Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX-6600 video overview of a FDX Satellite Setup with SATpc32

Mike-VA3MW
Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

An overview and operation of the FLEX-6600 for AMSAT satellite work. In this example, we go over the highlights of a 2 transverter setup and use SATpc32 for the software control. The focus is on FlexRadio integration using SmartSDR CAT for radio control.

What is key is that the FLEX-6600 operates like 2 unique radios (VHF and UHF) and SatPC32 is controlling both VHF and UHF independently.

My station is a FLEX-6600, G5400 AZ/EL Rotator, ERC-M rotator controller, 13EL 13B2 on VHF, and Directed Systems 24 EL UHF antenna on a fiberglass boom.

Comments

• Don AI6RE
    Don AI6RE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023

Very nice description of setting up for Satelite operation.

If you adjust the waterfall rate to show at least 10 minutes you can see the overall shift across the entire satelite pass. Shown below.

• BSharp66
    BSharp66 Member
    Just ordered my Q5 Signal 144 transporter and will be purchasing a 440 in the future. Does HRD integrate with Flex for the doppler shift?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

HRD will easily communicate with the FlexRadio. You can now use SliceMaster to make the connection.

However, I tried to use HRD for satellite tracking and it didn't go so well. I found SatPC32 to actually work better. I might give HRD another shot.

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭

What options do you order it with

Available Options

IF Configuration

Common IF

Split IF

RF Configuration

Common RF HP (+$35.00)

Split RF

IF Drive Level

-20dBm to 0dBm

0dBm to +20dBm

1W to 10W

PTT Polarity

Low (GND)

High (>1.7V)

Local Oscillator Stability

Standard

High Stability 0.28ppm (+$45.00)

Custom IF

Standard IF - 28MHz

Custom IF - Please Specify at Checkout (+$35.00)

Additional Options

Sequencer Enabled / AUX Port Installed (+$35.00)

LNA Bias on RF Coax (+$50.00)

PTT-H on IF Coax (+$25.00)

Switch-Selectable LO Freq (+$50.00)

• Mike-VA3MW

This is how I ordered mine. The other features are something you will have to decide if you require.

This will give you a Common IF Transverter with PTT by grounding the PTT lead and a 28Mhz IF.

The rest depends on what you may or may not do with preamps, etc. You can discuss this with Cory at Q5. He answers emails pretty quickly.

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭

Just wanted something basic and that will work

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike U have me wondering about adding all this.

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭

So if I want to use 2 transverters wit a 6500 would I get split IF or common if transverters and do I get the 25w 75w or 150w output unit.

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭

I got it figured out . . . Gonna order that multiband unit . . . EXPENSIVE . . . MORE ANTENNA'S

• Mike-VA3MW

If you want to do Satellite work, you will need 2 transverters since you do run in Full Duplex so you can hear your downlink. You can't do that with the MultiBand one. And, yes, expensive but very well made.

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭

Ok Thanks

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Mike-VA3MW I have used SatPC32 before. With success... I have been using an S.A.T. unit with my 9700 for the last few months. Works VERY well. But I miss the panadapter of the Flex 6600M. I have created the profiles for Mode-B and Mode-J. For the life of me I can't get it to work... Sometimes I get output sometimes I don't. I have watched your video till my eyes bleed. I am not new to this and I thought I could figure it out for myself. I am stumped.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Mike-VA3MW

Well I got SO-50 to work!

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@Mike-VA3MW

Well... Alright... RS-44 works too. Guess I fixed it. Thanks for the help Mike!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.