Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

VARA HF 4.0.6 With Winlink 1.5.33 SETTINGS

Trying to configure Winlink and VARA HF with my Flex 6500. I have correct audio settings -- there is RX audio flowing to the VARA waterfall, and in a test transmit, I see audio from Winlink in the Flex DAX TX Stream. But the radio is not keying on in transmit. What setting am I missing?

David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles

Comments

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

I'll post my CAT settings and Vara Radio settings. Works fine for PTT and rig control with those settings for me. Flex6600M on Parallels VM on MacMini running Catalina. I am using Slice B for winlink Express here - Slice A is running native on the Mac with other digital programs (simultaneously).

CAT config:

Vara Radio config:

Both RTS / DTS are not necessary, but I just threw in both. Make sure if you are just using a serial port for CAT (like I am with COM6) that the DTR/RTS is unchecked. I don't know enough about Win10 serial to know if you could use the same COM port for CAT and PTT with hardware toggle.

• Ted, YOU are a life saver. Thank you. I am up and running with Winlink and VARA HF using your config shown here. Flex CAT was a little picky about creating a PTT virtual port, but a quick re-start fixed that and it worked like a charm. VARA is overtaking the world by storm. The new VARA FM 4.0 just released is faster than ever and adds digi-peating to the mix. Hats off to Jose Alberto Nieto Ros and all of the VARA and Winlink development people.

David Ahrendts, KK6DA, Los Angeles

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Broomfield, COMember ✭✭✭

So I went to the VARA web site, but still don't understand what VARA is... Can someone give a quick synopsis?

Thanks & 73,

Len, KD0RC

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

in a nutshell, a software replacement for a Pactor modem, which just uses a sound card :-) And a good replacement too, by all accounts.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Broomfield, COMember ✭✭✭

Thanks Ted. Now I get the connection with Winlink. I haven't heard any AMTOR or PACTOR on the bands for a long time. Is there still a set of frequencies with PACTOR activity? I used to be very active, but haven't fired up my PK-900 in a very long time. I guess I will have to give VARA a try with my Flex 6400...

Len

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.