Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X, DAX RX Gain & AGC-T

Options
I have WSJT-X installed and working on my 6400 M. I know how to set the DAX TX audio correctly, but I am having trouble with the RX DAX gain and the AGC-T gain interactions. I read that I should tune the radio to a quiet spot on the band and adjust the noise level to 30 on the WSJTX monitor meter. That does not make sense to me because there are two controls (DAX RX and AGC-T) interacting with each other. Which one? Can anyone assist me with the optimum RX setting?
Tagged:

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Try this

First, set the AGC-T with a quiet spot on the band.

Now, with FT8 signals, adjust the RX Level so that the received signals are in the correct place which is about 1/2 up the scale while decoding signals.

That part is not really that critical on a FlexRadio thanks to the Dynamic Range the radio has. On older radios, it is more critical.

• DBC
    DBC Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you, Mike. I ended up landing with a DAX RX Gain = 56, and AGC-T = 11. I did not expect to turn the AGC-T that low. Seems to work.
  • Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

I should not interject, it is your system, but you are working on an incorrect premise. The WSJT-X meter measures a dB signal input and not noise. The level to aim for is mid-point during receive on an active FT8 band. It is not critical except that if you test it against number of decodes, you will see that circa 80dB plus will reduce decoding. Mid point should equate to a DAX RX gain level of about 35.

AGC-T should either be set according to the instructions provided by Flex, completely out-with FT8 and best done on SSB, or else set automatically using SDC. Either way, usually the AGC-T setting is around 50 unless you have an exceptional noise environment.

Your settings will look good from far, hence your belief that they "seem to work" but they are far from good. Try a few more experiments, especially noting the above figures. I think you will see better results. If not, nothing lost.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.