Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex + Icom 7610 with PGXL and TGXL

Options
Mark_WS7M
Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2023 in Power Genius XL Amplifier

Hi all,

Ok after a factory reset I am able to key both the TGXL and PGXL with IC7610 however the PGXL often reports "HIGH SWR RFP" and does not output power.

I have break-in on the 7610 set to Semi with a second delay and I also have TX delay in the 7610 set to 20ms. This feels a little like the TGXL which is getting keyed by the 7610 is not coming on line fast enough and the PGXL sees a high SWR.

This is quite repeatable and pretty much makes the TGXL/PGXL use with the amp problematic.

Further info:

The configuration:

All devices on latest firmware and apps from Flex Website.

Flex6600 to port A on amp, amp port A to TGXL port A (SO2R version)

7610 to port B on amp, amp port B to TGXL port B

TGXL configured for Icom Cat and sees icom freq just fine. PTT from icom goes to TGXL port B PTT in. RCA from TGXL Port B out to Amp port B PTT in.

Amp set with port B in RF sense mode

Into a dummy load the TGXL shows the SWR at 1:09. I put the TGXL in bypass mode. Keying the 7610 will periodically key the amp and put out 140w. But very frequently will result in the HIGH SWR RFP message.

Any thoughts?

Mark - WS7M

Answers

• JohnMP
    JohnMP Member
    Options
    Mark, Did you ever get an answer on this?

I am getting the HIGH SWR RFP when using CW on my PGXL and IC7610.

John W3ML
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

If the 7610 has the option, increase TX Delay to at least 30 MS and make sure full break in is off.

Dave wo2x

• JohnMP
    JohnMP Member
    Options
    Dave, that is how mine is set up.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

There is a lot of work being done in this area. It is critical that you be running the latest software.

As well, when you comment, please take a moment and tell us what version you are running.

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I running the latest software on all my Flex hardware...this issue you are describing is a known issue. I completed a Help Desk ticket several weeks ago. My PGXL was reporting High SWR when I tried to key my 7610 on CW. My delay was set to 30 MS which is the max for the 7610. Here is the response I received from Flex Help Desk. While I did not like the answer I received the assistance I always get from Flex is great.

_______

The PGXL/TGXL combo may require slightly longer to "get ready" for RF than your Radio allows. We are currently telling Flex Users to set their TX Delay to 40 MS for the combo.

A work-around that many have used in the past is to use manual PTT (footswitch) in this manner:

Connect a footswitch to the Tuner Genius PTT A IN (Red) jack.

Connect an RCA Cable from the Tuner Genius PTT A OUT (White) connector to the Power Genius PTT A IN (Red) jack.

Connect an RCA Cable from the Power Genius PTT A OUT (White) connector to the PTT IN jack on your radio.

Now you can set the TX Delay in your radio to 0.

When you want to transmit SSB or CW, step on the Footswitch. This will key the tuner PTT, which keys the amplifier PTT, and when the amplifier is ready to transmit, it will key the PTT on your radio, and off you go. When finished with your transmission, release the footswitch.

This is an old time-honored way to prevent "Hot-Switching" an amplifier when the radio did not have sufficient RF Delay in itself.

(Older systems used a time-delayed relay to delay keying the radio PTT. - The old Heil deluxe footswitch had two sets of contacts - one for the radio and one for the amp that had a brief keying delay for the radio jack as you pressed the footswitch) 

The 4O3A software team is testing some software options that may shorten the needed delay for the PGXL/TGXL combo.

O have not information at present if this will be successful or when (or IF) it may be released.

_________

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the input.

I am mostly a CW op and the delay when using Flex to PGXL is acceptable. But I have not tried the RCA back from PGXL back to flex. I will give it a shot and see what it feels like.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Generally, 20ms is lots, which is about 1/2 the length of a DIT at 30 wpm.

If you have issues, try moving it up.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.