Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

IC7300

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What do you use for 3rd party software and digital modes, when a computer is not used?
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Precisely.  In this day and age, the question is not, "why be tied to the computer", but "why not embrace it to the max?"  If I want to feel nostalgic, I can take one of my QRP rigs out on the deck with my little portable antenna and make a couple of QSOs, like I do at our northwoods cabin, but they're not likely to count toward any DXCC Challenge points.  I'm looking forward to my Maestro and WAN so I can be serious about radio in the middle of the Chippewa National Forest!
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Why do you think this radio doesn't have a computer?  It's all computer.

73  W9OY
  • Larry - WA7LZO
    Larry - WA7LZO Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    So, whilst in the forest, I assume your Internet WAN will be supplied by your cell phone? If so, what's the point? Why not just make a cell phone call? Just sayin'...
  • W3DCB
    W3DCB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    image  Very well said...you express yourself well in writing...de W3DCB  Danie
  • F M
    F M Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    The 7300 will be a great FieldDay rig!
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
  • Jack - WA2OLZ
    Jack - WA2OLZ Member
    edited April 2016
    Part of the learning process for a different technology Lee. The op should not have had the preamp turned on or at least increase the attenuation to stop ADC overload. A more sophisticated solution would be to have the software/firmware make the adjustment in the background.
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited April 2016
    I agree the 7300 will be a great field day radio.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Sherwood released some numbers and it's not all operator error, which is surprising since the 7300 uses a 16bit ADC.  I think the Icom design team may be the novices in this situation, not the operator.  I think for a single man field day operation or fly in DX-pedition this radio will shine, for a multiband effort the jury is still out.  

73  W9OY

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Are you sure it's 16-bits? A review I read, but unfortunately can't find now, identified a Xilinx part that is a 14-bits. Then I mentioned this to an Icom employee who seemed to agree in a tentative way. If it is 14-bits, the lower numbers wouldn't be surprising.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I got that from a AB4JO blurb on the radio.  Could well be a 14 bit part.

Here is the sherwood dope

http://www.dj0ip.de/sherwood-forest/sherwood-xcvr-tests/icom-ic-7300/
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I just heard collaborating info (real time) from a source other than Mr Sherwood that the adc choice is not as good as other manufactures which leads to overloads.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Larry forgetting the fact that the 7300's display is small, even if it were bigger, I do not think the 7300 has the ability to produce two pans of two separate bands. So apples to apples two 7300s would be required to compete with a single 6300. So that is $3000 versus $2500 for a single flex. Plus it may just take two 7300 to equal the performance of a single 6300. Well at least icom is trying.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Producing two pans on two separate bands is REALLY that important to most users?

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry, but this is nonsense.  The IC-7300 uses an LTC2208 16-bit ADC.  Any tendency to overload is not due to the ADC chip being used. 
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Oh, how the "other half" lives.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Don't shoot the messenger. You may be able to read the full review soon. Take it up with the reviewer's opinion.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Apples to apples dude not 6700 verse $1500.00. Just keeping it real.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Barry

How do you know it's the 16 bit chip?  Altera makes a 14 bit LTC2208 as well and they are pin to pin compatible.  

73  W9OY
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

According to AB4OJ’s page it’s a LTC2208-14 (14 bit):

http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7300/main.html

• Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Apologies, I'm just going to back out of this whole conversation because there's all kinds of unconfirmed information flying around.  There were several reports of it being a 16-bit chip on the IC7300 forum but they could all be wrong.  Maybe it's 14-bit, maybe it's 16-bit.  Icom conveniently leaves the RX ADC p/n off of the schematics they posted.
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I was thinking of someone W , NW of Adam. Say that Barry is right that this adc is more than sufficient for the task at hand , however, the ability to process  that data within their rig appears to be lacking then. There seems to be a bad fit somewhere.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I would trust Adam Farson as he usually gets it right - 14 Bit part...plus he seems to have a backdoor into Icom....
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I heard a guy this weekend with a 7300, he said that the overload is user mistake. some sort setup problem. I believe it was Ray, can't remember his call
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    My bad he appears to have two callsigns. I was thinking however what a coincidence two Adams.
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, now they all seem to  be saying 14-bit.  That makes sense for a $1500 radio.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    The 14 bit part is $50/per in 1000's quanties.  I tried to figure out the FPGA cost but it looked like a quote process was required
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The 7300's I am hearing on the air sound FB and the owners seem quite pleased. Listen up on 14.178 Mhz and you might hear a few. One ham was comparing the 7300 with his 6300 and they both sounded excellent. He was getting better reports with his 7300 and no one was complaining about the pricing.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I'm anxious to see if Rob is correct that in a couple of months they'll be below $1000. I could see my way clear to put in a GTC order for a 50w 7300 at $800.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.