Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

If I order a PowerGenius XL now, will it include the automatic antenna tuner? It's going to be this

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I remember an article in 73 about that. Might have been Wayne Green’s sense of humor.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    "Hello Bouvet...Amp here is a pair of LG-1500,s"
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    FDX now includes HF and poultry mode.

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    What will make amps cheap is if the Chinese decides to make them like they did with HT's and the Beofeng UV-5R. It won't compare to a PG-XL or KPA-1500 but if it's cheap enough they will sell a bunch of them. Remember, as a group hams are generally pretty cheap.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    those are allready floating around.  fortunately most the folks that work with linear amplifiers know thats a device they dont want to cut corners on.  Also keep in mind that even though ameritron amps are cheaper, it did not affect the cost of the Alpha or Acom 2000.. you get what you pay for ;-).
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Isn't Alpha kinda barely in business?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    naa they are just getting passed between owners.. the point is that ameritron makes inexpensive amps but it really doesnt dent the business of the higher end ones.. because they are a contest grade/ key down quality. again.. you get what you pay for.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2020
    Hi All The free tuner promotion has ended. However, the tuners will still be available for purchase. Mike
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    "naa they are just getting passed between owners"
    The 3rd time is a charm.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What will make amps cheap is if the Chinese decides to make them like they did with HT's and the Beofeng UV-5R.
    I hope not! The harmonics generated by one of those on 2m can key up 70cm repeaters. The chinese are already making clones of OM power amps, which use CHinese tubes.
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ria,  I and others are so happy to hear that this version of amp seems to have all the bugs out.  The rework I hope holds up and they start shipping the previously built Production Units soon....Happy Days are close at hand... "Fingers Crossed".
  • WA4FOM
    WA4FOM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks.  Will do.
  • Cedric HB9HFN
    Cedric HB9HFN Member
    edited March 2018
    It's a pity that it was only available to US customers. Outside USA it's still not possible to preorder the PGXL and thus no free tuner at all...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I remember a serious article about 20 years ago about hams converting a microwave RF deck into a high power amp for microwave freqs. It was probably 73 magazine. But not the April issue.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Mike

Since the free tuner with amp promotion has ended how about a free amp with tuner promo?

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    They already have that. Comes with their $9.000.00 tuner.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not gonna happen.. the tube used in microwave ovens is an oscillator and can't amplify. Also it is very unstable, frequency wise. It's only good for crude applications like heating. It's not even used for RADAR anymore. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    As if we don't get a good dose of RF in to our body's already?
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Way to go, Offer a free tuner with $7000 amp purchase, tell customers amp will be ready July/August 2017 then don't have amp ready continue to take deposit then end Antenna genius promotion? Good job.
    I don’t know since you could not meet your stated deadline and maybe since people are forking over $7000 for and amp and almost certainly either own soon to own a flexradio witch can be another 2K to 7K for a radio, Maybe you can find it in your heart to just extend the Antenna genius Offer? Looks like your sill making money to me and you will have much happier customers.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    When was the stated deadline, did they call it a deadline?
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It was stated back around the time of the Dayton Hamvention that anyone who preordered the PGXL prior to the end of the year would receive as a bonus the free tuner.   Flex has done things like this in the past such as offering lower introductory prices on new radios.   This is the third such bonus offer I have taken advantage of and think I've saved about $1K over the regular list prices of the total equipment I have received or in the case of the PGXL and tuner will receive.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    hmmm  The Promo was clearly stated to be ending last day of the year, 2017. Obviously Flex would like to get these amps out ASAP but won't until they are ready. The customers will be happy when they see the amp and the tight integration to the software. Will be worth the wait.
    In my other hobby, telescopes, was wait-listed 7 years on a scope, with a 100% deposit at around the 6 month time frame. A different scope vendor had a 2 year wait with the final year also at a 100% deposit.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I can not find anywhere and I saw the video, were Flex stated a deadline or, we promise anyplace. This is the thing many have done in the past is state that they did in order to make a point what ever that is, who knows?

The wording has been, We plan to ship,,we hope to ship...this is our goal.
    I think it is best for those who find a down payment like this to be very difficult and life shattering to simply wait till they stock them in about a years time, then buy one.
  • WA4FOM
    WA4FOM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I don't see the Genius tuner offered for sale on the Flex website.  Am I blind? 
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OM Power uses the exact same Chinese tubes, FU728. They are outstanding. Mine delivers 2300W on all bands with a single tube.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It is a new product as well. Not yet introduced by 4O3A. No price and just a few tidbits of info. All we know is that it is remotable with additional kit. Will handle full output of PG xl and that it has one input and 3 switchable outputs that can be programmed per-antenna.
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Chinese does not always equal cheap or poor quality. I use a 4000W @ 70V power supply to power my 2 x MRX1K80 LDMOS amp. The PSU is $550 shipped from China and is a marvel of quality engineering.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Varistor..  could you PM me with that PS info please.  Call at arrl dot net
    Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.