Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

N1MM+ setup with SmartSDR

Les Brown
Les Brown Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm trying to set up N1MM+ with SmartSDR for a Flex 6500. I must be missing something obvious. In SmartCAT it says to use COM port 5 for 3rd party software, so I selected that in the N1MM+ port configuration. I can see the frequency change in the N1MM+ header when I scroll the frequency with my FlexControl. However, there is a message at the bottom of the N1MM+ window "No CW port is set in Config". How do I configure this to use the Flex 6500 built-in keyer? I'm not using a WinKeyer.

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Les

SmartSDR doesn't have CW-controlled comm ports yet (like it does in PowerSdR for the legacy radios). I use a WinKey keyer from K1EL to interface between N1MM and the radio.

• Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Or do what I did - search on here for the kenwood cat control commands required to utilise the ssdr Cwx built in keyer - someone on here posted their n1mm cw f keys template and I just copied and pasted into n1mmplus cw function keys file and then saved it as "flex cw keys template" file in n1mmplus - I then just edit that basic file to suit each type of Hf contest I do and sometimes save it as a file for that contest with a relevant file eg for rsgb commonwealth contest I would edit the f1 key command to include "cq beru" and the same for cw ops qso parties or cw open contest I edited the file to say "cq cwopen" . I have my paddle plugged into my 6500 radio and can send fills on the paddle or. I can use the f1 key etc to send cq via the cat command which triggers the ssdr Cwx built in keyer, and either have the cw speed the same or untick the synch option if you want a different sped for the paddle sending. It works well and I have not therefore wired up my win key microham keyer for the rear of my 6500 or 6300 and just use it with my legacy Icom ic7400 radio on 2m contests. 73 Steve gw0gei / gw6j
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tom's Tutorial is good.
    IF you want to do it without 3rd party interfaces such as DDUtil or Commander, you can simply use CAT to open up multiple Dedicated Virtual Ports and one or two PTT Ports.  (I actually have three)
    Then you have two options:
    1) Use one port for the rig to software communication, and another port for the PTT.
    Or
    2) Tell N1MM+ to use CAT commands to control PTT.

Either way works.

But remember, you can only use one software program with each individual Dedicated port at the same time.  So if you have a Logger, RTTY Program, WSJT program, Voice Keyer, etc, they cannot use the same port at the same time.  You need to provide separate ports, or you must close any other programs that use the same port.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Correct, Neal.  I wish they would port the CW Key over to a Virtual Serial port line like in PSDR.  It would be a great addition, although I agree that CAT & serial port access is quickly becoming obsolete technology.  .  I have learned how to key CW from N1MM+ using the CWX memories when doing major contesting.  But I cannot send CW from any of my N3FJP programs because they use a serial CW Keyer interface.  ACLog is still my favorite day-to-day logger, because I have been using it for about 12 years.  I would like to use it when casually DXing.  I don't want to pay for WinKeyer when I already have a $4400 rig that has an excellent built-in keyer. 
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    What if you create a PTT port in SmartCat using the DTR line and then tell N1MM to use that port for CW.  For some reason I think I tried that when I had my 6700 and it worked OK....I think....it was a while ago. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you do that, it just keys the PTT as CW, which doesn't help much. I tried it, too!  When I tried it, I heard it keying the CW and said, "Hey! It works.....oh...no it doesn't!   Rats."  ha ha!
  • W9KG
    W9KG Member
    edited May 2018
    Has this issue been resolved or is it still not possible to do CW keying from N1MM+?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    That was sooooo 7 months ago. :-)

SmartSDR v1.6 has many new features for integrating with N1MM specifically.  SmartSDR CAT has a WinKeyer emulation mode
  • W9KG
    W9KG Member
    edited May 2016
    Sweet! I'm shopping for a new radio and hope to make a decision by the time Dayton comes around. Looking a the 6500 and the Anan-100D.  Will you be having any deals at Dayton?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Stop by the booth at Dayton.  We plan to have a station with N1MM integration.  I'll do my best to ensure there is a set of paddles attached so you can give it a test drive.
  • W9KG
    W9KG Member
    edited May 2016
    When I'm contesting I don't touch the paddles at all. N1MM+ does all the keying by pressing function keys. That's why I wanted to make sure it works. I'll look you up on Friday Tim. Thanks. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.