Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dirty distorted transmit signal

Comments

• David - N5DTX
    David - N5DTX Member
    edited November 2015
    Thank you for that excellent explanation Steve.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Now THAT is impressive customer service. Serious bug reported, engineering and support collected data, found a candidate solution, engineering created a proof of concept, identified the problem, and created a fix. All while keeping the customers informed. Impressive. I wish my own engineering team was able to do half as well! Peter K1PGV
  • Randy Diddel
    Randy Diddel Member
    edited October 2015
    Add me to the list of ops that have the issue.  K5RHD
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Thanks to the team at Flex for all their hard work tracking the problem down and working to correct it. An excellent example of listening to customer and taking their problems seriously - great service guys, thank you.

Tim
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    For whatever it's worth, installing and using FreeVD caused my 6300 to exhibit the distorted audio symptom.  A radio reset fixed the problem.
  • N7AIG
    N7AIG Member
    edited October 2015
    Many thanks to Steve for his deeper explanation. Flex appears to be on the frontier (at least in consumer gear) searching for that best boundary between FPGA and conventional microprocessor delegation of tasks. Interesting experiment!
  • George Moranian
    edited April 2020
    Fantastic!
    I've been away and now getting caught up on e-mails.
    Thanks to everyone at FlexRadio, Great job on finding the issue and the fix.
    Looking forward to the software release.

George N1NAZ
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sorry to report the issue remains in SSDR V1.5.1 with my 6300!  The issue pops up less frequently but it is still there.  Stopping DAX control panel and restarting it fixes the problem.  I've only seen it three times since V1.5.1 was released but it is still happening.  I'm running low power JT-65/JT-9 at the time.  The radio is on 24/7. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Rob AB1NJ
    Rob AB1NJ Member
    edited March 2017
    I'd like to report that I just had this happen for the first time this morning. I'm running v1.5.1. I had left the rig running for several days now without rebooting, and when I xmitted this morning JT65 I had the "shoulders" pattern and a report of distorted audio. I rebooted everything icluding the Flex 6300 and it returned to normal. I made no other changes except for rebooting.  Rob AB1NJ
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, that does it. I did reset my 6k5 and the audio problem went away.
    Alex DH2ID
  • Mike KD2CJJ
    Mike KD2CJJ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I have the issue also.. I didnt think of trying to **** DAX.  When get home I will see if the problem persists.  I have another thread that has the issue outlined.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Question for those reporting distortion... Is the distortion only when sending audio via DAX? Or does it appear on the Mike also? This may be an important diagnostic question...
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Ken,

I've got an open Help Desk ticket with Flex regarding this issue.  I've been working with Tim over the past week and have provided as much info regarding the issue back to Flex as I could.  In my case I've seen it on the Mic as well as the DAX.  It happens more on DAX.  Over the weekend it only happened one time while using the Mic during the CQ WW contest.  I had to restart the radio to clear it. 

When it happens while using DAX (JT-65/JT-9)  Stopping DAX and restarting DAX or just de-selecting the DAX stream fixes the issue.

Cal/N3CAL  (Flex 6300) 
  • Rob AB1NJ
    Rob AB1NJ Member
    edited April 2020
    I continue to see this problem. It happens after leaving the radio on overnight for several days. Rebooting the software does not correct it, I have to reboot the compter. I don't have to reboot the radio. Here is a screenshot from a JT65 transmission:

After reboot with no other changes:

Also, it is very clearly heard on the monitor. Sounds terrible.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Maybe leaving the software and radio running for several
    days is the problem. I start my radio only if I need it, and
    that is when the band condx are ok ;-)
  • Rob AB1NJ
    Rob AB1NJ Member
    edited November 2015
    I do agree there is a connection there, but it shouldn't happen.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You're right, Rob. I'm also very interested to know why this
    is happening. As rebooting the PC corrects it, it is likely
    a Windows/soundcard/driver problem. Did you try restarting
    DAX? Does this correct it?
  • Rob AB1NJ
    Rob AB1NJ Member
    edited November 2015
    I tried that and it didn't work. I had to reboot the computer.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Flex is working on this with you right? they did fix the problem, now have to find out what is going on at your system.

• George Moranian
    edited November 2015
    I leave my 6300 running 24/7, after the fix I have had no issues running SSB, Digital, or CW. Just an FYI
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I am working with Rob.  I suspect long latency DPCs corrupting the audio buffers and we are collecting data to confirm my assumption.
  • David - N5DTX
    David - N5DTX Member
    edited November 2015

Abed,
    I have not been able to replicate the issue in TUNE with SSB or CW.  I have not been able to replicate the issue on command at all.  I did see this crop up in SSB prior to my post last month, but in recent weeks I have spent more time in JT65. 

I have not had any issues in several weeks, so I assumed that the 1.5.1 update had resolved the problem.  Over the weekend I encountered the problem again and I was able to get a few screen captures on two different bands using two different antennas.

30 meters

40 meters

When this happens, the only way I have been able to resolve it is to shutdown both the computer and the radio and restart each.  I have tried to turn off DAX and turn it back on, but that gets me no joy.

I have a Flexradio 6700 running version 1.5.1
    Dell with i7 processor, 16 gig ram
    Windows 8.1

David

• Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited November 2015
    Tim,

Could you share with the group the findings of my Help Desk Ticket on this issue? 
    In my case there were no long latency DPC's.  

Casl/N3CAL
  • Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL
    edited November 2015
    George,

How is your 6300 and computer interfaced?  Are they wired and if so,  what type switch do you use? 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Rob AB1NJ
    Rob AB1NJ Member
    edited November 2015
    My 6300 is connected directly to computer via ethernet cable. Computer is W7 i7 920 with 16gig ram and SSD.  I have no response yet from Flex on help ticket. I think Tim may have me confused with someone else.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Cal - I will share the information I provided with you once I confirm the state of his DPCs.  I do not want there to be any confusion or unrealistic expectations set because long duration DPCs will probably continue to be problematic even with the changes we made to the DAX ring buffers.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Rob- you are right.  I am working with someone else that has a very similar name and call.  

Can you please open a HelpDesk support ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so I can assign you a case number and provide you the instructions for determining your DPC latency?  For details on how to submit a HelpDesk support ticket, please refer to the following URL: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Supp... 
  • Rob AB1NJ
    Rob AB1NJ Member
    edited November 2015
    Tim, I did this morning. Thanks.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    You should have just received an reply from me.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    David - please submit a support ticket via our HelpDesk (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) so we can assign you a case number.  For details on how to submit a HelpDesk support ticket, please refer to the following URL: http://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118688-How-to-Submit-a-Request-for-Technical-Supp...   Once the support ticket is submitted, a support engineer will be in contact so we can work on the issue.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.