Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DXLab Does Not Support SmartSDR v 3

Comments

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I presume that when we're talking about the Flex SmartSDR 3 API not working with all of this software, we're talking about communication with the rig directly over the TCP/IP API, correct?

So, I also presume that this doesn't mean that third-party software suddenly won't work with SmartSDR v3 VSP software via the traditional COM ports, right? So, Fldigi/WSJT-X, most loggers, and third-party software that doesn't have to use the TCP/IP API will still work, albeit with some reconfiguration being required and without the ease of the API.

Is that correct or am I missing something? 

(Mac users are likely still out-of-luck due to the need to reconfigure xCAT or other API issues, I'm sure).
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    My understanding from Flex personnel is that even if v3's multiFlex capability is not used, changes are required in the area of audio muting and RX/TX switching.

And v3 users will rightfully expect the ability to use multiFlex.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    Hi Dave,

Yes there are changes in these areas. Most functionality works and if you do not use spots on the display the Kenwood CAT interface works fine connected to a local client via SmartSDR CAT.

For how I use DX Labs, (Commander, Keeper, Spot Collector) send spots to radio, click on spot in panadapter or cluster to tune radio, logging, it works fine in V3 via TCP API and Kenwood CAT. (no spots on panadapter when using Kenwood CAT).

Please let me know any functions you specifically want tested for compatibility.

I personally do not use the Mute (don't know where it is) or the TX/RX in Commander so I never would have noticed they do not work.

Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    For single client use most functions including spots on display, click/tune on spots, and logging interface all work fine in version 3. As Dave pointed out there is some functionality that does not work because now the program needs to be able to identify which client it is to "talk to". For those that use Kenwood CAT to SmartSDR CAT interfacing there is no change in functionality. Dave wo2x
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Exactly.

Basically, if a program uses the "legacy" CAT protocol, all is fine (DXlab with CAT instead of Flex protocol, N1MM+, spots, most other logging programs). 

On the other hand, if a program uses the Flex or .NET API, it may or may not work as those are affected (DXLab with Flex protocol, SliceMaster).

So, DXLab does work FINE if you do not use the FlexApi, but the CAT port. I am not sure what functionality does not work with CAT, but you can control your rig, key it, read frequency, etc. Pretty much everything you do with any other rig. 

Andy
    KU7T
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Most functions work using the TCP API connection. There are some functions, two of which Dave has mentioned, that do not work currently in SSDR V3. I personally do not use those functions so it does not impact how I use DX Labs.

Dave wo2x

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DXLABS - or at least the parts I use- Work OK will V3.0
    Did some simple testing of the parts I mainly use - Logbook and Spot Collector with V3.
    It seems to work OK for me.   - I do not use commander as I do not see the point with Flex.
    I have been using DXLabs as my primary logger for 10+ years.. Dave does superb programming.
    I also use HRD logger because its prettier..as a secondary logger which works with V3

So while there may be some obscure functions that don't work, I suspect that this is a huge molehill taking on the guise to seem to be a insurmountable mountain...  YMMV

FRLogger and N4PY work 100% OK already with V3 as do many other programs as well.  I am aware of the fact that DDUTIL and SSSDR/iOS are being upgraded to handle V3.extra clients.

ALSO - WSJT-X and JTDX seem to work OK with V3

So per usual for this forum - a lot of hysteria over very little as most of you would not even eb aware of the effect of the API differences had Dave not mentioned it.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Agreed.  As far as I can see most everything works that I use of this very comprehensive suite. I do use commander, but mostly to key macros for my winkeyer..  I would expect a good number of the API programmers to update their applications.  Looking forward to testing SDR bridge v3 tonight.. 

I dont devalue Daves concern,  Your package is great, I have used it for years,  but this all mostly works ok for me... and the tools I need are there or are on the way...  lets try and stay positive and enjoy the expanded capabilities v3 offers if you choose.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This type of situation is exactly why I suggested months ago that Flex allow a try-before-you-buy trial period for new releases. Then each op can decide for themselves what works and does not work for them

Almost every software package I've purchased allows for a trial period. Why doesn't Flex?.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There you have it, all you guys that said you would never use V3 because it was beleived it would not work with V3 can now go ahead and get it if you had planned to.
    The sky didn't fall and Flex is still in busness, life is good.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sorry but I prefer to put my faith with Dave AA6YQ. Who knows more about DX Labs than he does?

Bill, if Flex radios started to burst into flames you'd try to put a positive spin on it and
    that type of cheer leading erodes your credibility in my book.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It mostly all still works fine.  This is not a holy war.. its a computer logger. 

