Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius XL Airflow Requirements

Hello,

I've had my amplifier since ~Oct 2021 and just love it. Especially that it's idiot proof for avoid those late night contesting mistakes like trying to push 1500W for 20M on the 80M antenna...

But I am curious what the airflow requirements are. The only cooling inlets seem to be in the front, with the exit in rear. So my question is how far should the rear of the amplifier be from a wall. It's in a corner and I'd like to move it closer to the wall to free up some desk space. Any recommendations? 6"? 8"?

Thanks & 73 Mike
NG1M
Tagged:

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

You can narrow that up if you like. Just keep an eye on the temperature of the PGXL. If you notice the cooling being less effective, then make some more room.

If it gets too hot (like 90C) it has the appropriate protection to start shutting things down.

Let us know how you make out.

• Mike Visich
    Mike Visich Member ✭✭
    Thx but any suggestion on a distance?
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

How about the empirical approach?

Start with the amp 12" (18"?) away and monitor the internal temp. Move it incrementally closer, say 2" per move, And check the temp again.

When the temp rises noticeably you will have an idea what is too close to the wall.

Just an idea...

• Mike Visich
    Mike Visich Member ✭✭

Thx - that is an empirical approach. I am just surprised there is no specification of standoff distance, which I just assumed would be standard to a device like this.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

It depends on the actual physical structures above, below, right, and left and how they influnece air flow. That may be why there is no simple answer as I'm sure it would be dillicult to test in all situations.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.