Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartLink crashing at connection?

Options
2»

Answers

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Why not allow an option in SSDR where the user can type in a Private IP address where the radio can be located?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited October 2023
    Options

We greatly appreciate your valuable input and feedback. Your suggestions are incredibly important to us, and we want you to know that we're listening. Don't forget to upvote this request in the "New Ideas" area of this community.

Rest assured that your input will be taken into consideration as we shape the future of our offerings. Together, we're working towards a better, more innovative experience.

Thank you for being a part of our journey to make FlexRadio even better. Stay tuned for exciting updates on the horizon!

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike - That last question was for Eric. You sure stepped in and cut him off quick. You remind me of a used car salesman the more you talk. Where did they find you?

Mike any given day:

Rest assured that your input will be taken into consideration as we shape the future of our offerings. Together, we're working towards a better, more innovative experience.

Mike on same subject the next week:

The door is closed on the discussion regarding this. All I can say is that if you urgently require a plan B that isn't SmartLink, it will have to be something you do with the tools you have available today. There are other things higher up the priority list. I'm sharing that just so the timeline is understood, that is all.

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    Options

I feel like I covered the why in the post quoted above.

tl;dr We don't want to make it easy for users to put the unauthenticated interface of the radio on the open internet.

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Right, that's why I said "Why not allow an option in SSDR where the user can type in a ***Private IP*** address where the radio can be located?" See below chart for addresses that would be accepted.

***Private IP Address Ranges***

Class A: 10.0. 0.0 to 10.255. 255.255.

Class B: 172.16. 0.0 to 172.31. 255.255.

Class C: 192.168. 0.0 to 192.168. 255.255.

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Eric - I received your 1:26pm response. When I began to reply (and thank you) your response was no longer there.

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Eric, I appreciate you hearing me out. I am not a software engineer by any means, but I am imagining some sort of 'appropriate messaging' to be an error callout next to the 'Private IP field' that would alert the user to (and block the acceptance of) a non Private IP Address. It might even have a small 'i' or '?' next to the field that says defines Private IP ranges as 'xyz'.

I don't know how to follow 'SMART-9790' and I know you can't make any promises, in fact I imagine this idea will be DOA. I do however appreciate you taking the time to listen and document exactly what I was getting at. Clearly most respondents on this post, despite their best efforts along with mine, did not understand what I was requesting.

I will mark this question as answered.

73 Clif KI5RLR

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Ah! When I marked your first response 'Yes' to 'Did this answer the question?' it moved your post to the top of the thread. So I clicked 'yes' and started to craft my response, glancing up at your message for reference... and it was gone. 😂

73 Clif KI5RLR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.