Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6000 Series and ALS-1306 Amp

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
All

I want to confirm something for a customer, and that is the exact setup for a Serial connection to a ALS-1306.

From what I can dig up, you need
  • ALS-1306 (obviously :) )
  • FTDI USB / RS232 cable to the 6000 radio
  • Null Modem adapter (Female to Female ?) 
  • MFJ DB-DB7K (not the TS480) -- the DB9 cable being Male?
Can anyone that has done this, please confirm.

Thanks, Mike

Best Answers

Answers

• WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    Mike - Aside power, I don't know exactly what the differences are between an ALS-1306 and an ALS-600, but in looking at the rear I/O, and pin out for the remote interface - they appear to be the same.

In the event you use an ARI-500 and a USB cable - I believe the (K1FQL/W8QB) cable I documented may suffice. I've been using it continuously for auto-band switching between the 6600M and the ALS-600/ARI-500 without a single glitch.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/als-600-ari-500-to-flex-6xxx-happiness

Hope this helps. Whatever path is chosen - good luck !

Jim, WQ2H

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Jim

Thanks

I just put this together.  The key point was the **** of the DB-DB7DX and this does it via CAT/RS232 on the 6000.   Mike
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    Got it.

Bottom line: Whatever flavor of cables - I can't wait until the PGXL is available.

Jim, WQ2H
  • Frank Ventura
    Frank Ventura Member
    edited April 2019
    Once the cables are hooked up, can I assume that the USB port on the Flex should be configured for CAT?

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited September 2018
    Hi Frank

Yes, you want to set it up as a CAT device and to follow the TX Slice, unless you have a 6600 series then will want it to follow the ANT port it is connected to.  If you have 2 amps, then you can dedicate one to each antenna port.

Mike

• Jim Branson
    Jim Branson Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Has anyone been able to get this combination to work?  I have a Flex 6600 and an ALS-1306.

• Ameritron/Kenwood cable DB-DB7DK (Female)
    • Flex Radio ACC-USBSERIAL fMale)
    • DB9 Male/Female Null Modem Mini Adapter 
    USB Flex Radio ACC-USBSERIAL plugged into Flex 6600 to Ameritron/Kenwood cable via 9 pin serial then using DB9 Male/Female Null Modem Mini Adapter plugged into ALS-1306.   RCA plug into ALS-1306.  7 pin round Yaesu plug is not plugged in to anything.

Settings USB Cable:
    Using CAT as cable type, TX antenna, Ant 1,  auto report enabled, 9600, 8 , none, 1 and Flow Control set to none.   

ALS-1306 is set to remote and switches to 30 meters and never changes as I change bands on Flex.

Example of logging when changing bands:

05:15:06 (TX): FA00007196046;
    05:15:07 (TX): FA00007245000;
    05:15:41 (TX): FA00001930719;
    05:15:41 (TX): FA00001940000;
    05:16:23 (TX): FA00001940000;
    05:16:30 (TX): FA00003827923;
    05:16:30 (TX): FA00003806800;

Thanks,
    Jim 
    N0LBY

• Ron Koenig
    Ron Koenig Member
    edited October 2018
    Did you ever get it to work Jim Branson ?
  • Jim Branson
    Jim Branson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    No.  I cannot get it to work.  Any suggestions for troubleshooting from the community will be welcome.

Jim N0LBY
  • Jim Branson
    Jim Branson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I managed to get the ALS-1306 to switch with a Yeasu FTDX-1200 and the AMERITRON DB-10MY cable.  That eliminates the problem being in the amp.   I suspect there maybe an issue with one of the cables.
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I got that cable you suggested and it worked!!!!!!!!!! thanks

Jim
    wu5e

• Ed Stallman
    Ed Stallman Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Will this cabling work with the 1300 as well ?

Ed N5DG
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm trying to help a friend and make up this cable above.. This is the USB to RS232 Adapter with FTDI chip cable I bought and used for my 2KFA amp that worked fine for me
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758BMXBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
    ? My question , with the Amazon cable plus the made up cable shown above  the 1306 will follow the Flex 6600 ? 
    Could someone send me a screenshot of their USB Cat Cable Setup in SSDR 

Thanks Ed N5DG
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ed, Same as the ALS606, as in the USB serial Document. USB to Serial -> null modem (wired as in the doc) -> Ameritron , Kenwood cable to rear of amp, use CAT for amp setting. Rear of amp is specially wired for each different CAT mode (Ken/Ya) . Dudley
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

A small comment... as someone who makes test adapters/cables for many technicians... I can say with certainty, make SURE you verify the pin-outs with an ohmmeter, do NOT depend on the color code. Colors can and DO vary between manufacturers. (nice work btw)
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Dudley , I guess what ur saying is the USB Cable from Amazon and the built cable won't work ? That looked easy . Guess I won't be helping my friend . You lost me on the ALS 606 and I guess this USB serial Document I can do a google search for ? I'll start a new post and see if someone can tell me what they did .. What cable to buy and where 
    Thanks Ed N5DG
  • Jim Branson
    Jim Branson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Dave,
    Thanks for the post and the 6600!  You are SO correct about the colors being different.

