others what they can and cannot do with their equipment.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Burt here are some examples of, it's all the same: nothing new..lol

I am expecting a whole lot more than WAN from v2. In fact remote is not even of interest for me, I've been running a 3-way VPN for about 6 years. Wan can be done right now by anyone who really wants it, the other stuff, the must-have / missing features cannot!
    If FRS leads on V2 as the WAN release without any other major game changers then a lot of people will not upgrade for that reason. 

Lots of smoke and getting off the point being written here, but seriously why not, why not make V2 a try-before-buy option?
    There is nothing to lose, FRS should see it as a sales generator. Those that like it will pay within a 14/30 day trial period, those that don't can downgrade back to v1x   This is the software industry normal way to new releases and upgrades.

Just sitting here wondering....  It seems the big deal on V2.0 is the remote capability.  As I do not have any interest in remote operation, does this mean my latest software (1.10.16) will be the last upgrade I will see until I fork over the $200 more or less for something I will never use?

• FRED  W9TB
    FRED W9TB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Steve,You were right about the KPA1500 !  It works great.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.