Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

EQ and gain settings for iPhone / iPad

New flex owner looking for suggestions for rag chew audio. I purchased the flex so I could rag chew from the living room sofa. I’m receiving poor audio reports. Devices are iPhone 13 Pro and iPad Air 4. I use both devices with and without AirPod pros. I searched discussions ect and was surprised to not find any shared settings. I would think they would be fairly standard for apple users. Using an Acom 2100 amplifier as well.

Thanks
AD9BI

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Frank, if your Flex is a 6000 series, you can listen to your own transmitted signal using Full Duplex ( FDX).

Mike, VA3MW and Ken, NM9P both have excellent videos on YouTube detailing how to adjust your audio.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭

@FrankAD9BI

I would check to see that you're not over driving. It's easy to do on an iPad. I use a Corsair gaming headset on my 8th gen iPad. Mic gain is set at 1.

• FrankAD9BI
    FrankAD9BI Member ✭✭

I have 6400M. Yes I’ve tried this, but found it challenging to do. I was able to do the fdx but with the delay ect I had trouble pinning down the eq differences.

• FrankAD9BI
    FrankAD9BI Member ✭✭

@ka9ees

i wonder that as well. All I have to go by is meter. I maintain my peaks around -10db as prescribed in the manual. Also I do have the mic boost turned off. I also noticed there is a mic valine setting under the audio tab on the left menu. I have it set to 0 and the standard mic level at 20. EQ pictured below.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Frank, you might try hitting the record button on the receive slice. Then you aren't trying to talk and listen at the same time.

If you have a program like Audacity, you can use it to do the recording to a file so that you can more easily compare settings.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

You can also use the Full Duplex feature of the radio to listen to yourself.

This is a wonderfully powerful tool that is in no other radio.

• FrankAD9BI
    FrankAD9BI Member ✭✭

@Mike-VA3MW I use an acom 2100 amp, so I think my audio may sound decent at 1-5 watts. I can't believe that I am the the only one running an amplifier with an apple device. Nobody has figured out anything good audio settings for an iPhone, or iPad ? I realize that everbody's voice is different, but some starting points would be nice. I want rag chew Audio from an apple device at full legal limit.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

I wonder why you don't take Len's or Mike's suggestion? Then you will know how you sound and can make necessary adjustments.

• FrankAD9BI
    FrankAD9BI Member ✭✭

@Geoff AB6BT I have used fdx to listen to myself, but not at full power. As stated above, it sounds ok at 1-5 watts when using fdx, but it’s hard to tell listening at 1 watt on an iPad in full duplex.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@FrankAD9BI

This is something you'll need to work to isolate. It might take more power.

The radio will also run 2 'clients' using SmartSDR or 2 iPads at the same time.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited January 2023

Taking Mike’s last comment a step further,

use the radio full duplex with iPad on TX Ant1.

Use PC client with RX on transverter or RX port for receive, and PC client set to DAX RX1. Download and install Audacity. Set it up with recording device DAX RX1. You may need to stick a small piece of wire in the transceiver or RX antenna center pin to receive the lower power signal.

Now you can record your transmission from the iPad and play it back. It will be easier to hear changes rather than doing it live with the inherent audio delays.

P.S. I use the Apple AirPod Pro 2 earbuds with good reports with both the iPhone and iPad.

Dave wo2x

• FrankAD9BI
    FrankAD9BI Member ✭✭

Sold the flex and went back to Icom. Great audio without the headaches. Struggled with the 6400 M for 2 weeks, making radio not fun. Going back to the Icom was like returning home from vacation. Might be ok for contesters who exchange a couple words, but the reports I received with flex supplied mic set on the flex supplied mis profile was garbage. Yes I did the whole full duplex thing ect, and the Audi quality was not only poor, but inconsistent. Highly disappointed in my purchase. Luckily the radio is in demand and I was able to get out from under it without getting hurt.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.