Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexLogger Emerges

Comments

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I looked closer, and it shows no databases, so I re-imported the 'master' .adi file, committed it, and it still shows no database file...?? what am I missing?
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
     the first time I imported I told it to ignore the errors. The second time I think I did the same with no attempt to change anything, same result...I'll see if I can get the master file to you. Thanks for such a fun logging program. I've been kinda use to N1MM but have really taken a chining to this one.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I noticed someone saying they couldn't connect to the rig with .9.2, mine connects fine, just having trouble showing voltage and temp.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Jim,

Did you create a database using the top menu where it says <no database>   Pull down under there and create a database.  then try your import.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes,
    I will send you the information.
    And sorry just returned from a little get-a-way trip. I will start working on that first thing on Friday. Thanks
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I believe I did that but I'll try that again and get back.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    That Did the Trick Mark Thanks for the smack up side the head hihihi... I had to create what is a blank database in order to import an ADI file to the database..duhh.. again, thanks, it's working much better ;)

• Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mark,
    the software is great! 

workin fb. I am not a dxer , do mostly ragchewing on cw. Can I use Flexlogger as a regular log? Making single entry and entering into the log?

Don...w2xb
  • VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Fantastic job from the get go and getting better. Thanks a bunch Mark great job and guess what? No coal for you next Christmas you deserve the best.

Gary~73
    VE3DZP
  • Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mark<
    Figured it out. All is fb now

tu...Don  w2xb
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi Mark,
    I am getting my radio from service next Monday, so i cannot test it with radio.
    I installed latest version out of curiosity.
    One of the challange i have (and it is not just your programs) how the scaling work on 4k monitors.
    I have 2x27" 4k monitors with scaling 150%.
    So, at normal 150% scaling it everything looks unsharp

when changing "override DPI scalling" everything looks messy

Is there any work around?
    Thanks
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Sergey,

I will do some poking around but the scaling issue can be problematic for a lot of software.   Anyway I'll see what I can find out.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Don,
    I'm trying to make FlexLogger a one-size-fits-all as best I can.  For someone like yourself I could see you just having the slice window open for say Slice A and the log entry and list windows open.

When you want to log a ragchew just enter the data and hit save.  The only thing this mode will help you with is that you won't have to type in the frequency and radio mode as they will be filled in for you.

You can turn on;off the online lookup if desired.  In this simple mode it is nothing more than a logger.  You do not enable spots or any other features.

In a future release all of the panels you currently see now can be drug out into windows.  You can even combine two features like the log entry and log list into a single window and place that anywhere you want on your monitor.

So it is my hope that can be a good "general purpose logger" but it can also be good for the guys needing spots and using WSJT

Mark
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Chris, I am not sure I understand your requests.

The intent of the spot button in the log entry window is exactly for what you mention.  You've just had a qso or you are in the middle of one about to complete it, you can hit spot before you save to your log.

Then if you have logged it and realize you want to spot it, there is a spot button in the log list so you can quickly spot the last qso.

I get what you are saying about double click, and that certainly could be done, however the log entry window could get confusing to use as an edit window.  It has features that allow you to update times, modes, frequences to current values which you may not want to do when trying to fix only your RST.

I do plan to provide a "better" qso editor than the extremely low-level version in place now but I am not sure putting the data back into the entry window makes total sense.

But I can be convinced.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mark, sorry for my writing. In lower logbook  window ( where the QSO's from the past) we dont need a EDIT, SPOT  or DELETE button.

1. a double click on a QSO should open the edit window
    2. a old QSO nobody want spot it (Spot button is in upper log window - that's the right place)
    3. Delete button should be a button in Edit window

= the logbook window is then better visible  

Hope now it's a bit more clear :-)

73 Chris
  • Mike RA3FY
    Mike RA3FY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If i right understanding Chris spoke about these pieces.

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes
  • Mike RA3FY
    Mike RA3FY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Suppose so, a good idea delete the buttons (Edit Delete Spot) from these scale, and to opens the Edit window by double clicking on a QSO.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I understand the changes you want.  Here is what I am going to likely do:

Currently the columns in the log list are somewhat fixed.  During a particular run of of the program you can right click on the column header and deselect the columns you don't wish to see.  This works right now for all but the edit column.

The issue is that your choices to hide/show columns are not remembered, yet.  They will be.

So here is what I propose to do:

1) Implement the ability to remember the selected columns in the log list.  This means a one time effort by people to turn off the columns they don't want to see.  Each the program is run the columns will only show that the user has enabled.  Obviously you can reenable a column.

2) Add a double click to bring a log entry up in an editor window.

So with these two changes we get the best of both worlds.  For people that want to have the edit, delete, spot buttons they can leave them turned on.  For those who want it more like you describe they can turn them off and then double click will still edit a log entry.
  • Mike RA3FY
    Mike RA3FY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    TNX Mark 
    We're believe in your abilities!
  • Don w2xb
    Don w2xb Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hello Mark,
    When using flexlogger rig seems to cut out iwck click the restarts. /

seems to pause a split second.then starts agn. Memory in pc?