Id like to see offline dialogue by all parties here..  and not hold a trial of public opinion prior to the actual release of the software. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

@Pat  While we will all agree that Bill easily wins the award of Captain of the Flex Cheerleading squad, I do have actual hands on experience with V3 and DXLab.. at least for my purposes, DXLAB and V3 seem compatible enough and there are sufficient work arounds even at this early date that even a sophisticated and discerning user such as yourself will be able to use it

FYI - Looks CWSkimmer will be able to work thru V3 via SDRBridge

Bottom Line:  looks like almost every 3rd part program will migrate to V3

BTW... Your request for APPs known to fail is a rather negative approach as it would include irrelevancies such as Facebook..... how about a list of APPs that work or will soon work with V3 as there are already many and likely even Dave, as brilliant as he is,  will figure something out.

Personally - having played with V3 alpha since the new year, I keep on finding all sorts of non contest uses which makes it perhaps one of the most exciting developments in Ham Radio in a long time...
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    When did I request a list of Apps that fail?

Perhaps your testing works for what you use it for doesn't necessarily mean it will work for what I use it for. Hence my suggestion that Flex allows a trial period as most software development teams allow.

Then each op can determine for themselves if it works for what they want and not have to rely on your testing.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

That boat has sailed long time ago as it would require a huge investment for little return.....
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    @Pat, I am uploading a video to YouTube showing DX Labs Commander and Spot Collector working with SmartSDR version 3. I will post the link in a new thread in a few minutes when the upload finishes. 

Yes, there are some features that have been identified that do not work in 3.0 but functionality to allow Spot Collector to send spots to the radio, clicking on spots on the panadapter or in Spot Collector, and logging the contacts to Keeper all work.

The RX button in Commander does not work. How many people use that? Or even keep Commander visible when using DX Labs? Also Mute from DX Labs does not work. I do not use these functions so until this thread started I never noticed that items did not work.

Please watch the video and if there are specific functions that concern you I'd be happy to test.

Dave wo2x

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    No, that's ok. I am not asking you to test anything for me.

I've been developing computer systems for 35 years and I've learned that one testers success can be another testers failures.

I maintain the trial period method is the way to go.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I haven’t found anything broken using v3 in test other than things in SmartSDR itself, though I am clear that their is something to be gained my v3-optimization. YMMV as I am a fairly routine user, and I limited my tests to my usual suite of programs. Not a statement from Optimism or Pessimism, just the facts. Stuff is working. I have some plans that will need to wait for a couple releases of v3 and for a few third party program to catch up. I’ll be writing about this at my blog shortly. While reading of more tension than it seems it is worth, I’m appreciate of this discussion - looks like their has been more results than bantering in the end. And I’ll revisit DXLab in the process. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Pat,

I am just trying to show that the core functionality of DX Labs works with 3.0. Hopefully Dave, AA6YQ integrates full functionality for SmartSDR 3.0 but my point is unless someone told me something in DX Labs didn't work I would not have noticed it.

An updated video of my testing is here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgw2Mr6eLjA&t=11s 

Dave wo2x
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dave,

Tell you what....if you are so certain all is well then I would be willing to upgrade if .... and here's the big if....you are willing to reimburse me my $199 upgrade cost if it doesn't work as advertised.

How does that sound?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Pat, I am NOT going to get into a flame war with you. When you decide for yourself that version 3.0 works the way you want then buy it. If you feel uncomfortable then sit back and let others share their experiences first.

I shared a video showing how I use DX Labs to chase DX. That is my contribution. Others will post their comments and the you can decide.

I'm done replying. 

Dave wo2x

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Howard, if you do not use Commander, you are not using the component of the DXLab Suite that controls the 6XXX.

I assure you that the current version of Commander will not work correctly with multiFlex enabled, and based on comments further down, RX/TX switching is also non-functional.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Yes, you are correct Dave, MultiFlex is an issue with your software currently. But for those running a single client chasing DX it works 99%. I do not use the few features that you have identified that do not work. (Mute or TX/RX from Commander)

Again, you are correct, for remote access and MultiFlex (where there are multiple clients connected) the SSDR-6xxx connections using the API do not currently function correctly. 

The Kenwood CAT connection does work for single operator when remote using SmartLink but no spots to the panadapter.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for the clarification Dave. This makes sense. 

Since I use WSJT-X through JTAlert-X for logging I never noticed the problem.

Dave wo2x
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    When I extended Commander to support the SmartSDR API, I removed the CAT support. Yes, you can set Commander's Radio Model selector to "Kenwood" and it will sort of work via CAT, but that's not a supported configuration.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    He is very smart. The question will be is version 3 a revision that was worth developing, does it appeal to a niche group? Steve references Star Wars, here is my reference 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=7YyBtMxZgQs
    Steve being the sword master, talented in what he does.
    However Indiana Jones gets to the point without any fanfare, ala AA6YQ, "No one who knows you, Steve, doubts that your intentions were good. Unfortunately, we live with outcomes, not intentions."
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Any progress or resolution for DXLabs V3 support?
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It's been supported for some time now. I use it daily.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It's been supported for about 1 month...use it every day...

Regards, 
    Ronald

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.