Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M Internet Connection

Sorry for the bonehead, newbie question.

Last weekend for the WPX RTTY Contest, I used the link-local connection from my laptop to the 6600M. Everything worked well except I got the Connected to Ethernet, Internet Unavailable icon on the front panel of the radio.

Just to confirm my understanding, the WiFi to my laptop doesn't provide service to the 6600M through the ethernet cable, right?

So in order to make this work properly, I would have to use an ethernet hub connected to the 6600M and the laptop then run a Cat5 cable to the wireless modem/router.

Can anyone tell me if this process can be done or can I replace the Cat5 cable to the wireless modem/router with some sort of WiFi connection attached to the ethernet hub?

Thanks and 73,

Ray - ND8L

ND8L2828@gmail.com

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓

Hi Ray

Yes, if you do a link local connection you will get the Internet Unavailable message. This is to be expected.

If you do this, you will not be able to connect to your radio with any other device.

There is a 'work around' and that is to turn on something called ICS - Internet Connection Sharing on the computer that the radio has the LAN connected to. It is a bit complicated to set up.

Yes, you should be using a Switch to connect all devices together. There are wireless tools that you can use to connect your radio to WiFi, but you will see that the wifi communications to the radio will be compromised. Unfortunately, they are out of stock at this time.

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

If I understand your question, when you say “WiFi to your laptop”, you mean internet?

if so, the laptop does not pass internet to the 6600m. However the 6600M doesn’t ever need internet to be fed to it. It is the server that supplies data to the laptop for display in SmartSDR. The. Laptop MAY connect to the internet for data, such as spots.

I use a Ethernet switch to connect the pc to both the internet and the flex since a wired connection is much more reliable than WiFi.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.