Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fixed IP Input for Smart SDR

Options
DL7FP
DL7FP Member ✭✭
Is it possible to tell Smart SDR on which address to find the Radio?
Thanks!
Best 73
Fabian, DL7FP
7 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

You can set the radio (server) to use a static IP address. Go to SSDR Setting>Radio Setup>Network>Advanced. You'll have to be connected to the radio to set the fixed address ( direct or through a router ). You'll need to ensure the address is compatible with your network.

Or you could reserve an address for the radio in your router (my preference).

If you're talking about the client ( SSDR ), It users the address of the computer and you can reserve a fixed ip for the computer in your router.

AL, K0VM

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@dl7fp

To answer your question. No.

The radio will do a network broadcast on your entire network so that SmartSDR can actually hear the radio.

This makes it very simple and very reliable.

I hope that helps, 73

Mike

• DL7FP
    DL7FP Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks very much to you both!!
    Best 73 Fabian
  • Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

Sure, fixing the IP-address of the RADIO is supported and useful (in my network, fixed-assets received fixed-IPs generally).

But I don't see it as an either / or choice to allow SmartSDR to connect to a specific IP-address. I've read your previous messages, Mike, about the larger population of users being less network-savvy, and I completely understand (like, and use) the auto-discovery of the Flex Radio by SmartSDR through the use of broadcast packets.

But I also ask (URGE) you to consider and support less-complex VPN setups by simply allowing the user to specify the target IP address of the Flex radio. Hide it behing an "Advanced" button if you wish, but this small request - which doesn't conflict or negate existing function - would be a huge enabler for so many. Layer 3, baby!

Thank-you

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I will pass on your message Gord.

There are numerous cookbooks available that might help you out. Have you given any thought to trying?

I only say that is that if you take the time to learn it, you will be in control of your own solution and not waiting for someone else to do it.

• DL7FP
    DL7FP Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Gord-VA7GP said:
    > Sure, fixing the IP-address of the RADIO is supported and useful (in my network, fixed-assets received fixed-IPs generally).
    > But I don't see it as an either / or choice to allow SmartSDR to connect to a specific IP-address. I've read your previous messages, Mike, about the larger population of users being less network-savvy, and I completely understand (like, and use) the auto-discovery of the Flex Radio by SmartSDR through the use of broadcast packets.
    > But I also ask (URGE) you to consider and support less-complex VPN setups by simply allowing the user to specify the target IP address of the Flex radio. Hide it behing an "Advanced" button if you wish, but this small request - which doesn't conflict or negate existing function - would be a huge enabler for so many. Layer 3, baby!
    > Thank-you

Exactly, that would also help me a lot, as I could then simply use wireguard.
    Thank you Gord!
    73 Fabian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.