Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL issues after 3.7.28 Utility/Firmware update.

Options

Until two days ago, my Flex 6600-PGXL-TGXL were working perfectly. I got a notice from Flex suggesting to update the PGXL to 3.7.28. Immediately after the update, I found that the PGXL was having difficulty connecting to the PGXL Utility. This morning, when I powered on the PGXL for the first time, I was met with a black screen with a single blue dot (blue dot of death) it too two more power cycles to get the PGXL to self test and appear to be okay. Upon my initial transmissions of the day, after tuning with the TGXL, the PGXL is reporting high SWR. The antenna is resonate and true SWR is fine. The 3.7.28 update has made my otherwise stable PGXL into an erratic/unuseable 60lb box. Can someone tell me how to revert back to the previous software for the PGXL Utility and previous firmware. I want to spend no time trying to "fix" these recent issues. I have opened a ticket with Flex support.

Thanks,

Paul N6PSE

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Paul

The blue dot is to calibrate the touch screen. It is not documented in the release notes.

Do this:

Turn off rear switch.

Hold Operate/Standby button in while turning on the rear switch. The amp will do factory reset. When it comes up to the blue dot, tap it as accurate as you can. It will repeat in different locations two more times. Then the amp will cycle and start up. Once that is done make sure you use the 3.7.28 utility to configure the amp (in Flex tab choosing your radio and the LAN or RCA keying, etc. make sure the check box is selected for whichever sides od the amp you are using (A or B).

If you had set a static IP in the amp, you will need to reset it after doing the factory reset.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Oh, and

make sure not to use the 3.6.24 utility. You should I install the PG. L utility before installing the new one.

Dave wo2x

• Paul Ewing
    Paul Ewing Member ✭✭
    Options

Ken at Flex support sent me a link and asked me to perform the steps outlined on page 46:

He said that if problems persist, to conduct a factory reset and re-perform the steps on page 46, selecting save upon completion.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

GM all

If you do a reset and see the flashing blue dot, it is related to part of the screen calibration.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

This update fixed a number of issues with my PGXL and Tuner Genius.

I would get interlock issues occasionally I believe because of timing between my 6600, PGXL and Tuner Genius. It affected CW as well as false HIGH SWR faults.

My amplifier gain was between 12.5 db and 13.4 db. Now it is between 14 and 14.5 db. Maybe because of higher drive, it runs a lot cooler now using FT8 with high duty cycle.

I have run the station the last two days heavily mostly FT8 and some CW. It has worked great. My PGXL and Tuner Genius are in another room so I didn’t look at the touch screen.

I did the update from my operating position and it went smoothly like any other update. The software updated both the utility and the firmware. I then updated my second computer affecting only that utility.

Not one problem.

CUDOs to the design team. Great job.

Bill

W9JJB

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This update fixed a number of issues with my PGXL and Tuner Genius.

I would get interlock issues occasionally I believe because of timing between my 6600, PGXL and Tuner Genius. It affected CW as well as false HIGH SWR faults.

My amplifier gain was between 12.5 db and 13.4 db. Now it is between 14 and 14.5 db. Maybe because of higher drive, it runs a lot cooler now using FT8 with high duty cycle.

I have run the station the last two days heavily mostly FT8 and some CW. It has worked great. My PGXL and Tuner Genius are in another room so I didn’t look at the touch screen.

I did the update from my operating position and it went smoothly like any other update. The software updated both the utility and the firmware. I then updated my second computer affecting only that utility.

Not one problem.

CUDOs to the design team. Great job.

Bill

W9JJB

• Ken AG2K
    Ken AG2K Member ✭✭
    Options

I did the upgrade and all went fine. I have noticed however that temperature does not display in SmartSDR anymore. Am I missing something?

KM

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

It does here with SSDR 3.3.33

You might try shutting down both radio and amp. Turn on the radio, then turn on the amp.

Dave wo2x

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Dave, are you saying that updated utility will not longer show a Temp?

Could someone post image of PGXL utility after upgrade - in Standby and Operate, please?

I still hesitation to update and looking for post upgrade reports - running OK (with already known issues) SSDR 3.3.32 and PGXL 3.6.24.

Thanks

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Larry for images. Almost the same as the ver 3.6.24.

One question - where is the text coming from - "6700" on images above? Does it pull automatically or you have a window in a new Version to type? In ver 3.6.24 I have filed that empty and there is no way to type there

No idea, why you should be reminded that you use 6700.

