Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using the FreeDV application on a PC

Options
Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

These are some very very high level screen shots of my setup.

After downloading and installing FreeDV, you need to configure 3 things.

Audio

PTT

CAT - not super required.

I got 2 done:

Audio Input to computer

I am going to show the advanced window for Audio and only the radio side is highlighted.

I assigned DAX Audio RX 1 to the slice I was using. This is the INPUT to the FreeDV program.

On the bottom half, pick your speaker or maybe a USB headset. This is the part YOU listen to. (I use a Mixer, so it is VoiceMeeter Aux Input). Yours will be different.

Audio Output back to the Radio

The top part of this box is to highlight your PC Microphone.

PTT Config

I didn't use Hamlib yet, and went the easy way.

Configure a PTT Port in SmartSDR CAT.

In this example, mine is COM11 on Slice A with RTS highlighted.

On the Radio, you want to be in DIGU Mode

Just like in DIGU modes such as WSJTx

• TX Stream DAX on in SmartSDR DAX
  • TX DAX on in SmartSDR

FreeDV setup is exactly the same as setting up WSJTx, FLDigi, etc.

For CAT control, you will need to get Hamlib running (I haven't done that yet).

This should get you going enough to hear some QSO's.

(I have yet to make a QSO, but maybe in a day or so)

73, Mike va3mw

Comments

• Robert Johnk
    Options
    Hi Mike:

Just followed your instructions with your PTT instructions. FREEDV is now operational. Thanks for posting!
    Bob WB0VGD
  • mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike,

Can you share your VoiceMeeter settings for FreeDV?

Thanks,

Mike Geitner

K9MWG

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Thank you for your interest in training on VoiceMeeter. Indeed, VoiceMeeter setups can vary greatly, as each user's needs and configurations are unique.

It's essential to have a good understanding of the fundamentals, such as Audio Inputs, the BUS system, and Outputs. This knowledge will not only enhance your experience with VoiceMeeter but also help you troubleshoot effectively if any issues arise.

I recommend exploring the variety of tutorial videos available on YouTube about VoiceMeeter. These resources are quite comprehensive and can provide valuable insights tailored to different levels of expertise.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all... I have hamlib installed and have CAT control of the Flex working via this config:

I couldn't find/remember the default hostname, so I just put in :port (in my case :5002) and it seems to work fine. My Flex tho, is directly connected to my PC. Hope this helps...

I note at the bottom that it will also work with OmniRig, so that's also worth a try. I use OmniRig (old version) to connect the Flex to Log4OM.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.