Remote IPad Operation of 6000 series using Parallel Access App Updated April 24, 2015

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
It's almost a year since I last update my remoting via iPad presentation
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/remote_ipad_operation_of_6000_series_using_parallel...
and more than 2 years since I first started talking about how I did it..

I have now operated remotely my Flex's from 22 different countries and recently from 11,500' in WA3IHV's Centurion on the way back from Visalia DX Convention.  This has worked over 3G, 4G Cellular and WIFI but you need at least 2Mb/s data rates for a decent visual display.  Latency is 20ms local, 30-100ms National, 100-350ms International. 

I have operated from exotic places like Thailand, Vietnam and dive boats in Bali and Nevis as well as most Western European Countries and of course from my daughter's house in LA when we are babysitting and sitting in shoes stores in Paris waiting for the XYL to try on EVERY pair of shoes. Remoting gives you the freedom to be anywhere in the world and still enjoy ham radio without schelpping coax, radios, amps, antennas,etc

In the interim, SmartSDR 1.43 now has a really easy to configure Remote Button that makes configuring a remote operation very easy. 

The method I am posting has worked with iPhones and iPads.  I suspect that it will also work with Android devices as well... As you long as your device supports Parallels Access, then you can remote into your Flex 6000 Series.  It will also work with PowerSDR and the 3000, 5000 but they are much more difficult to set up.

Rather than posting all the screen shots on this community - which is rather time consuming I have prepared a detailed PDF that you can easily download from my Public Dropbox

Remote IPad Operation of 6000 series using Parallel Access App

https://db.tt/0ERrHbej 

In case you are wondering how anyone can afford the cell phone International Data Roaming Rates I have also written a presentation called

HOW TO SAVE A LOT OF MONEY ON INTERNATIONAL DATA ROAMING

https://db.tt/vUXgteRU

Bottom Line.. Use local Data SIMS... Much cheaper than USA Data Rates.

Enjoy the Freedom that Roaming Brings to You.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
  • excited

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 594 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Thanks for making it into a PDF article.

Still homeless and searching and no radio to operate.  Lost my mobile capabilities in Junction, TX auto accident on the way to FL. 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Hope u were ok
Photo of Gary S Ownsby

Gary S Ownsby

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Howard,

Thank you very much for your updated article and the PDF.

I would like to confirm if this is the headset you are specifying: http://goo.gl/X3w2f

Thank you.

Gary, AK4ZX
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
You posted the $100 version

I am using the $37 version so I can lose it without as much pain

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005...
(Edited)
Photo of Gary S Ownsby

Gary S Ownsby

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I understand that for sure; however, there had been some commentary that this was a Bluetooth only; however, Logitech's website says it is Bluetooth and also has a separate nano-plug that permits use with non-Bluetooth devices.  That's why I wanted to make sure it was the same as you were commenting about.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
I am using a Bluetooth only version..  the separate nano plug would be useful if you are using a device that has not built-in bluetooth such as some of the less expensive Android tablets.
Photo of Gary S Ownsby

Gary S Ownsby

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Howard,

Just to be clear...is the version you are using the same as http://goo.gl/X3w2f

a.k.a. Logitech Wireless Headset H800?

...setting aside the price...

'Want to be sure before plunking my money down.  Thanks.

Gary, AK4ZX
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Gary

I am NOT using the H800 which @$99 ($63 on Amazon)  much  more expensive

I am using
Logitech Wireless Headset for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch (981-000381)

Found on Amazon for $37

The H800 looks to be a much better quality version of mine with a USB Bluetooth dongle - I have no doubt that it will work OK for you.

I use the really cheap version because it folds into a small package and it gets abused a great deal traveling in my backpacks and dive bags so I don't mind replacing them when they get destroyed.  On long trips I take 2 because I usually lose/destroy one along the way...

In the old days I dragged an IC-706, coax, mikes, etc, etc, etc,, even had a special waterproof allegedly indestructible case - which the airlines proved that they could destroy anything...

