Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro C - technical notes

Options
Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I am sharing some key technical points for those interested.

Shipping is still by year end 2023, but it is still a moving target, but we are working overtime to get it done. Once we start shipping, they will move out in a hurry.

If you have a unit on order we have already reached out to you a few times. If you haven't heard from me, please check your spam folder.

Connectors

• HDMI display out - Type A
  • 1920 x 1200 WUXGA Display
  • RJ45- Ethernet 100/1000 mb/sec
  • CW Key - ⅛” TRS
  • Powered Speakers - ⅛” TRS 3 watts 
  • Line Out - ⅛” TRS
  • Push to talk (PTT) - ⅛” TS
  • Headphones - ⅛” TRS 16 or 32 ohms
  • 24V DC 4 Pin D - PD-40V

You'll notice the connector layout and the 24V DC connector.

More to come and some things are still subject to change.

Comments

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

That's an interesting battery arrangement; looks to be a very specific size and fit. Considering how quickly manufacturer technology is changing now-a-days I wonder how confident FRS is that these size batteries will be available for the long term, in 5 or 10 years?

Butch, KF4HR

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Assuming the absolute worst, that all batteries are dead and no new ones are available, you could still use an external battery or just plug the unit into a wall outlet.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Yes, with the AC adapter that is shipped with it

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

@Neil D Friedman N3DF

Yes, with the AC adapter that is shipped with it

@Butch

The battery finds applications across various industries, giving us hope for its longevity. Nonetheless, one valuable lesson we've all learned is that there are no certainties when it comes to the future.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Rats! No Crystal ball???

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Not ideal LAN and HDMI cables orientation, Need to use 90 degree adapters that cables will not hang on on the side of Maestro.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Often, when you see these it is a matter of just where things will fit based on the internal construction. It may not have been the first choice in the design, but as you assemble the puzzle, that is what is left.

We are selling a 90 degree HDMI cable kit, but we may also have to add a 90 degree CAT kit as well.

• tgiro01
    tgiro01 Member ✭✭
    Options

When I ordered the Radio Sport headset, I ordered the cable for the Maestro, that I'm waiting for. Looking at the picture of the connections, I'm not sure it will work with the Maestro. I see the HDST connection and I'm assuming that's for the 4 section jack(?). Do I need to get another cable?

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Mike are the specs set in stone or is Bluetooth still being considered? It certainly would give the "C" much more Flexibilty, pun intended.

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited November 2023
    Options

Here is what was shared via email to those who currently have a new Maestro on order. Some other parts have been removed.

Will the original Tilt Feet (for earlier Maestro models) work?

Originally, the Maestro A, and B tilt feet were not going to fit as we advised some of you.  

We have found that with some adjustments these feet can fit, however, they will be a bit taller and not spaced as wide. 

Will the FHM-3 from the FLEX-6000 series radio connect to a Maestro C?

No. The Maestro C uses a ⅛” TRRS model of connector for the Microphone in order to allow TRRS headsets to work with the Maestro C.  

FlexRadio plans to market an optional cable that can be connected to the Maestro C and the Microphone Head of the FHM-3. 

What is included with the Maestro C?

• Maestro C
    • AC Power Supply
    • Fixed Mounting Feet
    • LAN Cable
    • Quick Start Guide

Is a battery required to operate the Maestro C?

No

When do I pay for my Maestro C order?

FlexRadio will contact you before shipping your Maestro C.

What Version of SmartSDR is required for Maestro C?

SmartSDR v3.6.x or v2.11.x or higher once they are released which will be prior to your Maestro shipping. 

Note: When using SmartLink to connect to your radio, you can update the Maestro remotely without issue. What you can't do is update the Radio firmware remotely.

Will the original screen cover fit a Maestro C?

Yes.

Can I use my Bluetooth audio devices?

Bluetooth capability will not be supported on the initial release. 

We are actively evaluating the performance and interoperability of Bluetooth for the Maestro and will provide updates via the newsletter as things progress.

What connectors are provided on the Maestro C?

• HDMI display out - Type A
    • 1920 x 1200 WUXGA Display
    • RJ45- Ethernet 100/1000 MB/sec
    • CW Key - ⅛” TRS
    • Powered Speakers - ⅛” TRS 3 watts 
    • Line Out - ⅛” TRS
    • Push to talk (PTT) - ⅛” TS
    • Mic / Headphone - ⅛” CTIA TRRS 16 or 32 ohms
    • 24V DC 4 Pin D - PD-40V

• widowsson_N6ATC
    Options

Hello:

Mouser appears to have this battery for considerably less ($118.) That is, of course if it's the same battery and will fit in the Maestro C. To be honest, I just copied the battery information from the specs below and pasted it into a web browser and Mouser came up.

