Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TGXL/PGXL/AG8x2 - PTT timing and connections for Flex and 3rd party radios

Options
KI5RLR
KI5RLR Member ✭✭

Several questions.

1) When using a network connection to control PTT for my entire Flex ecosystem, is 30ms the recommended delay? Does that only need to be set in the SSDR -> Radio Settings -> TX menu?

2) When using a direct PTT connection (from an external switch/foot pedal) with my 6600, and the remaining PTT control of my TGXL/PGXL handled by a network connection, should I use the same settings as above?

3) When integrating a 3rd party radio with TGXL/PGXL, what is the correct order to connect the PTT in/out cables between radio/tuner/amp? What kind of delays should be set for this?

4) Is it 'safer' to connect/configure my 6600 to send PTT out via RCA cables, like I would with a 3rd party radio? Has anyone tried that?

Thanks!

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I’ll chime in:

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. radio -> TG XL -> PG XL. You should also have a CAT/CI-V connection from radio to PG XL. In TG XL under Genius Integration, enable Power Genius and enter IP of amp. Use correct firmware versions. pG 3.8.4, TH/AG pair either 1.1.20/3.1.5 or 1.2.11/4.1.7
    4. No. LAN PTT is reliable.
    5. 73 Dave wo2x
  • KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dave, your responses are always quick and concise!

Would you consider LAN PTT to be more, less, or the same reliability as RCA PTT?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options
  • KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Mike! What are your thoughts on using RCA PTT input/output with a Flex radio and TG/PG?

I saw a post where you (I think it was you) suggested using a physical PTT in to the TG, then TG to PG, and PG to the radio. I like that idea, but it would limit remote operations... at least I think it would.

K5IUC

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I use physical connections from TX1 on my 6400 to my KAT500 tuner and then to my KPA500 amp. Works great locally or remotely.

Whether the rig is keyed locally using the PTT socket or remotely using the ethernet connection, TX1 is triggered and behaves the same.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Correction on my post in response to PTT delay.

Mike is correct. For the complete Dream Station we recommend 40 ms. Also if using an OEM exciter make sure to set the Tax delay on it as well.

73 Dave wo2x

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Got it, 40ms delay across the boards, no matter if LAN PTT or RCA PTT on Flex or some 3rd party radio.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Yep. I had it at 30, and never got a hot-switching fault, but decided to up it to 40. I can't tell the difference operationally. I do quite a bit of CW (but not much contesting) and it is totally fine.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

40ms is about 1 dit length at 30 wpm if that helps as a reference.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.