IPad Remote is just so much easier and less stuff to replace when it is destroyed in travels. 
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 459 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

Howard,

How do you get the bottom icons to show up so on can access the audio controls. I can see no way to do this using parallel access? Thank you.

Jim, K6QE

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Which Icons do you mean.. the Parallels Access Icons are accessed from the Settings Bar  of Parallels Access
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 459 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
I was referring the little speaker icon on the bottom right-hand side of the screen. When I bring up Smart SDR it fills the whole screen and those icons are not visible even when I have them locked for viewing.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
You can bring up SmartSDR in Desktop mode under Access so you can see the little speaker on the right

HINT:  I created a separate Desktop Icon for Sound

Control Panel --> Sound --> Send to Desktop

because i find you need to be able to access it more than you think you do to double check which are your default sound items
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 459 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

The problem I was having was that I was not operating PA in the Desktop mode. If is isn't in that mode, the whole screen covers the screen area and the lower icons are not visible. I think your idea of making a sound icon is wonderful! I am going to do that right now. We all thank you for your patience in putting up with us in getting the program to work.

Jim, K6QE

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Thanks for your kinds words.. but frankly showing others how to do new things is part of the fun of Ham Radio.. so thank you helping me have fun....
Photo of Carl K5HK

Carl K5HK

• 37 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks Howard, will be trying it in very near future. You have any tempting tips or PDFs for tempting to another PC not on The radio LAN?

73, Carl K5hk in Reno
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 315 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Yes I see the microphone there, and I have it setup correctly. What I am unable to do is to select the PC mic on SmartSDR. It says "PC disabled" no matter if I am in remote or regular mode or on my iPaad..
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Post a screen shot of your sound recording devices..

Perhaps you do not have a default Microphone.. Notice I have a default logitech wired headset which is the default PC Mike when you are not coming in via Parallels Access...

Or perhaps its a Windows thing where you need to enter the computer via Parallels, select the mike and THEN Start SSDR?
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 315 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Howard whenever I click on the PC (disabled) mic it always tells me that "invalid default audio input device selected"  and tells me the DAX audio RX # that it is. After disconnecting from Parallels I can look through the DAX audio RX #'s and see that it is the one that is selected as default. Any suggestions on which device should be selected as default" I am totally lost as to where to go from here.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
1. Stop all the DAX Channels.in the DAX Control Panel and Make sure you have DAX NONE selected in the Slice
2.  Connect to your PC via Parallels Access
3.  Once you have done #2, using your PC look at the Record Section of the Sound Control   Start --> Control Panel --> Sound  --> Recording
4.   The Parallels Mike should now show up as a Microphone
5.   Set it as the Default Microphone
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 459 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

Also.....don't forget to check the levels. It took me a few minutes to see that my level was set to zero and had no response. The level tab can be accessed by clicking the properties button. Also be sure it is not disabled.

Jim

Photo of Justin Smith

Justin Smith

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for sharing these helpful techniques. I have a Mac with Parallels and Parallels Access next to the PC (W8.1) that runs Smart-SDR 1.4.3. Am I correct that I would need to run Smart-SDR using Parallels on my Mac before I could use my iPad to control the 6500 remotely using Parallels Access? Do you know of an analogous way of controlling the 6500 from a native Windows system? Thank you, Justin
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
You do not need a MAC to run Parallels Access

My 6700 is actually directly connected to a dedicated PC not a MAC.  I loaded Parallels Access PC Client onto it.  I start SmartSDR on the PC and then use my iPad to connect into the PC.

For a MAC to work, you still need to run SmartSDR under Windows.  Most people run Windows under Parallels on MAC with success..
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Ali 9K2WA is using it with SmartSDR and I am still in the testing stages

Download the Demo Program.. it definitely has SMARTSDR as a Radio Option
then use Commcat Radio A

Audio via Skype connected to PC Default Audio Remote

No Panadapter facility so its a BLIND RADIO
but controls are very easy to access via iPhone
and the Integration with Spots is superb

I wish someone would integrate spots into SSDR Panadapter..
Photo of Justin Smith

Justin Smith

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you, Elmer; I am now able to run my 6500 from my iPad. I have not gotten the remote sound to work but I will read the comments tomorrow and see if I can find a way to get sound from the iPad.
Justin
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 315 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Howard, I am making progress. Plugging in a cheap mic and speaker did the trick to allow me to access the PC mic. Still a couple of issues; I can see the audio level on the Parallels mic  move when I speak but it does not go to the radio. I set Audio TX1 in the listen mode of the microphone. This works if I enable DAX on the radio. This must not be the correct way, please comment.

