Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW with ALS 600

Bob
Bob Member ✭✭

Tried CW for the first time with my ALS 600. Got a lot of clicking during sending.

1. Is that noise being transmitted?
  2. The Ameritron manual says to use the ALC and increase to 500 watts until the ALC light just starts to flash. I don't use the ALC in SSB
  3. Is there a good video explaining how to use CW with this amp? Thanks you

Best Answer

• Bob
    Bob Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Many thanks. I will check settings and play!😀

Bob

W1AGC

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Questions

1. What was your CW delay set to? The delay is how long the radio stays in TX after a CW Element is sent. I would try increasing that value.
    2. What speed was your CW?
    3. What was clicking? The radio or the amplifier
    4. This is not related to ALC at all, but it is good to follow the manufacturer's guidelines. Most never use the ALC at all (I know myself and my friends don't use it)

• Bob
    Bob Member ✭✭

Hi Mike

An update:

I believe I am now on the right track.

1. I am finding that I am smoothest at about 400ms. It was on 0 before. Is 400 too high?
    2. My actual speed sending is at 15. I am not sure what. this setting is actually doing but I set it to 17 as in your photo. What am I actually setting, the recive speed? I can't see any changes no matter how it is set.
    3. Clicking was from the amp and it clicked in between every charater before when I had it set to 0. Now at 400 it only clicks at the start of my cw operating (maybe at the end too but I am too lazy to check) which is a great improvement.

I am assuming that in changing the delay the QSK goes off but the QSK symbol is not going away in the Slice window. Is there any way to get rid of it?

Thanks

Bob W1AGC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.