Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will the Maestro need to be on the same lan as the radio to upgrade to 2.0?

Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

I leave my Maestro at my vacation home and want to know if it will have to be on the same lan as the radio to upgrade to 2.0.  I use softether vpn and R PI to connect for operating now but have always brought the Maestro home to perform any software/firmware update.  I just plug it into the same switch that my 6700 is plugged into.  Will I be able to upgrade the Maestro from the remote location after I upgrade the 6700 or will I have to bring it home?

Thanks,

Jeff N3VE

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Jeff,

To upgrade the software it needs to be on the same LAN. Upgrades can't be done via SmartLink (yet). 

You will also need to be physically at the radio to add the radio to SmartLink. It will require a physical button push (PTT) to get the radio paired.

Ria

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jeff,

You can update the Maestro separately from another location. You just select the new software version on the Maestro.

However, you MUST be in front of the radio to press the PTT on the mic or back panel in order to register the radio. This prevents someone from "stealing" control of your radio without your knowledge. This is a ONE TIME event when you first register the radio and you'll never have to do it again unless you change your login information. 

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Ria and Mack have described the SmartLink pairing procedure.  But in general, any SmartSDR client program can be installed anywhere, with or without the radio in the LAN.  It has to be this way so that a remote client can run whatever version of the software it needs to run to access a radio.

The software license is installed in the radio and is associated with the radio, not the clients.  If your radio has Version 2 licensed to it, then it can be connected to by any authorized version 2 client.  Since the license is in the radio, not in the clients, you can install version 2 clients anywhere.  If you attempt to connect to a version 1 radio with a version 2 client, that connection will be refused because the radio is not licensed to run V 2.  I'm not sure what will happen if you try the reverse.  It may be refused because of software incompatibility.  But, you can install multiple versions of the client software on any system, so you can have a V1 client for one radio and a V2 client for another.

When Maestro goes out on the net to look for versions of software to run, it hasn't looked for a radio yet. You could have the latest V1 and V2 codes installed in Maestro then pick the appropriate version for the radio you intend to operate.  The V1 radio would need to be in the same LAN (or connected via VPN), but the V2 radio could be anywhere connected via SmartLink.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Dave makes a very important point.  Let's not confuse the SmartLink radio pairing procedure with Installing SmartSDR v2.0; they are separate procedures.

Let me clarify and reiterate a few points made

The software license is installed in the radio and is associated with the radio, not the clients.

This is very important.  Always keep this in mind when discussing the 2.0 upgrade
    If you attempt to connect to a version 1 radio with a version 2 client, that connection will be refused because the radio is not licensed to run V 2. 

Correct.  You will have to upgrade the radio to 2.0 to proceed.

I'm not sure what will happen if you try the reverse.  It may be refused because of software incompatibility. 

It will install the 1.x firmware on your radio because all radios are licensed for it and reboot.  Then you can run the 1.x client with your radio.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, my mistake for not being clear. 

Client software is independent. SmartLink requires physical access.
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    edited June 2017
    I am still not clear on this.  I will be at the 6700 to upgrade and pair.  After that is done I will go to the vacation home and want to operate the Maestro.  Will that work?  I will also have access to the shack PC via teamviewer.  That is how I operate DDUtil and my amp. Thanks, Jeff
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes, it will work seamlessly while remote. Mack W4AX
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Mack and others.  I don't know why I thought the Maestro had to be updated in the shack with the radio.   Jeff
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    The maestro gets its software from the flex mothership. So it can be upgraded anywhere.
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    edited June 2017
    Ria, different question, if 2.0 comes out while I am at the remote location can I upgrade the 6700 via teamviewer?  Not sure I would want to try, I have had an upgrade where I had to hard reset the radio.  Seems this would be possible though.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    NO You have to physically hit PTT to register the radio to your SmartLink account Solution: put a remote relay across the PTT port so you can register the radio remotely I]I am going to do that formy radio so I can register it with new versions of alpha code when I'm away
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Actually the answer is yes. You can upgrade to 2.0 remotely. But you can't register the radio in smartlink until you can physically push the PTT. So all other functions of 2.0 will work except smartlink.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Howard - please read the thread.  This is not about SmartLink Registration, it is about software updates.  You're confusing the issue.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.