Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Succesful 6000 Power On/Standby Control on the Lan Solution with WeMo

James Nelson
James Nelson Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Applying the open collector voltage as Steve N5AC advised then a small relay means an iOS or Android app with a Belkin "WeMo" IP switch & plug pack allows me full control to put my 6000 into "Standby or On" so the gps reference keeps running. Great solution, happy camper. Small caveat until the next release is power off twice for the command to activate the stanby state, no big deal.image

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Cool! Do you use the WeMo to control a small power supply that runs the relay? Any chance for a diagram of your very nice solution?
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi Geoge, Not being the sharpest tool in the shed I have to find a simple way to explain as my schematic drawing skills are non extexistent. The most basic explanation is I did this; 1. Ran a + - line to the RCA live pin on the remote plug socket with a 2.2k resistor in series from the 6000 power supply rear as it is always on and I desired a standby mode for the GPS 10mghz out to my Flex1500 on WSPR at all times. 2. Found a used 12v mini relay and used the normally open contacts and connected them to the RCA directly AFTER the 2.2k resistor. 3. Ran another + - from the relay coil to an old 12v plug pack and plugged it into the Belkin WeMo with an old 12v dc plug pack. 4. Downloaded to andoid (or iPhone app) and it works. Note : To place into standby you need to turn on and off twice as I believe the next release will fix the switch "double push" bug... so I saw post in the community. Hope this helps but it does work and my android is with everywhere so solution for me solved. Steve N5AC made me see the light with the open collector remote port
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited September 2017
    We just need a photo of the app that says; FAN LAMP CURLING IRON FLEX-6000 ;-)
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    OK.... Now the XYL has spotted your reply in my email its off to our local version of Home Depot for more switches. Now you have started a remote craze here thats going to dent my already bruised credit cards. ..... LOL :-)image
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    James is now "leader of the pack" -- just hooked my WeMo up and am enjoying the ability to switch my radio on and off remotely. Geo
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Anyone capable of sharing a schematic diagram?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Here you go. It's basic, but works like a champ. I also have an LED in parallel with the relay coil for tally purposes, but it's purely optional.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Built it all into a small box and that's all she wrote...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Looks like a marketing opportunity to me ;-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    You know the next question will be for a BOM with part numbers, right? ;-)
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    For those who are interested in the Wemo solution, Amazon is having a 1 day sale on these. This is the best price they have been since Black Friday. http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_36900_112206160_dotd_h_t
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    TNX - Just ordered one
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    TNX - I just ordered two. One to cycle power my FLEX-6700 remotely as James and George have led the way. The second WeMo will cycle power off and on to an MFJ-998RT remote antenna tuner which sometimes requires a power cycle when moving from a lower band to a higher band. This happens because the tuning solution from the previous band results in a very high SWR on the new band. (The power injector is mounted after the remote antenna switch that allows the antenna tuned with the MFJ-998RT to be used in two different locations. Therefore, the WeMo will cycle power from either operating location, or during remote operation of the FLEX-6700.)
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks, Matt! Ordered another to experiment with, plus a wall switch to remotely turn on the lights in my teenager's room without violating the sanctity of her nest...
  • James Nelson
    James Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Think we better check to see if Belkin is listed on the "New York Stock Exchange", I am sure there will be no insider trading issues. Keep it under wraps gentlemen.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I recently added a remote (feedpoint mounted) antenna tuner to my system. The MFJ 998RT does a great job of matching my antenna, but does occasionally need to be reset by having power disconnected briefly. When I'm in the shack, it's easy to flip a switch, but with my remote operations, I usually have to call my tech support rep (teenage daughter) to reset.

The WeMo project worked great for rig control, but now another set of contact closures would sure help remotely reset the tuner. Enter the Global Cache IP2CC. Three closures controlled by an ethernet controlled device. Control from anywhere with Roomie Remote app or similar (open the necessary ports on your router).

As the shack has evolved, I've eliminated wall warts and added a deep cycle 12 volt battery to my station bus. The WeMo solution became a little clunky as a result. Although, as you can read above, they work fine if your architecture is appropriate.

Now my Flex remote on and tuner reset are accessible anywhere. Looking for a use for the third relay. I wonder if I could make it a CW key?

The IP2CC is available from a variety of places on line.

Remote operation is a blast.

Geo
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    This is great but I was wondering if the Flex 6000 will ever be able to be turned on/off without the need to use any external devices?  As an example, I have both the Elecraft KPA500 and KAT500 both of which can be turned on and off via software control.  No other devices are required.

