Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My Maestro C Review

Options
Andrew O'Brien
Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

Posted to E-ham today .

The Maestro C radio controller is a wonderful device , it does what Flex Radio claims.... controls your Flex radio beautifully . In my few days of operation via my home LAN I have observed no problematic latency issues while operating CW ,FT8 and SSB "phone" . The controls on the unit respond very well and the screen is really a behold to see . 

That said, I will give it 4 stars , not 5, because of what it does not do. Flex Radio will perhaps , rightly, claim that it does all that they intend ...controls your radio very well. However, in this day and age, it does not do somethings that would make it a "killer " device that every Flex owner would want. In order to use the Maestro to perform basic activities such as FT8 , QSO logging, RTTY decoding, PSK operations, or using the Winlink system, you need a computer in addition to the Maestro. Having to tote around something like a laptop seems to defeat the purpose of having a Maestro . With a laptop you can easily remotely control your Flex 6000 series radio without a Maestro AND do all the things I described above. I am no coding developer , however I would think that it would be possible for Flex to add FT8 and RTTY operations and QSO logging just like the developer of SmartSDR for Mac and iOS has done. Perhaps I am being unrealistic .

While I think the Maestro C is a gorgeous looking device, I find that the device is too large and heavy for what I had in mind for typical use . It is not something that you can easily carry around to various locations and casually operate for a little bit of time (use an iPhone or Ipad for that ) . The Maestro seems more like a device you take with you for a planned event , like Field Day or a contest, where you plonk the device down and operate for hours or days. The Maestro would be IDEAL for someone who permanently uses it from their home while controlling a Flex radio located elsewhere , connected to better antennas than could be established at home. Perhaps this is Flex Radio's main intention for the Maestro . 

The Maestro C accepts a CW key (SK or Keyer) and gives a local sidetone. I find this very useful , works well. It also has built in electronic keying that you can program "macros" or "buffers' to send pre-programmed CW . This is done via 6 function keys on the Maestro. It works well, but sadly for contesting there is no ability to send incremental serial numbers . You would have to use the attached CW key to send that part of an exchange, not a big deal though. 

The microphone situation is an issue , in my opinion. The Maestro C requires a PTT connection and an audio connection, two separate plug-in sockets on the Maestro . All Flex 6000 series radio come with an included hand microphone. However, to use this mic with the Maestro, you have to purchase a Y connector cable and plug adapter . Flex will sell you one for $15 PLUS $21 shipping ! You can also purchase much cheaper via Amazon. It seems to me that Flex should include the Y cable and adapter for free , especially since they sell for around $5 on Amazon. I thought I heard a comment on a Flex video that there is a mic/headset that you can plug straight in to a Maestro C. However, the one listed sells for $299. If you want to use your own high quality mic, like a Heil, you will likely have to wire your own or purchase a "kit" that costs around $40 ! I think the Flex FHM stock mic will be good enough.

The Maestro can be powered via plugging in to your household AC using the supplied cable/converter or via a battery. Alas, the battery will set you back an additional $215 if bought from Flex. $200 from other suppliers in the USA or $160 from Chinese on-line suppliers . Flex claims that this battery lasts up to 10 hours, I find this accurate. While the Maestro C is plugged in to your AC outlet, the battery automatically charges . The screen will display your battery level . I think having this battery is essential. 

The Maestro C has an HDMI port for use of an external display. I have not used this yet. Frankly, the display on the Maestro is so good, I don't know why you would want an external display (unless very visually impaired ) . The touch screen on the Maestro is REALLY good, very responsive. The many controls that can be reached via the touch screen are very well laid out . Much better than when I had an Icom 7610 or 705. The screen will also supply information about your network functions and display things like lost packets , if you really need to know that stuff. You can connect your Maestro via an Ethernet port on the device or via WiFi. So far, I have found the WiFi to work very well when using the Maestro on my home LAN. I have not used it via a WLAN , yet. I did find that connecting to my iPhone's hotspot had an issue . It seems that the Maestro does not like connecting to a network that has an apostrophe in the SSID name. My iPhone automatically calls itself "Andy's iPhone" . Once I renamed my phone and eliminated the apostrophe , my Maestro worked ok on my Verizon Wireless /Iphone hotspot. 

