Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexControl with v1.4.16

Terry K7NY
Terry K7NY Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in FlexControl

With v1.4.16 I have to start SmartSDR two times to get the FlexControl to work. I down grade to v1.4.11 and it works like it should. In v1.4.16 this only happens when I shutdown the computer and 6300 and power supply. If I leave the power supply and radio on  the FlexControl works first time when I start the computer. Anyone else seeing this? The FC shows up in Device Manger every time. I double check it before I state SmartSDR for the second time.

Thanks for helping

Terry

K7NY

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Terry
    My Flexcontrol had its com port reassigned by windows, when I did the upgrade, once I corrected the assigment It worked, it didn't require a reboot or a reinstall of anything.
    See if you port assignment still matches.
    73, Jay NO5J  
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I am seeing the same as you with the 6500.  Sure Flex will get it figured out soon.  73s Jim K4JAF
  • Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    No problem here. BTW: I'm using Windows 8.1. What are you guys using that are having trouble with? Win 7?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Win8.1 here but I solved it.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    My first guess would be that you have not turned off power management on the USB hubs inside the device manager. Go to your control panel and look for Device Manager. Then look for USB Controllers. Expand that and double click on each item that is called a hub. See if you are presented with a tab called Power Management. If so, uncheck each checkbox that you see!
  • Terry T
    Terry T Member
    edited July 2015

I am using 8.1, the com port is not changing. Like I said it works perfect in 1.4.11.

I will check the power management also.

Terry

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    We are aware of this issue.  It does not seem to be related to the FlexControl driver or Windows and its crazy interactions with all things USB.  And it is intermittent which makes it hard to find root cause.

We believe it has something to do with how SmartSDR is detecting the presence of a FlexControl that is connected to your PC.  We investigated it yesterday and will continue to look into it next week.  At this point restarting SmartSDR or possibly disabling and re-enabling it in the Setup is how to mitigate the issue.
  • Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Hi Neal,

I followed your advice and it seems to have fixed the problem. I have a Flex 6500 and my computer runs Windows 8.1.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

• Terry K7NY
    Terry K7NY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I tried that and it didn't help.

Terry

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Just got around to updating SSDR yesterday (Sat).

I am running WIN7 Pro 64. Flex control is on com12.
    I notice in CAT that com4 / 14 is gone. Windows control panel sees it but not CAT.
    I add a comport13 / 23 in CAT, reassign it and it turns to 4/14.
    The part that makes no sense is that at this point the flex knob starts working.
    Devil if I know, glad you're on the job Tim.
    Lemme know what you figure out.

Clay N9IO
  • Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015

Hi Neal,

The mystery deepens. When I booted up my system this afternoon I had no flex control. When I looked at the eight hub boxes I had unchecked, I found the first box was now checked. I unchecked the first box and my flex control is back.

Who is the mystery box checker? I bet Tim knows.

Tom

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Tom, I have seen this happen, even on the computer I am building right now for a customer and I have no idea how these get reset. 

• Tom--W4FAS
    Tom--W4FAS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Hi Neal, One last data point. I lost the Flex Control again, I looked at the eight hub boxes and they all were still unchecked.. Thus ends my career as a trouble shooter. I am really much better at drinking **** anyway. 73, Tom
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

It must be a very intermittent problem.  I had the same problem with the Flex Control not working on reboot of the computer and 6500 shut down...  Attached it via DDUtil and all fine..  Went back to controlling it on SmartSDR and has worked just fine for 2 days now with reboots, etc..

So not sure myself what is happening, sure flex will get a grip on it.. 

73s Jim K4JAF

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This sounds like a different problem.  One where you have "ghosted" virtual com ports that are confusing Windows and any application that uses serial ports.  Here is an article you can use to remove the ghosted com ports

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200883925-Removing-Hidden-or-Ghosted-Com-ports
  • Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016
    Yup am seeing this as well in the current version.

If I disable and enable the flex control driver in the device manager MMC then it's detected by SSDR the moment the device becomes active again and becomes usable.

However from power on the Flex control is not seen in SSDR, if you open the FC applet in SSDR it shows that the flex control is not present even when it is working as expected.

However and of interest DDUtil cannot take control of the knob as it says the com port is in use by another program - which I assume is SSDR even though it cannot use the control nor see its presence it has still flagged the port for itself.

No amount of reboots helps only the disable and enable the driver in the hardware MMC.

73 Steve
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    The mystery box checker is Windows.  It is the USB Selective Suspend feature.

Refer to this article: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204290929-How-to-Disable-Power-Management-for-USB-c...

• Terry T
    Terry T Member
    edited July 2015

I tried this and unchecking all the boxes but it still takes two times to get the FC to work. Maybe  Windows 10 will work better. Everything else works great.

Terry

• Bill
    Bill Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Unfortunately, I am getting the same problem with the Flex Control but the software update has cured one problem I was getting and that was losing the Network connection on a regular basis. 1.4.16 seems to have cured that problem.
    73, Bill
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I do not have Flex Control and it happens almost all the time, need to start twice
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Add me to the list. Never had this problem before upgrade to last update to 1.4.16. When booting ssdr flex is not detected and i have to plug and unplug flexcontrol several times to get it to work. Again, this has not been a problem prior to 1.4.16
  • GM4WCE
    GM4WCE Member
    edited July 2015
    I too have this issue. Not critical but a nusience. Hope for a fix soon. Peter GM4WCE
  • Terry T
    Terry T Member
    edited July 2015

I have been playing around with the FC this morning, in my desktop I have DDutil V3 for my amp only nothing else is checked. If I start DDutil before SSDR the FC works first time every time.

I went to my laptop and connected the FC ( no DDutil installed ) and it works first time every time.

I looked in Cat on the desktop and under physical ports /or foreign virtual ports shows com2 and com45 (FC ), on my laptop I don't see any other ports except the virtual com ports on both lap or desk.

Terry 

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    For only one time over a period of a year, Flex Control died. This happened a few weeks ago with 1.4.16

Turning of/on SSdr had no effect.

Unplugging the FC and replugging fixed it.

This incident happened just recently after I decided to download and play with ddutil for the very first time. The reason I downloaded it was simply to observe the termperature. So I fiddled with ddutil for a while then closed it and haven't used it since. 
    Windows 8.1 here...
    Happened only one time and not since then. 
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Happens every time to me. Switched back to 1.4.11
    Windows 7 Pro 64

Mike W9OJ
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yes yes!! this version does not pick up the flex control.  took me 5 times to get it working. does not happen in prior versions at all.
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Here are two screenshots or error messages when trying to connect the Flex Control...

imageimage
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This has happened to me several times now, after turning off SSDR and leaving the rig and computer powered up overnight. If I go I nto the setup/radio tab and turn the flex control off for a few seconds, then enable it again, it comes back to life.
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just got my brand new FlexControl yesterday and it has never worked (with 1.4.16 or anything else for that matter). About to send it back for a refund when I read these posts. I'll wait a few more days I guess.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Fred,  I can bet that the Flexcontrol has been assigned a comm port address that is already in use, which is why it doesn't work. Have you looked at the Ports section of the Device Manager?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.