Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will there be a Smart SDR update for v 2.10.1 that encorporates v3.6.8 bug fixes!

Options
Geoff_W8GNM
Geoff_W8GNM Member ✭✭
edited January 22 in SmartSDR for Windows

I noted that the latest SSDR v3.6.8 has addressed some important bug fixes.

I currently am running SSDR v 2.10.1, since I do not have a need for multi-flex. In the past, upgrades to SSDR v3.x.x were followed by upgrades to SSDR v2.x.x with the same bug fixes.

Will this support for v2.x.x continue or will I have to upgrade to v3.x.x to get current and future bug fixes?

Geoff - W8GNM

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, there will, however, at some time in the future, we will stop supplying fixes for v2.

Answers

• Geoff_W8GNM
    Geoff_W8GNM Member ✭✭
    Options

OK Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any idea when the next release of v2.10.x will be available with the current round of bug fixes?

I don't mind paying to upgrade to v 3.x.x of SSDR, but opted to stay with v2.x.x to avoid the complexity and additional bugs associated with MultiFlex since I do not have a need for this functionality.

Geoff - W8GNM

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

No idea yet

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

at some time in the future, we will stop supplying fixes for v2.

I don't like the sound of that very much. It looks like Version 2 users will be pushed into paying to upgrade to Version3. I do not use remote and never will so don't really need Version 3. However, I am totally fed up with having CW dropout since I bought the Flex, nearly 6 years ago. It really is unfit for purpose.

This is driving me mad so it looks as though I shall have to upgrade to Version 3 regardless. I won a $100 voucher 2 years ago so have some credit. Please tell me how much more this is going to cost and I will pay via Paypal for an upgrade. It's embarrassing using this Version 2 as it is.

Lori said she would sort out this raffle win of $100

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Roger, Mike indicated that a V2 will come out with these changes, so you will be covered. He was just giving the full story that V2 will stop being supported at some point (much like V1). That will not stop it from working (just like V1), it will just mean no more updates.

My suspicion is that V2 will stop being supported when V4 comes out. I don't know this for a fact, it is just my guess.

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Len.

I note what you say. However, calling TX5S this morning my call was being transmitted with dropout more than a complete call. It really is a wonder I have worked them at all. I guess it would make sense to accept a few more months of waiting and then pay for the Version 4 upgrade, if I live long enough! I am 85 now so time is short. We should have had this fixed years ago.

I hope your guess is the correct one! 😕

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Roger, if you are having issues with CW still, please open a support ticket. They will want to know how you were sending CW.

• Hand sending
    • Computer sending
    • CWX
    • Maestro
    • Direct radio connection
    • Speed
    • CW Delay settings
    • TXD settings.

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike.

Been there, done that, got numerous T-shirts and so on. I need to get rid of these dropouts and the only way is to upgrade. So, could you tell me IF I do upgrade to v3 and pay, will I then have to pay again when v4 comes out? If I won't, then please tell me how to upgrade today!! See my post above about the voucher etc.

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    Options

Flex will surely, if you ask them, be more than happy to waive the cost of the V2 to V3 upgrade. Given the awful experience suffered over a long period of time and their wish to demonstrate a commitment to disaffected customers generally, they would not want anything less for you. Plus you have the voucher. Send them an email.

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Erik.

Good point. Just written to them to see if they will! Thanks.

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Erik.

Good point. Just written to them to see if they will! Thanks.

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Still waiting................😪

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

To not even receive an answer one way or the other is quite a poor show in my opinion. I am sorry to hear it.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Roger, sad to read about your struggles....

I'm starting to sound like a broken vinyl record... But here we go again:

I decided to stay with 2.4.10 after trying the versions up to 2.9.1 for a short period. Missing all new fancy features that are proudly presented with each new release are like salt in an open wound. But at least I do not have the dreaded drop-outs, just some odd timing errors making the CW a bit funky from time to time.

This is the service desk response to my ticket from 4 years ago:

"This issue has been logged as defect number: G7759 At this time the only workaround is to stop sending and allow the radio to transition to RX and then start resending."

And then 3 years ago: "We are aware that the defect is still in SmartSDR for Windows. That defect has not been listed in Changelog so it has not been addressed yet."

So my take is that if this power drop-out is NOT mentioned as fixed in the change log, it is still there. Flex did, in writing, tell me that this is a known defect in SSDR.

