Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are you using SkookumLogger?

I am have trouble getting SkookumLogger to display frequency changes in real time. Currently if take about a minute for Skookum to catch up when I change a frequency in SmartSDR. Comments, suggestions, help please.

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I can test this around noon Rastern today on my 3 month old MAC Mini M1.

I do not remember seeing this issue but will check and inform the group. I do not use the MAC for day to day or contests. I only bought it to become familiar with various software for MAC.

Dave wo2x

• I am leaving for the Christmas holiday now. Will be back on 12/26 approx noon time. Would really appreciate your help then.
    73, John, K1JSM
  • David Decoons, wo2x

Hi John

I need a little time over the Holiday to test this. I normally do not run the MAC.

Dave

• ct1drb
    ct1drb Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022

Hello all,

John Mills, I have same problem of you. If I use CAT from SmartSDR and SkookumLogger it does not work well and it takes long time to update qsy of freq, if you use RIT at SmartSDR app it crashes out.

However, I solved problem, it is a question to use xCat app from DL3LSM Mario and problem is gone. Of course you could not use the CAT from SmartSDR.

Best 73, have a nice weekend and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

CT1DRB/OK8RB

David Quental

• David Decoons, wo2x

I tested Skookum this afternoon on MAC Mini that is about 2 months old. It is running Ventura 13.1 and current SmartSDR for MAC with the built in CAT as well as latest Skookum.

The frequency in Skookum updates in real time as I move the tuning in SmartSDR for MAC using the mouse.

Using the Flex Control knob I see a delay from the time I stop moving the knob to Skookum updating. I tested with MAC Logger DX and the updates have pauses, but not as long as Skookum. The difference is MAC Logger DX talks to the radio through the API and Skookum through CAT.

I do not know the default CAT speed for SmartSDR CAT vs xCAT. If xCAT is faster, then use that.

Dave wo2x

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Dave, most apps that use CAT commands have an adjustable polling interval. If you can shorten the interval without overwhelming your computer, the update will be much faster.

• David Decoons, wo2x

Correct. I have not found where to do so in the MAC, Skookum, or SmartSDR for MAC’s internal CAT. I do not know what the baud rate is set at.

The other thing that might be happening (I have no way of telling) is the buffer might be filling up with frequency CAT commands as you tune and it takes a couple of seconds after you stop turning the Flex Control knob.

Worth a question to both authors.

Dave

• ct1drb
    ct1drb Member ✭✭

Hello all,

I did a couple of tests and here are the results:

1) SL (SkookumLogger) with CAT from SmartSDR does not work well;

2) RL (RUMlogNG) with CAT from SmartSDR works well;

3) SL with xCAT from DL3LSM and SmartSDR works well;

4) RL with xCAT and SmartSDR works well too.

According to my tests it seems that RL has a problem, however, there are hams that do not have problems in point 1) so I do not know what is going on.

Best 73 and my Merry Christmas to all of you.

CT1DRB/OK8RB

David Quental

• ct1drb
    ct1drb Member ✭✭

Hello all,

I did a capture of the traffic between SL and SmartSDR with Wireshark app, maybe it could help somehow to

clarify this problem.

Best 73 and Merry Christmas all.

CT1DRB/OK8RB

David Quental

• xCat app from DL3LSM Mario and problem is solved. Thanks to all that responded.
    John, K1JSM
  • Hi,

I have also noticed this lagging with the USB VFO using SKL and SmartSDR. With xCAT no problem.

Anyone found more on the cause?

Happy weekend!

• Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭

K2QO here. You may know that I'm an avid contested who has used Skookum Logger for a LONG time. That was until I bought my 6500 in early 2020. I have read every thread on the Internet regarding getting SKL to play nicely with Flex and to date, none of it works for more than a short while.

For the recent SSB contest I ran Skookum Logger and found that after 10 minutes of so, my ability to tune the rig died. I'd turn the FlexControl Knob and nothing happened. I'd then change frequency in smartSDR, but Skookum would not follow. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Until K1GQ adopts the API (which he told me will never happen) I'm going to stick with Windows. I've setup a dozen contest in Skookum with every manner of setting, using xCAT, changing timings, you name it, and ALL have failed. That leaves me to fire up the Windows box and MANUALLY enter all the Qs I've made into N1MM. Total PITA.

Mark K2QO

FN03ra

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Mark

That is strange as there 'should not' be a conflict between the Knob and Rig control. They use 100% different serial ports.

I don't use either, but that is my thought.

Mike

• Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭

Mike,

I’ve begun using IP addresses and ports for everything possible as you pointed out in previous videos and posts. I think the knob is on a COM port. A few contests ago I put it all on COM ports and Skookum stopped working. I’d bet that I’ve tried every combination of settings mentioned over the past couple years

Maybe WO2X could get K1GQ liquored up, and in the process get the Flex API into Skookum. While I’m resigned to usign Windows with Flex, I’m still fantasising on how to get a workable Mac contesting solution. The “just use the Kenwood TS2000 TCP setting” is not workable.

VA3MW Telnet Note: using K2QO-1 as my login worked FB. I was connected all weekend w/o a hitch during the SSB.

73, Mark K2QO

• Hi!

I have been using SKL as contest logger with XCAT, SmartSDR and USB VFO. Works 100% OK.

With SmartSDR CAT it wont work. SKL gets flooded of frequency requests. Marcus has tested and confirmed this.

In a SO2R set up it is fabulous. It's queuing of "to-be" sent message while sending a message is just awesome.

• N4OC
    N4OC Member ✭✭
    Kari— could you provide some additional detail/instructions on the use of XCAT with SKL? I’ve not used XCAT so would appreciate any assistance you can provide. I’m setting up a remote location using a MacMini pro with SmartSDR for MAC along with a FlexControl and an Elgato Stream Deck 2.
    Thanks Ed

N4OC
  • Hi Ed,

Yes I use Skokuum Logger. See SKL's new manual v. 4.0 (google it) you will see there how to configure. Very easy.

73s Kari SM0HRP

• N4OC
    N4OC Member ✭✭
    Thanks Kari

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.