Second, audio out seems very low.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Close but no cigar

The best and easiest way is to use REMOTE NOT USE DAX

Set you Parallels ACCESS mike as Default Mike  - u may need to play with the Levels .. Try MOX as PTT first and later adjust VOX

You have lots of audio settings ... Master Audio and Slice Audio and Sound Audio Levels
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 315 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Howard, thank you for all your help. I'm not there yet, but well on my way
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 459 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

You may have all ready checked this, but when you select parallels access to be the default speaker, please hit the properties tab and be sure the level is at or near maximum and that the speaker icon is not "xed" out.

Jim, K6QE

Photo of Charlie

Charlie

• 23 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Howard,
Thanks,
I installed Parallel Access on both my radio connected PC, my Iphone and my Ipad.  I am using a Dell Desktop that has no problem running the radio remote from my shack in the basement (no audio issues) with Windows 7.1. Cannot get sound to work on Ipad for anything but does work on iphone.  Figure it may be an IOS issue on the ipad.  Here is problem on the iphone - When app is running, I can control radio and transmit but no sound.  If i double click the home button and relegate app to background, I have sound. Have it working but it is like having an separate receiver, transmitter set up.  I diminish the app to receive and bring it to full service to transmit.  What have I done wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
The iPad/iPhone setups should be exactly the same and should work exactly the same.

Post some screen shots of your PC sound setups so I can take a look
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 315 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Halleluiah, I finally have it all working remote on my iPad with Parallels Access. Howard, thanks again for all your help and patience.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Congratulations.. Now you have something to do when the XYL is shoe shopping...

I continually hear from an Amazing number of guys who use iPad/iPhone remote to DX to kill time waiting for XYL's to shop...

You need to try it on your iPhone also.. exact some setup .. 
Photo of Kev Mallin

Kev Mallin

• 32 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Brilliant, got it working tx & rx on win7 with iPad Air but and this is the pain. Parallels was causing bad display errors on the win7 machine when at the keys, tried logging out parallels but still the same, just uninstalled it and problem has gone a way, shame I must have a compatibility issue, tried the forum but no good.
I had no problems with audio both ways, it's a very good program for ones with a compatible machine. Many thanks to Howard.
Kev G0TPZ
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3969 Posts
  • 1225 Reply Likes
I have met with occasional success running Parallels Access in my shack computer with Win10. Most of the time it allows me to log on but then hands with a blank screen and the "waiting swirl." Then it won't release to a normal session at home without a reboot, then I need to manually reset my screen resolutions.

parallels support moused around in my computer by remote for about an hour and gave up a couple of months ago, saying there was going to be an update that may fix it. ..... But I still can't get it working most of the time.

I can access my office computer (a Vista laptop) just fine.

Once in a while I can get it to work, but there is no rhyme or reason. Any suggestions? I have uninstalled Access and reinstalled many times. But I haven't done a more In-depth purge, nor do I know how I would do that....
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
Uninstall Windows 10. Give them a year to fix the bugs. Try it again
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 839 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Or....for 100 dollars add a second SATA drive add Windows 10 and have your cake and eat it too. Takes 15 minutes to add a second drive. I use the Samsung 250 GB SSD from Amazon. Works great and access is three times faster than the mechanical drive.
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 839 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes

If one has a portable computer it should be possible to use an external USB drive to boot Windows 10. However, with my limited computer knowledge, I have yet been able to configure a USB drive to be bootable to Windows. Is there any one out there that could shed light on how this could be accomplished?

Jim, K6QE