Norm - W7CK
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Norm, if the link between the Flex (a radio server) and SSDR (a client) is the problem, it could lead to a hang not recoverable by software. Thus, the hard closure. While a software "on/off" might be good for some circumstances, I like the ability to remotely reboot the server directly. I'm attaching a shot of the interface for those interested. image
  • Joe Bales
    Joe Bales Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    HI George

can you explain how the Flex is connected to the Global cache unit.  if you explained that I am missing it.  I assume the Remote RCA jack on the back of the flex connects to one of the 3 ports?  if so is it just 2 wires direct or some other electronics involved?

thanks
    K4JKB
  • EduardoCarvalho
    EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have been using this wifi enabled switch. It is cheaper than the WeMo and no need to create a relay box. I bought directly from the manufacturer and received it in a week. Software is not WeMo quality, but support is very good. http://en.usr.cn/1-Channel-Output-WiFi-Remote-Control-Relay-dc-power.html I also use a WeMo to control the power supply ON/OFF. This way I can reset each device independently.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Just two wires - contact closure to the RCA connector. Remote on needs to be enabled in the Flex setup.
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Top of the list of course....

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    For those that want to see what's inside, just saw this:

http://edn.com/design/consumer/4440797/Teardown--WeMo-Switch-is-highly-integrated
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    For my remote project i have opted for this one  http://www.digital-loggers.com/220.html

8 socket so have room for Radio ,Linear , Astron PSU and so on  ,simple scripting permit to sequence power up or power down and if VPN routeur  crash build in "watch dog" power cycle it 
    so it usefully when  radio was mountain top  200 mile away 

have initially planed to solder a opto-coupleur on one of the relay coil for control the remote on of radio  ,but idea on that tread may better and keep the warenty of the power bar  ..

p.s. it have more expensive unit that also monitor power usage  may useful when need to share electric invoice  

Marc  VE2OLM
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am planning to use this unit.  It is very similar to the WiMo but about 1/3 the cost.
    I bought three of them at Christmas from Amazon.
    I have been playing with them to get used to the software by turning lights on and off from my office via my iPhone both via WiFI and Cellular.  It works well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IWHDAKA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s...

It is only US$21.99 and has applications for iPhone/iPad and Android phones.
    I will be using a 117VAC relay connected to the switched AC of the Ankuoo Neo and using two N.O. contacts from the relay to switch the remote port on and off.  I see no reason, other than fear of short circuits, to use a wall wart or other power supply to activate a 12 volt relay when a 117 VAC will do the trick.  Unfortunately the relays I ordered won't arrive for several weeks.

I will use another unit to control the 12 PS feeding the Flex and other rigs in case I need to do a complete cold reboot, and will use a third unit to power cycle the computer if necessary.

One of them may do back-up duty as a vacation lamp-minder.  I won't be leaving the station wired for remote ops all the time because of the tendency for Indiana to have pop-up severe thunderstorms with lightning for over half the year.  (There ARE some advantages to living where it gets colder in the winter!)

Ken - NM9P

• Patrick ON8PL
    Patrick ON8PL Member
    edited July 2017
    The 12V power supply for my Flex 6500 has always been on a mains switch controlled by my home security system. I hesitated on installing yet another device to control the remote input on the Flex.

However, I found out that if you just leave the input grounded all the time (using a shorted RCA plug) the Flex turns on as soon as 12V power is switched on (locally or remotely).

To turn it off the 12V power supply can be turned off (again locally or remotely) resulting in an unexpected power loss to the Flex, but a proper shutdown it is still possible using the front power button.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    ... a soft button in SSDR called "Power Off"

It will give me a better feeling if i like to stop remote working and i can shutdown my Flex6 on normal way (like press Power button on my F6 - then switch off the PSU

Then i can switch off also any MEMO to switch off the PSU.

If i like to restart remote i start MEMO switch for PSU and then F6 came up

Bad idea?

Chris
  • Patrick ON8PL
    Patrick ON8PL Member
    edited July 2017
    Good idea. Even when not working remotely it can be handy to be able to turn off the Flex using SmartSDR.
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    And UL, CSA, FCC approvals and certification labels, ISO 9001 support, along will MIL-SPEC documentation and SCIF compliance. Final price: $5,999 in quantities of 1000 or more.

• K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I find a simple ground at the "remote on" RCA is not turning the radio on.   "Remote" is blue in the radio set up.  The radio itself is off.  Ground is supplied by a  relay.  The V2 hardware manual notes a max 3.3v dc.  Should I be reading this that I should be pulling a +3v line to ground to make the remote on work?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.