Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TGXL not saving tuner settings

howardsh3t
howardsh3t Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Tuner Genius XL

I just purchased a used TGXL for my 6400 at my remote site which I plan to install in a few months. I am testing it home now with a K3 only using RF sensing for the band data, PTT, and no data connection. The tuner works great into my attic dipole but is not saving the tuner settings for the best match. When I go back to that freq, I have to do a re tune to get the match again. I use either the tuner knobs directly or the windows application. The C & L settings on the display stay the same from the last tune cycle. My frequency is not shown on the display, only my band of operation.

Is there anything I have to do to save the settings to the memory, or is this feature only working with the Flex radios and a band interface, or a comm interface from a non Flex radio?

I hate to drive the 300 miles to the remote site to find out there is a problem with the tuner

Using manual tuning, I push the left button to save the settings, the display says saved, but the settings are not saved and I have to retune when I go back to that freq.

Also using the windows app, I cant save the settings by clicking on the left C button, but I can by pushing very **** the actual button. It will then say saved but it will not recall when returning to the same freq.

Thanks,

Howard AE3T

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

I created a ticket for this, but you may have to contact 4O3A directly as they are the manufacturer of the TGXL hardware and software. FlexRadio is just the distributor. But, we will help if we can.

support@4o3a.com

• howardsh3t
    howardsh3t Member ✭✭

Thanks Mike,

I just downloaded and printed the manual. If you do not have a frequency input from the radio, it only stores 1 memory per band and not the 10 per band. This is my set up now for testing and it is working fine per this info. I will assume that everything is fine and it will work great when connected to my flex in a few months.

Howard AE3T

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

And, Dave WO2X just told me the same thing.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I received an answer on the operation of the Tuner Genius when in RF Sense mode. Currently the RF Sense will only change bands and there is one tuner memory for the band when in RF Sense mode. There are reasons why they limit it to setting the band only on RF Sense.

For the K3, you want to have the serial CAT data be fed to the tuner's CAT port. Then the tuner will have 20 memories per antenna per band.

I tested with a K4 and I used third party hardware to split the K4 serial CAT and then provide that CAT to my PG XL and TG XL, along with my logging program and WSJT-X. I fed BCD from the K4 to the AG.

Dave wo2x

• Arizona Mike
    Arizona Mike Member ✭✭

"Currently the RF Sense will only change bands and there is one tuner memory for the band when in RF Sense mode."

This makes absolutely no sense. Will there be an update to fix this shortcoming?

• David Decoons, wo2x

It is by design. If you send CAT or CI-V or Flex LAN it will have 20 memories per band.

4O3A designed and builds the tuner.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW

What Dave says is accurate. The TGXL, designed and maintained by 4O3A, is working as designed.

They do welcome feedback at support@403a.com if you want to reach out to them directly.

• Arizona Mike
    Arizona Mike Member ✭✭

403A does not answer emails. I wrote them several time and don't get responses.

"The TGXL, designed and maintained by 4O3A, is working as designed. They do welcome feedback at support@403a.com if you want to reach out to them directly."

Hmm, last I my Tuner Genius has the words FLEX RADIO in the upper left hand corner.

Sorry if that sounds argumentative, but if Flex is selling the item, puts their name on it, and does not clearly state on the product website that they do not support it (maintain it as you say), then I have to ask, why?

• David Decoons, wo2x

Flex does support and repair tuners here in the U.S. There is a difference in support and design. 4O3A manufactures and designs the tuner. It is sold under the Flex brand in North America. Flex handles the North American support and repairs. We do not design any firmware or hardware changes.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x

Oh, and look at your tuner for sale. It has the 4O3A logo in bottom right of front panel.

Dave wo2x

• Arizona Mike
    Arizona Mike Member ✭✭

Oh Dave, not sure what your point is.

For reference, and since you mention 403A, Product liability refers to the liability of any or all parties along the chain of manufacture of any product for damages caused by that product. This includes the manufacturer of component parts (at the top of the chain), an assembling manufacturer, the wholesaler, and the retail store owner (at the bottom of the chain). 

As an example under US law......

Prima Facie Case (for the commercial seller of the defective product)

1. The defendant sells a product that the plaintiff uses
    2. The defendant is the commercial seller of such a product
    3. The plaintiff suffers an injury
    4. When the defendant sold the item, the item was defective
    5. The defect was an actual and proximate cause of the plaintiff's injury

Not saying that what is being discussed has caused me damage or injury (although a case could likely be made that the way the product is advertised may be misleading as others here have indicated in the past) is of one type or another, but I am saying that Flex may certainly be liable for the firmware and design contrary to what Mr. Mike VE3MW expressed. Flex can not just **** off responsibility/liability for the design, should it turn out to be defective on the shoulders of 403A. Flex has their name on the product, they are in fact liable for the product.

I am selling the tuner because it is not workable for my use. That is, it will not save more than one memory in RF Sense. It is to be used with a commercial radio where band and frequency data is not available.

For my Flex 6600, it was and is a functional and excellent solution.

I do appreciate your thoughts..........

Mike

• Mike-VA3MW

There are a few key points here, and I certainly am not a US Legal Lawyer, so I leave that to people who make a lot more money than we do.

The design of the TGXL is as others have mentioned:

• In the FlexRadio Ecosystem - the TGXL does track 20 tune memories / band
    • In an OEM solution while using the available CAT frequency tracking where the radio sends the VFO frequency to the TGXL you also get 20 memories / band
    • In RF Sense mode where the operator has chosen not to connect a band data to the TGXL then you only get 1 memory/band. The TGXL will support FlexRadios via LAN connection and connections to Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, and Elecraft radios via CAT.
    • In all cases, the TGXL is working as designed and advertised

73 all!

This discussion has been closed.