Time will tell whether I will use the device as I intend, it seems to be a very useful gadget but I am not sure it is as "nimble" as I will need . 

Andy K3UK (ex KB2EOQ ). 

Comments

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Really nice write-up Andy. Thanks for taking the time/effort.

Now, if my Maestro C would show up, I could see for myself. 

😎

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good Review Andrew!

I have a Maestro C ordered and I sure hope FLEX decides to put a MIC and / or Adapters in the Box's, I had a Maestro A and the MIC on it was a RJ45 connector and I have built my own adapter that has the RJ45 Socket that the MIC plugs into, BUT I don't know if it will work or not yet.

I generally really don't like to use troublesome Adapters and it would be GREAT if Flex Radio built / sold a Coiled cord that had the correct connectors on one end for the Maestro C and the other end has the RJ45 that plugs into the MH31, FHM-2 and the FHM-3 MIC body. It's also really nice that the Maestro A / B feet will fit the Maestro C which will save me and others a few bucks.

Head sets: there are a lot of Gaming Headsets that have the CTIA adapter that should work with the Maestro C for under $100 with VERY high reviews like this one in the below link that I have been looking at, Like I said I don't have my Maestro C yet so I can't be sure if these would work or not. You would still need to build a 1/8"in TS PTT switch if you didn't want to have to hit the MOX button on the Maestro C to go into TX mode. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NBSF9N/ref=sbl_dpx_pc-accessories-headsets_B00YXO5U40_0?th=1

Having had a Maestro A, I do have to say I used it when I went on Vacation's and liked having it for the CW Sidetone with out a lot of extra equipment, I used it out camping when the Radio was in the RV and sitting outside running the radio over a WIFI router back at the RV, with NO INTERNET required or if I turned on the Cell Phone Internet Hot spot connected the Router back to the Base back home, A lot of Places I go don't have a hint of Cell phone coverage.

I do have to say it would be nice to have a bit of room that was user accessible or a USB Drive to run some Digital programs that you could use the Maestro screen to access there control panels so a extra tag along Laptop would not be required like FT8 and FLDIGI for MANY Digital modes.

I always wished the Maestro A had an External monitor to be able to put it on a Big screen or a Projector at Hamfests and showing it off and it's capabilities at Club meeting.

I already have two Batteries and a single charger ready to go and I'm excited to get the Email to have them finish my order.

This is NOT meant as any kind of rebuttal just add what I have and haven't had hands on experience with with the Maestro's

73's and have a great day

Bret

WX7Y

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

Thanks Peter and Bret . Hope yours arrives soon . Bret , thanks for the links . I will explore .

I just discovered the extra POTA info that pops up on my Maestro screen , very useful . Having a ball working POTA stations filtered via my logging software and populated on the Flex screen . I assume nothing new to A and B Maestro users .

Andy K3UK.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's great about the POTA Spots coming through to the Maestro C.

I have located the Radio Sport RS55SL that are being marketed as being for SmartPhone/ Tablet/ Notbook PC that I already have that has the CTIA cabling, FLEX used to sell these for the Flex 6400/6600 with the PTT adapter cable. http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/rs101555SL.asp

But as you said they are super expensive

Bret

WX7Y

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 12
    Options

Nice review.

I have an RS55SL and use a slightly adjusted version of FHM-3 mic profile.. Mic gain at 55 and TX BW 100-3000. I get very good audio reports, very clear audio.

one note on you comment on the $160 Chinese batteries. There are equivalent to the battery spec’ed by Flex. They are not the same manufacturer. With all the reports of fires traced to e-bike batteries, I would not use an equivalent battery. The online resellers of the OEM battery will add shipping for the battery. The money you save buying the actual spec battery someplace else will also need shipping cost. If you buy the battery at same time of the Maestro it will ship with the Maestro making cost difference negligible.