No idea why Flex keep putting all this noise on all their devices, IP address, S/N and FW version - all should be included in "About" like any other Software. It will keep screen cleaner and that information is not essential for every day usage.

Thanks,

Sergey

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    Options

6700 is what I chose as my radio nickname, this is found in radio setup/radio tab.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

It shows radio name of the Flex as some PG XL owners have two different radios connected to the amp.

Dave wo2x

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, my SSDR has my call there as a nickname, but it does not appear on PGXL ver3.6.24

Sergey

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just changed mine just to test it, I had to restart the PGXL and TGXL for the new nickname to take effect.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My PG-XL update to FW: 7.3.28 initially went smoothly, although I never saw the screen calibration, but the touch screen function worked perfectly anyway. I tested all transmit functions on the Amp and everything was working fine.

I should have left things alone but I decided to take Wo2X's suggestion above and perform the PG-XL reset process so I could calibrate the screen. I wish I wouldn't have done this! After doing the PG-XL Reset the Calibration indicators did show up on the screen BUT then I noticed when I turn my PG-XL on its display remains on the Calibration screen (all lines indicating OK), and in order to see the main screen I now have to push the Standby/Operate switch (which I never had to do before). Plus when I turn the Amp on the Fan ramps up for a few seconds, which it never did before I did the Reset. Also when my PG-XL is in operate it no longer shows up on my SmartSDR screen, so I can't use my Amp. And when I click the Operate/Stand button on the PG-XL App no longer toggles my PG-XL to the Standby screen but rather its Configuration/Calibration Screen. Perhaps FW: 7.3.29 will be coming soon. :)

I guess another Trouble Report submission is in order, and until then I'll have to see about reverting back to the previous FW version. Just freakin' lovely.

Lesson learned. If you do the FW update and it works, leave it alone.

Butch, KF4HR

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I got my PG-XL FW upgrade problem resolved. I reverted back to the previous PG-XL FW, and everything began working again, then I cycled power on everything (PC, rig, amp), then reloaded v3.7.29 and everything began working normally with the new PG-XL FW.

During my above PG-XL Reset process, something I didn't realize was, the Reset process wiped out the FlexRadio Serial No. in the PG-XL App (under the App Settings). Once the Serial Number was reentered SmartSDR acknowledged the PG-XL being on or off.

Butch, KF4HR

• W7VJ
    W7VJ Member
    Options
    In my upgrade to 3.7.28, I am unable to get band data. Reset the the PGXL per reset procedures in this thread. Now went from "Manual" mode to "RF Sense" Mode, but no connection to the FLEX 6600. Any thoughts on what how to resolve? Thank you. 73 Andrew W7VJ
  • W7VJ
    W7VJ Member
    Options
    Reverted to 3.6.24 and all working... unclear why the upgrade doesn't ....
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

Did you put in your Radio configuration in the AMP touch screen or the Windows Application.

I would defiantly go back to 3.7.28 as there was a LOT of things fixed that are pretty important to the performance of the AMP.

Go to the gear Icon on the top right then go to the FlexRadio Tab, then to the down arrow on the right side of the Serial number Line then select up the serial number of your radio and click the "Enable" box.

Make sure your IP address is shown of YOUR network.

hope this helps a bit

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Why does my PGXL switch from AB to AAB mode after the upgrade to 3.7.28. My 6600 running 3.3.33 operates frequently in DIGU mode with FT8.

From the PGXL User Manual:

I observe the PGXL temperature runs higher (62 C) and the fans ramp up to high speed loud. Before the upgrade it stayed in Class AB and temperature rarely was higher than 56 C.

Bill, NE1B

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Update- The PGXL only goes into Class AAB mode on 6 meters and 160 meters. 80m thru 10m go to Class AB.

This seems to be independent of Digital mode that I select in WSJT...MSK vs. FTx, but does respond to modes selected in SmartSDR on 80-10m., just not on 6 m. or 160m.

de NE1B

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is by design to get the Maximum efficiency from the MosFets at the far ends of the AMP's range.

• AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    Options

Is it normal for the PGXL to idle at 5A? ID = 5A when in AAB? With the amp on, but no input signal the temp increases to 50C - this is in fan mode C. Also, the fan runs at B level when the amp is first turned on. I haven't noticed either behavior prior to 3.7.28 - I have just updated the firmware.

Thanks,

Keith - AC9S

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.