Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

When will my new PowerGenius-XL Ship? Track Yours Here!!

124»

Comments

• Wayne Westfield
    Wayne Westfield Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    LOL, "This just in from a nondescript bunker deep under the ground......."
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I have a confession to make. I got so excited about the PowerGenius XL and its imminent arrival about October/November that I traded my 6500 for a 6700! My new 6700 should arrive sooner than the PowerGenius XL...If Flex keeps this up, I may go broke! I have no control...
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    We need a support group for sure. After two 6500's, Maestros, Power Genius on the way and SW upgrades, I have no friends, no money, and no life.

But I sure have a cool ham shack!
  • Brad A. Steffler
    edited August 2017
    Fred, you sound like me. My XYL insisted that I put in  tower, which I did this spring. Then bought the rotator, Orion 2800, and Green Heron controller. Then reserved the Power Genius. Then bought a new 6700 and ordered a SteppIR DB 18E, both this week. I did trade in the 6500 for the 6700, however. My XYL has encouraged all of this activity. (I have saved up for all of this, so it is not completely unplanned.) l owe all of my improved shack and back yard to my long-suffering and sweet wife. Oh, I also paid the electrician to run a 20 amp line to the antenna to power the telescoping winch and the tilt-over motors and I have to pay to re-sod and grade the back yard - at my wife's insistence. I love spending money...only it's mymoney.

Yes, I need professional help!!! After all I have to get some transverters, amplifiers, receive preamplifiers and antennas for 2, 1.25  and 0.7 Meter bands.

And to think this all started years ago with a Kenwood TS-520SE...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I got some windfalls from various places which allows me to splurge. This is when I made my decision to go for a station refresh. I had set aside money for a new amp, bought my SPE 1.3K-FA but then when PGXL was announced decided to sell the 1.3K and get the PGXL instead. 
  • Brad A. Steffler
    edited September 2017
    A quote from the 403A web site:
    "We are working day and night on producing Power Genius XL amplifiers.

Here are some pictures to show where we’re at at the moment.

First products will be delivered to FlexRadio in second half of September 2017.
    FlexRadio will require about two weeks to polish the software.
    After this process the amplifiers will be ready to ship.

Next production batch is planned to be complete by the end of 2017 or early 2018.

We should be able to produce more units then ordered so we expect short delivery times for retail sales as well."

I am sure that the above estimate does not include any "slippage" or "gotchas", but it is nice to read.

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Looks like the amps are getting close to shipping.

https://www.facebook.com/4O3ASignature/

Rich - N5ZC

• Daniel Flynn
    Daniel Flynn Member
    edited January 2019
    Sent Flex an email early last week 4June18, then called 6June18 "the order line"looking for an update on delivery "we'll have someone call you back" .. still waiting for a call/email/smoke signal/ a week later.  Anyone have any info, maybe out of a one-on-one conversation out of Dayton, Sea Pac, Friedrishshafen, Ham-Com?
    Dan WW3N Order number AB-11722  2/15/2017

• K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Dan, it's been 16 months now since I sent in my $1000 as a deposit. I ordered within 4 hours of the announcement. Every month for the past 6 months that I've been asking I've been told "probably at the end of the month". I've received a "probably at the end of June" promise this month for whatever it's worth. I admit the story's getting pretty old by now.

Obviously they're having serious problems they're still trying to resolve. We need to give them time if we're to stick with FlexRadio. 
  • Larry W0NQW
    Larry W0NQW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    In this conversation, https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/interfacing-pg-xl,  Bernie W7DMC stated his amp was shipped 08 June.  His order number is AB-11641 placed on 2-8-17.  Does that give you any idea what is happening?

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Fred, six months ago Flex said they are shipping at the end of the month?
    People have been getting their notice for shipping, maybe your a bit behind things?
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    No, I'm not behind things. This is the answer I got last week and the month before and the month before that. I also placed my order on the first day (11643) and have received no further updates beyond "the end of the month" ... every month. 
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hey Flexers, thank you so much for your patience with us on the Power Genius XL. I know that it has been a long wait and you are all anxious to get your unit. 

We are working very hard over here to move as quickly as we can. We are being very meticulous on our roll out of the amplifier to make absolutely sure that every unit that goes out the door is completely solid. We are doing extensive testing and burn in for that purpose. While this takes longer we are confident that this is the right thing to do.

We sincerely appreciate your patience while we ramp up.

Best,

Matt Youngblood
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Too bad it didnt appear the same level of detail and testing was applied to the 6600m and 6400m series units ... just an observation that has been provrn over time January this year.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    As with all ham radio gear I'm sure there will be a few amps with problems. Keep in mind that almost all the radio complaints have been mentioned on the community, So what we read here is almost all of them. Out of hundreds of units that's good numbers. But Gerald said a few are to many.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    For anyone still interested in this, I received tracking on mine today.  It hasn't been accepted by UPS yet, but I have a tracking number.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Order 11623
  • Larry W0NQW
    Larry W0NQW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Also ......

Order number: 11615Invoice date: 21 JuneShipped date: 21 JuneReceived date: 25 June

LarryW0NQW
  • Brad A. Steffler
    edited June 2018
    Of course, we are still verrry interested!!! Order # AB 11835, Deposit order date: 3/16/17
    Congratulations!!!
    Envy!!!

Brad Steffler
    KE4XJ
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    UPS picked it up today, so it is officially en route fyi to all involved. Hope to just get it installed before the end of the year with my schedule lately!
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Oh gosh... I guess now all the bands will be unusable due to the mega PGXL signals all over the place!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Or they can create BIG signals in **** bad conditions....

:-)

Dave wo2x

• Larry W0NQW
    Larry W0NQW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I will not be doing it for awhile.. It seems I was not given a copy of the CD containing the PowerGenius XL Utility required to do the setup of the amp.  Also did not receive the Quick Start Guide, which I got a copy off their website.  But they did send me a copy of Quick Start Guide for the new radios, which does me no good.  Guess it is time to contact the Help Desk.

Larry
    W0NQW
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    You need a CD to set up the amp???  Oh Boy
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Larry Contact me direct and I will send you a link to download the app. My call at ARRL dot net Dave wo2x
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yes, it is a utility program, what do you expect from a software defined amp..lol
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I don't think there is anything restricted about the amp software.  But it does appear that the Flex website is broken in this area. There is a "software" menu for the PGXL, but when you open it, it is empty.

In any event, yes, there is a utility program that you use to set the initial configuration of the amp, and to make changes later, if needed.  It also reproduces the amp front panel on your computer screen for convenience.  Apart from the configuration step and other rarely done things, you can ignore this program if you want to.

When the amp is driven by a Flex 6000 radio, you need to tell the amp which radio to assign to the A and B amplifier ports.  That is done by 6000 serial number using the program.  You also tell the amp if you are keying it over the Local Area Network, or via a wired PTT line.  If you are driving the amp with another manufacturer's radio, then you need to provide some information about that radio.  

This program is also used to set the fan profile to "Standard", "Contest" and "Broadcast" and to do things like customize the IP address assignment, if you want to do that.

And, when it comes time to update the amp's firmware, this is the program that pumps the image from a file into the amp.  This is probably the most important thing the program does, but also the rarest.  Changes to the amp firmware can make significant changes to the way the amp works and to its safety and reliability, so firmware updates are important.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.