The addition of adding digital programs and logging, while a nice idea would lock the Maestro down to specific programs and versions. Flex wants to keep the OS locked down. Having it open to install programs would open it up to potential viruses and more support headaches if people change OS settings. The other thing is try to run SmartSDR, DAX, CAT, digital programs, and logging on an 8” screen. By needing a laptop, PC or MAC for digital and logging, it allows users the ability to choose which programs they want to use.

Just some of my thinking why these ideas may not have “made the cut”.

I received my Maestro 12 days ago. Last weekend a local high school sponsored a Super Science Saturday. Our local radio club was set up there and I used the new Maestro on battery for the full event along with my Dell XPS 15 laptop demonstrating FT8 and remote operation. We were in NJ and connected to a remote 6400 in Hawaii. Kids got a kick out of decoding stations from around the world on 20 meters. Stateside, EU and Asia stations.

I do think the new Maestro is working extremely well. The CTIA connector and RS55SL match up very well and I use a RadioSport hand PTT which included a right angle RCA female to 3.5 mm male mono plug.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

@WX7Y I bought an RS55SL quite a few years ago. It developed an issue with the headband. Dave Bottom from Arlan repaired it, including upgrading parts to enhance the headband. I received a completely refurbished and upgraded headset back for cost of shipping. His headsets may be expensive but his service is excellent.

The audio reports with the RS55SL are very good. Flex has done nice work with this pair.

Dave wo2x

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

Good to know that, thanks David.

Andy K3UK

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

Good points. I do feel that at some point all modern transceivers will have built in capability to transmit and decode FT8 , just as Icoms currently can send and decode PSK31 and RTTY. Maestro D could be the leader in this.😀

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

I should add that my C works really well connected to WiFi and operating in my back yard . Maestro located about 100ft from the home router . Previously , my Iphone using SmartSDR for iOS has not done so well trying from backyard to home router .

Currently doing yard work and listening to ECARS for past hour with no drop outs .

Andy K3UK

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I have been using my Maestro C for about a month.

Some key positives that I like:

• 10 hour battery life
    • The battery charges in the unit (yea!)
    • My RS60 headset plugs right into the HDST TRRS connector
    • Good WiFi coverage (not that I use it that way much)
    • Fast processing
    • I bombarded it with RTTY Skimmer spots from the BARTG RTTY contest on the weekend and never heard a single 'click'

Personally (again), I want my Maestro to be a one-purpose interface to my radio. It is the part I (the protein unit -- some of you will get that) needs to use.

If I need more, such as Digital Modes, etc., that is where the PC/MAC comes in and they perfectly interface to the Flex ecosystem. Yes, you can have both at the same time. Having digital and logging programs on the 8" display is just too small, especially for all of us over 50 who need to keep finding reading glasses.

Mike

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I received my Maestro C.

I use an HDMI capture card to bring the video into the PC, then convert the video to NDI formatted digital format for sharing across my LAN.

Here are some screenshots of how I incorporated the Maestro C into my station.

I like using knobs when working satellites. The Maestro makes adjusting the uplink frequency off set very easy using the XIT function on the VFO-B knob. I used the HDMI output to display the Maestro on my Satellite Dashboard. The dashboard includes a sound modem for capturing IO-117 packets.

Here is the HF Dashboard, with Mac SDR on top and Maestro below. This is my POTA hunter dashboard, POTA Phone on top right, and POTA digital bottom right. For POTA hunting, I prefer Smart SDR because most everything is automated, no need for knobs.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

I will agree with your comment about Wifi , I was able to easily able to take my C out to the back yard and operate Wifi about 100 feet away. Previous attempts with other radios were very poor with Wifi range over 70 feet.

Andy K3UK

• k7rfh.rich
    k7rfh.rich Member ✭✭
    Options

I finally have my Maestro C. Been trying to figure out why the HDMI doesn't display anything on my monitor.

Is there a setting that must be enabled to get the HDMI port to work?

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options

I have never tried mine

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.