Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Succesful 6000 Power On/Standby Control on the Lan Solution with WeMo

2»

Comments

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Shorting the rca center and ground turns the radio on, disconnecting the short turns the radio off.
  • K6MBY
    K6MBY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thank you for the replies.  I found my ground wire had come lose from the Euroblock connector>  Reconnect wire and all is well....

Hardy,,, nice interface.  I am considering an Expert amplifier and may come back for your design.
  • wb7ond
    wb7ond Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Did you notice the 26% to 46% ratio of 890 reviews vs 18% to 53% of 5,618 reviews?

• Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    My connection for remote

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Jeff Potter
    Jeff Potter Member
    edited March 2018
    Where do you find the remote on in the menu?
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Under settings, radio setup. It’s on the radio tab, “Remote On”, and can be enabled or disabled. This activates the RCA port on the back of the radio to control powering on and off, then you just need some kind of remote relay to either open or close the circuit there. Hope that helps, Justin KL2D
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019

Nice job!!

This is another option as well for $9 US.  Weird that it is $42 in Canada.

https://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Protection-Bounce-Terminals/dp/B017743I7S/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&...

You can plug this into your Wemo.  I was using iHome for a remote switch, but they keep going offline and they keep telling me to just unplug it and replug it to fix it.  Pretty heard to do on a remote base.

Mike
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This is what I am using, with the Lowe's Iris home automation system to provide the 120V switching, which activates the DLI. I like Lowe's Iris because it is easy to use and set up, and it will fail over to Cellular data so if there is a problem I can still power down the shack, cycle the LAN power, etc. 
  • K7LER
    K7LER Member
    edited April 2019
    New 6600 owner.   After going through this thread, I decided on the following, since I'm already on the Wemo platform with other plugs:

1. The Digital Loggers.com relay - Enclosed AC/DC Power Relay with Protection & De-Bounce. **** Terminals. 120V Trigger Input.
    2. Wemo Mini Smart Plug
    3. 6-ft RCA Male Shielded Audio Cable to Bare Wire - Heavy Duty.

I connected the black wire of the cable to the common.  Then the white cable to the always on.   

After flipping the remote power option in the Flex software, when I turn the wemo on, the relay does its thing and the radio comes on.  Turn the wemo off and the radio shuts down.

Works nicely and was about $50 and only required a philips screwdriver.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited June 2018
    Hi 

That is a pretty good solution!  I had problems with both the Wemo and the iHome series where they would not show up offline when I was away from home at times.  That would be the exact time I need it of course.

The iHomes were the worst for me for dropping offline and the Wemo could not stay connected to my Wifi network.  I ended up tossing a bunch into electronic trash.  

I hope you find it more stable.  

For your RCA cable, no need for the heavy duty one as it draws almost no current.  Any stereo cable will work as well.

Mike va3mw

• Bob Drake
    Bob Drake Member
    edited June 2018
    Mike, I want to set up my Flex 6500 for remote on and off. I saw your comment about using the digital loggers Bounce terminals. I already have the Digital Loggers Pro Wi-Fi Switch. It’s a Wi-Fi surge protector that can ping a device, but I don’t know how you would use that function for. I am not an engineer. Can I just buy the bounce terminal and use it with my Pro Switch. If so, how do you wire it to the flex. Any help would be appreciated. Bob AF7EL
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hey Flexers,

I wanted to let you all know that we are working toward offering a packaged solution similar to what K7LER commented on a few months ago. In the mean time I wanted to provide some more detailed information on the solution as it is so simple that we are going to be promoting it as the recommended solution.

The solution Consists of:
    1. Smart Outlet - For this we have chosen the TPLink Kasa Smart Outlet
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Occupies-HS105-Wall-Light-Electronic-Component-switches/dp/B01K1JVZOE...
    2. AC powered relay - Digital Logger Relay
    https://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Protection-Bounce-Terminals/dp/B017743I7S/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&...
    3. RCA cable

Instructions:

Use the Kasa iPhone or Android App to set up the outlet.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kasa-smart/id1034035493?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tplink.kasa_android&hl=en_US

Wire the RCA cable to the Digital Logger using the Common and Open terminals.

Plug the RCA into the "Remote-On" input on the back of the radio

Enable "Remote On" in SmartSDR

Boom! You're done!

Enjoy,

Matt Youngblood
    KD5FGE

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Nice, clean, answer. Just ordered a set.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I have used the Digital Loggers relay for three years with a Ankuoo NEO WiFi switch. Works like a charm. I will be replacing the NEO with a four-bay WiFi switch so I can also reset my power supply and computer and control an antenna switch as well.

Glad that Flex is putting a recommended package together. It will simplify things for a lot of people.

Ken- NM9P
  • Lance Rasmussen
    edited January 2019
    I had, since my original post, upgraded my Wemo outlet to a Kasa 6 outlet control ****. Each plug on the **** can be powered up remotely. O use the RCA and relay still, which allows the remote of the Flex. I have a Cirro loop, that I have the tuner going to the second plug. I have a couple other Shack items going to the ****. So now, when I'm traveling, I can flip on the items remotely, then do a Smartconnect session doing FT8 and then power down the shack. Works great.
  • Mark Sullivan
    Mark Sullivan Member
    edited June 2019
    The IP2CC unit seems like a great way to trigger the Remote On, but I'm not able to find much guidance on how to control it. Any thoughts?
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Isn't a reed relay operated with a magnet?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.