Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Operation using Starlink - Performance Report

Options
If anyone is interested in latency using Starlink (remote connection via SoftEther to my 6600/PGXL/TGXL) from a gigabit Cox cable connection, here you go.

It works. It's not flawless, but it works.

My shack is in my other house 110 miles north of me as the crow flies. If I had a wired Internet connection (as opposed to LEO satellites), it would be rock solid. As it is, using Starlink, it is "mostly ok". I rate it 65% perfect for rag-chewing. Definitely not acceptable for contesting. Expect some dropouts. But I have had signal reports of "excellent, perfect audio". I probably should have recorded them!

EDIT: my grade may have been a bit harsh. There are times it is 75% perfect, which I think is good considering the use of Starlink. This proves that perfectly acceptable operation is possible. Plus, in my location, I have obstructions to an open-sky view. Starlink will tell you that obstructions are deadly, and you'll get lots of interruptions. We rarely get them streaming video TV services. But, for ham radio use, it's much more of a factor. The next comment shows my obstruction picture.

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.