Don w2xb 

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Don,

You will need to be a bit more specific.   When any external program connects to a Flex Radio using the API there is a momentary pause, click as the new program gathers data from the radio.  But after that it should be very smooth.

That being said there have been reports that when programs post spots to the radio as FlexLogger can eventually the radio starts to have audio clicks when posting a new spot.  This is a known bug with the radio/API and not something FlexLogger can do anything about.

So if you click/jump you are seeing happens pretty much right after you connect to your radio only then that is normal.  It should be very quick.  Just a click, slight pause then everything should be fine from there.

If you are seeing this happen more often then it could be several things:

1) network - If your network is quite busy then things can get bottled up a bit.  Make sure you have gigabit ethernet.  If you don't, then it is probably time to start thinking about an update.

2) network and SSDR settings.  SSDR allows you to set very fast frame rates on the pans and very fast update rates on the waterfalls.   Keep in mind that fast = more data and more network traffic.   In all honesty you should examine your frame rates and lower them whenever you can.  This puts way less stress on your computer and network.  I find there is a balance between frame rate, waterfall rate, averaging that makes for a nice display without blasting data which has no real purpose.  IE if you are doing frame rates of 25 FPS on all of your slices, keep in mind that it is unlikely you are seeing more of your signals than 18 FPS.   The human visual tolerance level is actually down around 15.  When you go below that you start to see some things.  And probably their are some people that can tell a difference in the display between 15 and 25 FPS but what are they really seeing?

3) Without a doubt, high powered computers are good and good video cards certainly help.   But FlexLogger is NOT a CPU intensive program.  It is not trying (yet) to do real time graphics or anything really fancy.  So it should work quite well on medium power computers.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    A few suggestions:
    1. In the slices I see the XIT is not directly under the RIT probably because need another slider to balance things out. How about putting Headphone volume either below or to the right of Volume allowing other sliders to shift down.
    2. When selecting bandwidth filter it should be highlighted similar to WNB, NB, NR, etc.
    3. In the logs the refresh button and show last x QSO selection should be placed to the right of the Log/Spots/WSJT-x/Audio tabs and above the log listings, so the log window can be stretched all the way to left as the graphical chart is a nice touch but taking up valuable space.
    4. Making that QSO chart hide/show for same reason. Possibly move it to a tab.

• N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Don,  What are the specs on the system you are running? also what if any A/V
    I've seen some A/V programs that start to eat CPU resources badly. McAfee and Norton two of the worst for eating up unneeded resources. If your using one of those could you try and either create an exception rule for SSDR and Flexloger or as a simple test disable it for a minute or so and see if the problem continues.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Mike,

A version that will be available next week sometime will have dockable windows for all things.   So you will have MUCH MORE flexibility in where you put things.

As part of this change the slice code has been generalized so that once instance works for all slices.  This will make organization of the slice window much easier.  You are the second person to request the XIT and RIT line up.

The filter button highlighting is a little difficult because there is not a direct API that says this button is on.  it seems to be based on the filter and they are somewhat different between modes.  It is a goal to do this.

Qso chart hiding.  This can sort of be done right now.  Between the chart and the list is a splitter.  You cannot see it but hover your mouse over it and it will show a left-right arrow.  You can drag left to cover most of the stats.

However in the dockable windows version I believe they may become their own window so you can show them or not.

For the refresh and n qsos, I am considering a flyout that is by default hidden so you will get the full space but hovering over it will flyout and make the controls available.  Not sure yet.  But is is under consideration.
  • bobby
    bobby Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mark can you send me the install zip file for the 0.9.2 versiom, I have installed and upgraded to that version but its doing so well I dont want to upgrade any further but need an install file if I want to install it on another computer. Im happy with it now and dont want to lose it or have to upgrade again. Great job. Maybe you could put the different versions on github its free then anyone could get the version they are happiest with. Thanks so much for a super program.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Bobby,

All of the versions will be hosted.  Working on setting that up.

The download for 0.0.9.2 is:

http://184.154.226.168/flinstallers/FlexLoggerSetup-0.0.9.2.exe

You can get the older installers using the same URL but change the version number for example:   FlexLoggerSetup-0.0.9.1.exe etc.

As far as not upgrading further that is nice to know it is working well however the next version and ones that follow will offer a number of very nice things.  But of course update is up to you.

Mark
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I knew if I just waited quietly the 45% CPU usage would get fixed.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mark- Not sure if this is an issue with Flexlogger or HAMqth, when entering a qso (logging) the state field is not being populated, all else looks good, with the exception of the state
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Ok I got that Rick.   Thanks.  It was not filling the state but it is added now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.