Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ALS-600/ARI-500 to Flex 6XXX Happiness

WQ2H - Jim Poulette
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
Since I couldn't find anything similar in the forum, this diagram is basically documenting the work of K1FQL and W8QB in their previous posts. I have built one and tested it with my 6600M on all amateur bands 160m-10m for auto-band switching with the ARI-500. I have no doubt that Flex will eventually offer an off-the-shelf pre-built cable someday, but until then it does make a decent DIY project should you desire the automatic switching now. While Doug used 2 D-connectors to house the interconnects - I simply put them in a small plastic box and potted them (making them inseparable).

If you need to adjust ALC for some reason then I recommend consulting the Ameritron manual. Using the Tx Gain in the DAX control panel is a handy way to arrive at the right amount of drive power - very similar to the instructions in the manual. Standard disclaimer applies; use at your own risk. If anyone sees any glaring errors, or improvements - let me know. Good luck !

Thanks to K1FQL and W8QB (and inspector Barney) for getting this solved. Original post is here: https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/connecting-an-als-600-to-a-flex-6000-series-radio

73 Jim, WQ2H

Comments

• Mike Webb KC0YHM
    Mike Webb KC0YHM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    GM Jim...I just bought a 600 and ARI to go with my 6400.
    I'm guessing you've been using the amp and ARI....is it still working well for you?
    Had to ask before I built the cable... ;->
    Mike Webb
    KC0YHM
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    Hi Mike, No issues so far on 10-160m. I use it almost every morning. I may be overly conservative, but it's nice to be able to keep the Flex in the 20-30W range, and use the AT-1000ProII which is my preferred tuner.

The only serious issue is that I keep forgetting to turn the amp on. (....but that's nothing new)

Good luck!

Jim, WQ2H

P.S. - I think that's a fine looking glass of **** on your QRZ page - almost looks like our local Leviathan IPA.
  • Mike Webb KC0YHM
    Mike Webb KC0YHM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The Falcon video was awesome...are you involved?...I'm a huge fan of the teams Elon has built and all the things they are doing.
    --
    That was a very good ****...Peg and I were in Prague..a great, friendly, city.
    --
    Perhaps a checklist for the on/off issue.... ;->
  • Ron Koenig
    Ron Koenig Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Can or has this been adapted to the DB-9 plug on an ALS-1306 ? I am needing a Solid way to connect one to a Flex 6600.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ron,

There is a document in the Flex Downloads for connecting to the ALS600S (which has the same as the ALS-1306)  using CAT commands via the USB port on the rear of the radio. 

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

Hope this helps.

• WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited September 2018
  • John
    John Member
    edited October 2018
    Hi Jim,

I have a 6400 and an LDG AT-1000Proii.  My understanding is that there is no working interface cable.  Are you just tuning using the LDG's RF sensing function or did you find some other solution?

Thanks,

John - AA6JA
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    MFJ just started selling the RJ-USB6000 cable ($39.95) today for interfacing the Flex to the ARI-500.

Don - kx9q
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited November 2018
    Nice, didn't take them long - and I see it's already up to $49.95 !
    Making it, buying it, either way it's a pretty easy set-up.
    Until the PGXL is ready - the ALS-600 will more then suffice. Good luck !
    Jim, WQ2H
  • Steven Hess
    Steven Hess Member
    edited March 2020
    Got one ordered. Now to figure out how to configure things so everything plays as it is supposed too. Amp will be here tomorrow.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    That USB cable works very well with the ARI-500 and my ALS 600. Flex recommends not using ALC so that’s one less cable you need.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited March 2020
    You will need the ARI 500 and an rca to rca relay cable.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited March 2020
    BTW, a usb 90 degree down adaptor let’s the RJ USB6000 adaptor lay down flat against my 6400 instead of sticking straight out.  No longer worry about hitting something and damaging the adaptor of the Flex 6400.  Have photo if anyone is interested.
  • Daniel Drolc
    Daniel Drolc Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    With RJ USB6000 connected do you have standby on amplifier?
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited March 2020
    Yeah but with the ARI 500 switch not the amp standby switch.
  • Daniel Drolc
    Daniel Drolc Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    My switch has no affect, I wonder if you have to make any modifications on ari500 Thanks Dan VE2ZC
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited March 2020
    I’ll verify mine tonite but the amp switch IS disabled.  My ARI 500 has not been modified in any way.
  • Daniel Drolc
    Daniel Drolc Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thank you in advance for problem, mine has absolutely no affect switch up or down on ari500 Thanks
  • Daniel Drolc
    Daniel Drolc Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    This switch is doing absolutely nothing, I had ft2000 before with sem set up and the switch was putting amp on standby Thanks again Dan VE2ZC 73'
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited March 2020
    Dan:
    is this the cable you have?

AMERITRON RJ-USB6000

• Daniel Drolc
    Daniel Drolc Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Yes, same cable
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited March 2020
    I wanted to check because there is another version terminated in an rs-232 connector.  Anyway, I almost have my amp setup again (I have moved the shack around) and I will test it tonite or tomorrow at the latest and report back.  BTW, I seem to remember that turning off the amp also puts it in standby (well actually bypass).
  • Daniel Drolc
    Daniel Drolc Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thank you for problem
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited March 2020
    Dan:
    you were right: the ASI 500 standby switch does nothing.  I have been using it on ANT B and barefoot on ANT A so I never noticed that.  The only other alternative is to turn the ALS-600 off and see if it just goes to pass through.  I'm going to try that next.
    Brian
  • Daniel Drolc
    Daniel Drolc Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Brian for all the problem..
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    edited April 2020
    Hey Dan.  Do you remember if you also had a RCA cable from the Flex to the Relay connector on the back of the ALS-600?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.