Can anyone verify whether the Mouser battery will fit in the Maestro C?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/RRC-Power-Solutions/RRC2054?qs=C8aJjQqBHT0u5M3Buo4uYg%3D%3D

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited November 2023
    Options

I don't think that is the same battery as we are buying them in bulk and we aren't marking them up at all. That battery looks like it is 1/2 the size. Look for the RRC2054-2

I would not jump the boat just yet and order batteries. But, if we find them cheaper, we will pass that on.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/RRC-Power-Solutions/RRC2054-2?qs=W0yvOO0ixfHzDy4VaSxYMA%3D%3D

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Mike is right BUT?

There are different version (Slightly different part numbers) of those Batteries that you can purchase from many locations and I seen some with the same larger footprint that has different Watt Hour Capacity And Voltage's, I think this is the key to finding the correct Battery, The one on Mouser is 99 Wh. and 14.4Volts. The ones shown in the Maestro Survey picture are 95.4Wh @ 14.4 volts. BUT the Description is WRONG in the survey from the Survey which says " RRC2054 (4S1P) with 15.0V / 3200mAh / 48.0Wh - $215".

It is important to get the correct EXACT battery number, I think I remember seeing the differences is shown with the Suffix on the part number when I looked a few weeks ago.

I think I even seen some on EBAY and Amazon if you dare buy from them.

SO WHICH IS IT??? The Battery in the picture or the NON -2 battery shown in the Description "RRC2054 (4S1P) with 15.0V / 3200mAh / 48.0Wh - $215" ???? These are TWO totally different Batteries.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Thanks Bret

I noticed the exact same thing yesterday. In house, I wanted to actually physically see installed on the prototypes we have. :)

Mike

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

*** Update ***

My mistake in the FAQ wording and I should have caught this.

When using SmartLink and a Maestro, you CAN update the Maestro remotely.

What you can't do is update the Radio Firmware with a Maestro remotely.

I will update the FAQ above and my apologies for the confusion.

Mike

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    Options

Is the maestro C touch screen a separate unit or another 8” tablet with built in Dell PC like the A or B models?

Bob KC9RF

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

The Maestro C is a Touch Screen Display. It is not a tablet.

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Mike,

Are there any changes to Smart Control with Maestro C? I use a remote desktop and would like to know if I can use MIC input and CW input (using a straight key) on the Maestro-C in Smart Control that is connected to and controlling the slices etc on the SmartSDR client running on the remote PC.

This is from the current 3.x Maestro Manual, Section 9.5.9 What you Cannot Do in SmartControl:

• The Maestro Mic input is not available while in SmartControl Mode.

• The Maestro internal speaker is disabled when in SmartControl mode.

Chris de WX7V

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Hi Chris

Unsure just yet. As far as I know, the functionality at this time is identical. Once we get that running, we will then look at new features.

We have a living document here:

• frc2302
    frc2302 Member ✭✭
    Options

I, for one, am pleased that shipping has been pushed back to January 2024. You see, when I ordered the Maestro in February, I made a deal with myself: I'd reward myself with a Maestro after learning morse code, knowing I'd have at least until fall 2023 to do it. I overran the clock a bit, natch, but I at least now know all the characters (albeit at 5/20 Farnsworth). Since I've been granted another month's reprieve, I may get to 8/20 at 95% copy, at which point I'll feel like I've earned a shipping notice. 😂

But seriously ... thank you for prioritizing quality over speed, and for hanging in there through some tough years for manufacturing (and everything else).

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Our Alpha testers are now playing with them. Canada Customs is holding on to mine for some reason. :)

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW When you get your unit to test, I'd really like to know if the CW input on the Maestro can be used to key the remote FlexRadio when the the Maestro is in SmartControl Mode. This would be a great solution for my remote straight key operations. RKI is good but finnicky.

PS - The manual clearly states that the Mic input is not available while in SmartControl Mode, but does not say if CW input is available or not.

Chris de WX7V

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Hi Chris

I will test that, but if you can't do it on the earlier Maestro's you won't be able to do it on the new one.

• Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    Options

I can attest that the CW keying DOES in fact work on the Maestro (I have a B) while in Smart Control mode.

Charlie KB8CR

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

Charlie, Thank you - but to be clear on the answer, the CW input on the Maestro does key the remote radio in Smart Control mode?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

I just tested it on 3.6.3 (internal version) and yes, CW does work on the Maestro with the Maestro in SmartControl. Once I get my new Maestro, I will test it as well.

Thanks for asking this as I had to go try it.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mike a while back I ask about the Battery for the Maestro C and at that time you were unsure if it took the the smaller RRC2054 that is about 4" long or the larger RRC254-2 that is about 6" long and having heard nothing about it, I'm still wondering about which battery it takes.

Thanks a lot Mike and hope the Maestro C is released soon to the rest of us, It would be a nice Birthday present.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    Options

VESA mount>? I see 4 holes?

Would be handy on a swing arm.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mouser says the RRC2054-2 battery (specified for the Maestro C on the Flex website) is 150.4 mm long.

• DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike, this does only work for CW , right? Not for SSB?

Volker

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.