Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Announce: experimental CAT/DAX clients for Linux

13»

Comments

• Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭

Hi Ted, Yes I am running v3.

I have managed to get it to run using a linux laptop

./nDAX -station WSPR -slice A -daxch 1 -source flex.sliceA.rx -sink flex.sliceA.tx -log-level trace

10:24PM INF Waiting for station station=WSPR

10:24PM DBG Set thread to realtime thread="udp thread"

10:24PM INF Found Client id=0xAA20CC0B uuid=E41C327C-368E-457F-8A9A-C2142743674C

10:24PM INF Looking for slice slice_id=A

10:24PM INF Found slice slice_idx=1

10:24PM INF Enabled RX DAX stream stream_id=4000009

10:24PM INF Enabled TX DAX stream stream_id=84000000

10:24PM DBG Set thread to realtime thread="tx thread"

10:24PM DBG Set thread to realtime thread="rx thread"

But not with a Pi or an i7 running Ubuntu 18.04. The fact that I have to run SSDR on another computer makes this less useful. Perhaps when nCAT runs SSDR isn't necessary. What I am really after is to only use wsjt-x command line with no GUI.

• arodland
    arodland Member ✭✭
    edited February 1

Steve:

Yes, you need to have a session coming from somewhere. That can be a Windows or Mac copy of SmartSDR, or a Maestro or -M radio front panel, or nCAT in "headless" mode. That last one is kind of experimental (nCAT doesn't support everything that SmartSDR does, and in particular it doesn't know how to create a slice that doesn't already exist) but people have had success with it by using another tool to save a global profile (e.g. several slices of FT8) and using nCAT's -profile option to load that profile on startup.

That isn't actually the cause of the errors you're getting, however. Could you please let me know what "pulseaudio --version" reports on the machines where it doesn't work?

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭

I’ve been running nCAT and nDAX on KUBUNTU 20.04 for since September with no issues, and I’ve made more than 700 confirmed contacts with FT8.

I’ve successfully got cat control working on fldigi with the set up with Hamlib NET rigctl using similar config to WJSTX.

I’ve not figured out the soured card config tho- I’ve tried PortAudio but don’t see flexdax.rx or flexdax.tx in the capture/playback option drop down like I have in WSJTX. I’ve searched google for PulseAudio - if that is the correct option not sure what to put in the parameter box.

Thanks for any help!

73, Chris - WX7V

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    edited February 19

Removing duplicate post- I hit submit twice.

• arodland
    arodland Member ✭✭

@Chris WX7V for fldigi, select PulseAudio, leave the "server string" box blank, and hit okay. Then use a mixer app (pavucontrol is one, but you might already have a suitable one hiding behind the volume control button on your taskbar) to set fldigi's playback stream to flexdax.tx and its capture stream to flexdax.rx. PulseAudio should remember the setting so that in the future fldigi will get those devices by default (as long as you start it while nDAX is running).

This is fldigi's issue for not having a UI to select PulseAudio devices, but fortunately it's an easy enough one to work around.

Very glad to hear about your success with wsjtx.

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭

Thank you - that was easy enough. nCAT and nDAX are solid- the learning curve now is with fldigi and these digital modes.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.