Everytime I start lust for a shiny new 6600, I just hit my head and re-read my tickets :D

Lasse SM5GLC

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    Options

Going by this https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8029609/3-6-8-and-cw#latest

It looks like V3 fixed the drop out issue

So if they put the same fixes in V2, you won't need to upgrade anyway.

• Netas Ameba
    Netas Ameba Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi

What is the price for SmartSDR v3.6.8 ?

May be somebody of us can help to Mr. Roger and make donation?

I'M CAN AND WILL.

Netas Ameba

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited February 19
    Options

It is $200 but Roger has a $100 dollar voucher. From the balance of $100 required, I would happily donate $25. It is shameful on Flex that it come to this. That they could mistreat an 85 year old, or anyone for that matter, is beyond comprehension. This is a promised pledge, should it be that Netas can make suitable arrangements.

It should be noted that Rich M5RIC is right and in fact the latest Insider states "In addition, in conjunction with that release (3.7.x), we will have a v2.x release that supports many of the fixes found in v3.6.8, as well as support for the new Maestro for those customers who have radio still running SSDR v2 software".

There is also a $50 savings offer on V3 so in theory Roger has only to find 200 - 100 - 50 = $50 to make the upgrade. Less my $25 if needed and surely, even without Flex cooperation, Roger can be free at last of the problems he has had to endure for so long.

• Rich M5RIC
    Rich M5RIC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Flex Insider has just dropped.

Looks like the V2 update is very close or the V3 would be $50 cheaper in this sale.

• Netas Ameba
    Netas Ameba Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi, Mr. Erik

I'm can donate 50 Eur. How we can do what?

Netas Ameba

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Hi Netas, I have emailed Roger to ascertain what he wants to do. When we find out, we can proceed as he indicates.

Erik.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    Options

**Redacted**

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Yes VAT Lasse, might well be 'redacted' but the point could be valid. Unreal.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, I just d/l the new SSDR 2.12.

Let see if I'm brave enough to try it out tonight :)

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm happy to help out too. Just let me know when and how.

Russ KR6W

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Guys.

I have only just seen the emails and then came on here to see your responses here too!! I DID get a reply fromf Mike in January telling me to be patient because the V2 upgrade was imminent. It has just taken longer that I thought it might. Looks like Lasse is going to take the plunge tonight too. I will download it and install it this evening Lasse!

It is not that I cannot afford to upgrade. I must admit I was blown away by the generosity from you guys, but I can assure you I don't really need it. It was just that I did not need V 3. I will upgrade to V 4 when that comes out. I don't have a Maestro and will never need one so that is the reason I stay with V 2.s I am holping for Pure SSB and Noise Mitigation in V 4..........

However, MANY thanks for the new V 2 which hopefully cures the dropout. I shall be testing extensively later.

So, thanks again guys, always impressed by my fellow amateurs!

73 de Roger, G3LDI

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, I now have V 2.12.0 running. I have given it a soak run on dummy load and must say it did not drop out once. With the new version you do have a few adjustments to make, but once set, it looks good to go. I hope you are finding the same Lasse.

I can now look forward to some rag-chews without the embarrassment of dropouts.

73 and again, many thanks to Erik, Russ and Netas for your kind offers!

Roger G3LDI

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Decided to take the upgrade plunge :)

No problems updating, and everything appears to be working. In fact it "feels" nice, the timing of the built-in winkeyer is better, and no jitter. And no drop outs either.... just had two QSO's to se if things were working.

So, now a happy camper (for now) and really hope things will stay this good! If so, thumbs up to Flex...

Thanks and 73

Lasse SM5GLC

• Roger G3LDI
    Roger G3LDI Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Lasse.

Yes, I agree, I tested it on dummy load for a while with NO drop-outs so fingers crossed that this has now been fixed, thank you Flex!! ( I can't blame dropouts now for my poor cw!!😉)

Looking forward now to V 4.............

73 and thanks to all on here too. Roger, G3LDI

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Spending far too much time playing with the radio today.

CW nice and jitter free. No dropouts noted.

/Lasse SM5GLC

• Geoff_W8GNM
    Geoff_W8GNM Member ✭✭
    Options

After installing v2.12.0 without any problems on my 6600M, the problems with RF pre-amp resetting to zero gain were resolved.

The occasional audio dropouts seem to have been resolved as well.

I went ahead and took advantage of the discount currently offered to upgrade to v3.7.3

v3.7.3 installed without any problems. It seems to work the same as v2.12.0 with all the same bug fixes.

I am just starting to explore the additional capabilities that Multi-Flex offers.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.