Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to SO2R using 2 Flex 6xxx radios?

Options
Ty K3MM
Ty K3MM Member ✭✭

I thought it would be easy. Turns out its hard! It starts out with the problem of how to control the 2 radios from one computer and then how to deal with audio switching and routing, OTRSP , etc. I've got a Microham u2r which I may be able to use as an external hardware device for switching. A couple people have suggested using a virtual machine for the second radio but I'm not sure how that works to tie things together for use with N1MM and 2 keyboards as an SO2R. Anyone have experience with this? 73!

Tagged:

Comments

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You should not need the Microham. Switching can be done with software, all on a single PC. I just use a single keyboard.

Each "radio" is really just a separate slice. My version of SSDR came with a default global profile for SO2R. If yours has that, start out by loading it.

You need to set a Com port in SSDR CAT to control each slice, a total of 2. Mine are Com11 for Slice A and Com4 for SliceB. These need to be type "C" ports. And then a type "O" port to do the SO2R switching. Mine is Com13.

Then use these Com ports to setup N1MM. For my, Com5 is my Winkey.

I don't use automatic audio switching, but I have played around with it and here is what I have setup in my CW Run macros for that:

F1 CQ,CQ SST K9WX{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}

F2 Exch, TIM IN{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}

F3 TU,TU K9WX{CLEARRIT}{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}

You have to remember to turn the automatic control for this On in N1MM. I think that is Ctrl+Shift+L. Or, look in the Config, SO2R menu.

Tim K9WX

• Ty K3MM
    Ty K3MM Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Tim. I know all the single 6600 SO2R setup and I use t hat for the digital modes without OTRSP, but I hadnt thought about adjusting the macros on the F keys to create the RX latching. I'll give that a shot for the single 6600 setup!

• Ty K3MM
    Ty K3MM Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks again Tim! That macro string does the trick. The Ctrl-~ toggles it on and off and it seems to work fine with 2 keyboards. Looking forward to trying it out in the next CWT! I'm one step closer to selling off my FTdx101D! LOL! 73, Ty K3MM

• np4zulu
    np4zulu Member ✭✭
    Options

TY,

did you get the two 6600 running without the microham device?

do you see any delays from where you were using the microham on other rigs?

Happy Holidays!

Felipe

NP4Z

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

This is pretty hard to do actually as you can't have 2 copies of SmarSDR CAT running at the same time on the same computer and this limits the ability to N1MM to control both radios.

But, if you use TCP addressing, you can get close.

I am not sure why you would do this since the 6600 has OTRSP and the Band Pass filters built in. But, there is always some cool reason to give it a try.

• np4zulu
    np4zulu Member ✭✭
    Options

Tim,

What you say sounds perfect, but how do you control the second radio with the same stance of SmartCAT?

that seems to be missing from your post. Can you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Felipe

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Felipe: I just have 1 radio, the Flex 6600, but I have two panadapters, each with one slice. And then 2 serial ports set up in SmartSDR CAT. To N1MM, this looks like 2 separate radios.

Tim K9WX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.