Jim 
  • Jim Branson
    Jim Branson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The screen shot above should be correct.  That's what I'm using.  

Jim N0LBY
  • Jim Branson
    Jim Branson Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ed,

I purchased the Flex ACC-USBSERIAL cable.  
    http://cart.flexradio.com/USB-to-Serial-adapter-for-the-FLEX-6000-series_p_1002.html

I built the cable as described above and connected it to the Flex USB to Serial cable.  The cable I built is plugged directly into the ALS-1306.  Works perfectly.    Note: I am not using a null modem adapter.   My e-mail is good on QRZ.  If you want to drop me a e-mail, I can give you my phone number if you want to talk more about it.

Jim N0LBY
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited October 2018
    Jim Tnx reply , I'll do just as you described , I bet it will work fine  

Thanks Ed N5DG
  • Ed N5DG
    Ed N5DG Member
    edited November 2018
    Jim tnx for ur post showing how to assemble the cable  from Flex 6000 to ALS 1306 . I made this cable up and sent to my friend , received a phone call today telling me how well it worked .
    Tnx agn , Ed N5DG
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    MFJ just started selling the RJ-USB6000 cable ($39.95) today for interfacing the Flex to the ARI-500.

Don - kx9q
  • W9HH - Steve
    W9HH - Steve Member
    edited January 2019
    Hello,
    I just purchased an ALS-1306 SS Amp to go with my 6400 and would like to send band data to it. 

I have the recommended FTDI USB to Serial cable connected to the DB9-F to DB9-F adapter and configured as Jim Branson suggested above. My USB cable settings are configured like the diagram above as well. 

- Band switching works perfectly except for when going to 6 meters where I get an error with the REM and PA indicators flashing.

I have double checked my wiring from pin to pin between the DB9-F connectors to verify mine matches the diagram that Jim posted above.

So then logic would suggest that the cable is doing what it should (I think), but maybe there is something wrong with the amp? Again, all bands switch correctly... except when going to 6 meters.

Anyone have thoughts on what might be causing the issue? 
    Bad amp, bad cable or something else?

Thanks!
    Steve W9HH
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Hey Michael, It would be cool if FRS could offer for sale a complete connection kit for a few of the most popular HF amplifiers. Basically all the bits needed to make a plug n play solution to connect radio to HF Amp.

Could possibly make nice arrangement with MFJ for product?

Just a thought?

• W9HH - Steve
    W9HH - Steve Member
    edited January 2019
    How about operator error??

OK - figured out the band switching error when going to 6 meters...

It looks like the last time on 6, I had inadvertently flipped the slice TX antenna over to "XVTA" and didn't notice it until a minute ago -

- Switched it to "TX1" where it belongs and all is good.
    - Sorry for the previous post!

-Steve W9HH
  • tod_WE5TR
    tod_WE5TR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Looking for anyone who has used the RJ-USB6000 cable between a Flex6700 and an ALS-1306.  The cable comes with instructions for BCD use with an ARI-500. The cable is USB on the Flex end and RJ45 on the 1306 end. 

Thx.
     Tod - WE5TR
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I could be wrong, however, I believe you can connect this cable to the flex and to the 1306 and setup in the flex cable type to BCD.  The ARI500 was required for the ALS 600/1300 but not for the ALS 606/1306.  I have an ALS 600 with the ARI500 and RJ-USB6000 cable and it works just fine.  To be sure you should make a call to AMERITRON Tech Support to confirm this.

Don -- kx9q
  • tod_WE5TR
    tod_WE5TR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thank you, Don for the reply. the cable with the recommended settings was not working for me. It was giving flashing REM and PA.

Today, I confirmed the RJ connector pins and their BCD alignment and hooked them to a DB9 with a homemade adaptor (RJ-USB6000 to DB9). I now have band control on the 1306 with the RJ-USB6000 cable. 

Thank you again!
    Tod - WE5TR
  • Pat Eastman
    Pat Eastman Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dudley, Is this Ameritron product helpful? DB-USB6000
    Thanks!
    Pat Eastman K7PWE
    Albany, Oregon

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.