Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote IPad Operation of 6000 series using Parallel Access App Updated April 24, 2015

2»

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

Also.....don't forget to check the levels. It took me a few minutes to see that my level was set to zero and had no response. The level tab can be accessed by clicking the properties button. Also be sure it is not disabled.

Jim

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard, I've disabled every input device except the Parallels microphone as shown on the screen shot. When I go to select the PC mic on PowerSDR (set as remote) it now says no input input device found.

As an aside, when Parallels is not connected, there is no microphone listed in the sound-recording li9st. Not sure there should be one there.image
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Are you bringing up this window locally or from your iPad or iPhone?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    1. it will be the same if you look at the sound device whether you are local or remote via iPad AS LONG AS ACCESS IS CONNECTED

2.  Since you have NO DEFAULT MICROPHONE on your PC. my best guess is that you need to start SmartSDR AFTER you connect to the PC with Access and Set the Access Microphone to Default Device.  I suspect that you are being hit by a Windows Thing where SSDR does not see the default mike as Parallels when it starts.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Alternative #2 ... install a very cheap USB headset/mike on you PC so that the PC sees a Mike at all times so Windows does not get confused when you switch the mike to Parallels as Default.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

I went to the CommCat site and they listed PowerSDR but not SmartSDR. Are you using this program with SmartSDR?

Jim

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Ali 9K2WA is using it with SmartSDR and I am still in the testing stages

Download the Demo Program.. it definitely has SMARTSDR as a Radio Option
    then use Commcat Radio A

Audio via Skype connected to PC Default Audio Remote

No Panadapter facility so its a BLIND RADIO
    but controls are very easy to access via iPhone
    and the Integration with Spots is superb

I wish someone would integrate spots into SSDR Panadapter..
  • Justin Smith
    Justin Smith Member
    edited May 2015
    Thank you, Elmer; I am now able to run my 6500 from my iPad. I have not gotten the remote sound to work but I will read the comments tomorrow and see if I can find a way to get sound from the iPad.
    Justin
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

You may have all ready checked this, but when you select parallels access to be the default speaker, please hit the properties tab and be sure the level is at or near maximum and that the speaker icon is not "xed" out.

Jim, K6QE

• W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard, I am making progress. Plugging in a cheap mic and speaker did the trick to allow me to access the PC mic. Still a couple of issues; I can see the audio level on the Parallels mic  move when I speak but it does not go to the radio. I set Audio TX1 in the listen mode of the microphone. This works if I enable DAX on the radio. This must not be the correct way, please comment.

Second, audio out seems very low.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Close but no cigar

The best and easiest way is to use REMOTE NOT USE DAX

Set you Parallels ACCESS mike as Default Mike  - u may need to play with the Levels .. Try MOX as PTT first and later adjust VOX

You have lots of audio settings ... Master Audio and Slice Audio and Sound Audio Levels
  • Charlie
    Charlie Member
    edited January 2017
    Howard,
    Thanks,
    I installed Parallel Access on both my radio connected PC, my Iphone and my Ipad.  I am using a Dell Desktop that has no problem running the radio remote from my shack in the basement (no audio issues) with Windows 7.1. Cannot get sound to work on Ipad for anything but does work on iphone.  Figure it may be an IOS issue on the ipad.  Here is problem on the iphone - When app is running, I can control radio and transmit but no sound.  If i double click the home button and relegate app to background, I have sound. Have it working but it is like having an separate receiver, transmitter set up.  I diminish the app to receive and bring it to full service to transmit.  What have I done wrong?
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Howard, thank you for all your help. I'm not there yet, but well on my way
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Halleluiah, I finally have it all working remote on my iPad with Parallels Access. Howard, thanks again for all your help and patience.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Congratulations.. Now you have something to do when the XYL is shoe shopping...

I continually hear from an Amazing number of guys who use iPad/iPhone remote to DX to **** time waiting for XYL's to shop...

You need to try it on your iPhone also.. exact some setup .. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    The iPad/iPhone setups should be exactly the same and should work exactly the same.

Post some screen shots of your PC sound setups so I can take a look
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I was referring the little speaker icon on the bottom right-hand side of the screen. When I bring up Smart SDR it fills the whole screen and those icons are not visible even when I have them locked for viewing.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    You can bring up SmartSDR in Desktop mode under Access so you can see the little speaker on the right

HINT:  I created a separate Desktop Icon for Sound

Control Panel --> Sound --> Send to Desktop

because i find you need to be able to access it more than you think you do to double check which are your default sound items
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015

The problem I was having was that I was not operating PA in the Desktop mode. If is isn't in that mode, the whole screen covers the screen area and the lower icons are not visible. I think your idea of making a sound icon is wonderful! I am going to do that right now. We all thank you for your patience in putting up with us in getting the program to work.

Jim, K6QE

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for your kinds words.. but frankly showing others how to do new things is part of the fun of Ham Radio.. so thank you helping me have fun....
  • Kev Mallin
    Kev Mallin Member
    edited January 2017
    Brilliant, got it working tx & rx on win7 with iPad Air but and this is the pain. Parallels was causing bad display errors on the win7 machine when at the keys, tried logging out parallels but still the same, just uninstalled it and problem has gone a way, shame I must have a compatibility issue, tried the forum but no good. I had no problems with audio both ways, it's a very good program for ones with a compatible machine. Many thanks to Howard. Kev G0TPZ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have met with occasional success running Parallels Access in my shack computer with Win10. Most of the time it allows me to log on but then hands with a blank screen and the "waiting swirl." Then it won't release to a normal session at home without a reboot, then I need to manually reset my screen resolutions.

parallels support moused around in my computer by remote for about an hour and gave up a couple of months ago, saying there was going to be an update that may fix it. ..... But I still can't get it working most of the time.

I can access my office computer (a Vista laptop) just fine.

Once in a while I can get it to work, but there is no rhyme or reason. Any suggestions? I have uninstalled Access and reinstalled many times. But I haven't done a more In-depth purge, nor do I know how I would do that....
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Uninstall Windows 10. Give them a year to fix the bugs. Try it again
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Or....for 100 dollars add a second SATA drive add Windows 10 and have your cake and eat it too. Takes 15 minutes to add a second drive. I use the Samsung 250 GB SSD from Amazon. Works great and access is three times faster than the mechanical drive.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015

If one has a portable computer it should be possible to use an external USB drive to boot Windows 10. However, with my limited computer knowledge, I have yet been able to configure a USB drive to be bootable to Windows. Is there any one out there that could shed light on how this could be accomplished?

Jim, K6QE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.