Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any timeline on new firmware for PGXL

Wondering if there is an update on a timeline for the release of the new firmware that will fix some of the CI-V problems (inefficiencies). Now when I rotate the dials on the radio the relays click every time to validate the band. While it's good to validate it would be better to do that actual (re)set of the band (with relays switching) only on actual band changes.

Also, some ideas that I would love to see implemented:
- For those owners that do NOT have a Flex radio but that DO have both Tuner Genius and a PGXL... it would be awesome if the PGXL can follow band changes based on what the tuner is set to. (PGXL app connects to Tuner Genius app or receives that info via the network. Or the other way around!) That would reduce the complexity of Icom's implementation of CI-V connections to two devices simultaneously.
- For anyone, "auto standby" function for the PGXL. Since it's an 'always on' piece of equipment it would be nice to set a time after which the amp automatically goes to standby when not used. (For when I leave the shack for a break!)

For the rest.. very happy with the setup! Keep up the good work.

Rob N1KEZ

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

It should be soon as we are almost finished the QA testing on it. I doubt we will release it over the holidays though.

• Hammer73
    Hammer73 Member
    All I want for Christmas.... :-)
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Auto standby is not something in the next version.

If you using NodeRed though, you could make this happen with a simple flow.

• Larry Burke
    Larry Burke Member ✭✭

Will the new firmware allow Icom users to adjust the CI-V address rather than have a limited selection of Icom rigs from which to choose?

• Larry Burke
    Larry Burke Member ✭✭

Installed 3.7.28 this afternoon. So far so good. A huge improvement for us Icom owners. I'm able to use CI-V with the IC-7851 now!

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

What other advantages with that FW, other than for ICOM? I cannot find it on the Flex downloads page or the 4O3A downloads page. I am running 3.6.24 on my PGXL.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Here is the link to the release notes but I cut and pasted them below.

Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.7.28

January 3, 2023

Power Genius XL v3.7.28 is a feature release for use with all Power Genius XL (PGXL™) amplifiers.

Power Genius Firmware Updates (version 3.7.28)

TouchScreen Configuration

PGXL 3.7.28 introduces a front panel touchscreen configuration tool to support all makes and models of exciter transceivers. In addition to the PGXL Utility program, which runs on Windows™, the PGXL can now be configured using simple front panel touchscreen commands. No external computer is necessary to make the amplifier ready for use.

Remote Operation of the PGXL Utility Program

Starting with PGXL 3.7.28, the PGXL Utility program can be configured to control the amplifier from a remote location. It is no longer necessary for the PGXL Utility program to be in the Local Area Network with the amplifier.

Simplified CAT Interface

The CAT interface configuration tools have been simplified so that six choices of CAT language implementation cover all makes and models of exciter transceivers.

Complete Implementation of the CAT Interface

The CAT interface has been implemented for all makes and models of exciter transceivers, including full implementation for Icom™ transceivers. Both band and mode data are transferred from the exciter to the amplifier.

Band Data Source Selection, Manual and Automatic

Band data sources can be selected manually or automatically. In manual mode, the default, the operator selects the source for band data (FLEX, CAT, CI-V, BCD, PIN, RF SENSE, or MANUAL). In automatic mode, the amplifier chooses the input based on which is active.

The amplifier’s source of band data information is now directly controlled by the operator. When no band data source has been configured, the amplifier will operate as before, it will select any source that offers information. When a band data source has been configured, the amplifier will use that source exclusively until the source is changed by the operator. This can be done via the Windows Utility program or the front panel touchscreen. Select the band data source by right-clicking on the Band Information box in the front panel presented by the Utility program, or by touching the band information box on the front panel.

Significant Bug Fixes

- Amp misreads supply voltage and runs in 120 VAC mode

- Smoother selection of PSU On/Off and Voltage changes

-More accurate reporting of peak and average output power

- APC less likely to trip on short power spikes

• Hammer73
    Hammer73 Member
    @"Mike VE3CKO" and all.

Installed the update yesterday and works much much better! No more extensive clicking of relays when tuning around the bands on my Icom radio. Great update! Awesome product. But.....

The app has a few wrinkles to work out (that I ran into).

Wrinkles:
    - Occasionally the PGXL seems to lose sync on the serial input. (CIV for me)

The frequency display shows a frequency that is way out of range. Almost like 'bits/bytes' have shifted while readying the serial data stream. And it does that every few (random) seconds. Prior version of software/firmware (with same cable/same settings) did NOT have this issue. Baud rate changes doesn't solve the problem. Switching PGXL off/on does. This has happened twice in the 24hrs the setup has been on. I noticed it because the PGXL started clicking relays while it was in standby and I was away from the radio that was on.

- Clicking (vs right clicking) on the band source selection freezes the app temporarily. For me at least... "

- No frequency display in the app window while it does show on the PGXL display.

Feature requests:

- As an option have the watt out indicate NET (FWD-Reflected) power (or show two bars?). That way one can get a more accurate sense of what/watt really is going out (legal limit doesn't consider reflected, right?) And it would match the TGXL power meter better.

- Have PGXL and TGXL talk to each other and one determine the band setting for both. One would have to be 'main' and the other the 'follower' and consider the A vs B exciter. This would simplify the band decoding connection situation for those that have both the tuner and the amp. If this can't be solved in hardware, the accompanying apps could do the talking.

- The aforementioned 'auto standby' when no TX after a specified time without the use of extra tools. Mainly the PGXL but TGXL would be great too. While this can be achieved with external tools, having this 'out of the box' would simplify the station operations.

Keep up the excellent work!

73 N1KEZ
    Rob
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Rob,

I would recommend you open a Help Desk ticket for the frequency jumping issue.

One question, for CI-V, are you using a mono or stereo 3.5 mm cable? The amp should be able to accommodate either but the radio may be picky. I do not own Icom equipment but if I remember, it is based on a mono cable.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.