Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Amplifier for Remote Operation

Options

Hello, I will be looking to purchase an Amplifier for Remote (WAN) use. My setup currently is a 6600 / ATU. I operate AM and currently use a 20W carrier with good modulation. I operate remote 95% of the time. For the client side, I use SmartSDR for MAC, which I prefer over the Windows version. My audio chain is the following:

Presonus PD-70 Dynamic Microphone => MOTU M2 Audio interface => MacBook 14 Pro M1 (with Loopback Audio) => DAW w/ Graphic EQ, Compressor, and Limiter => SmartSDR for Mac => RF Antennas: 75M dipole up 80ft, 40-10 OCF dipole up 70ft. Resonant Antennas. Audio Reports on AM are excellent with low cut of 50 and high cut of 5000.

I would like to get an amplifier that runs on 110 VAC. I am only looking to run 400W PEP with an AM carrier of 100W. I think the KPA-500 and PG-XL would fit the bill, but there may be other amplifiers to consider. I don't have the capability for 220 VAC. The key would be complete control of the amplifier over the internet via IP address from the MacBook. PG-XL is fully integrated with SmartSDR for Mac, but the cost may be too high. KPA-500 is also a bit expensive as well. In both cases, I would have to hard limit the power output to less than 500W (or 10 amps max on the 110 VAC circuit in the wall. (don't want to over heat the wire in the wall when not on premise) Any suggestions foran Amplifier for this use case that is easily remote able? Thanks! dan wa1qzx

Comments

• KP4IP
    KP4IP Member ✭✭
    Options

I think the PGXL is the one that best suits, if the budget permit. The integration with SSDR is hard to beat. I use mine "remotely" (LAN or WAN) with SSDR for Mac and SSDR for iOS and they are very reliable.

73' Frank - KP4IP

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Frank, Thanks for feedback. Yes, I believe it would be best choice with seamless integration with SmartSDR for Mac. And ease of remote operation. Price is the only issue for me. And need for TGXL. I am reluctant to dish out that much cash, but that is a financial constraint of mine. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. 73 dan de wa1qzx

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You may want to consider an SGC500 500 watt brick. I used one for years. I sold it to a friend of mine who is still using it.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike, Thank you for this suggestion. I shall look into the SGC 500. Thanks again, dan de wa1qzx

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not much change in tx signal strength between the two. 100 watts to 200 watts = 3db 1/2 s-unit. 200 watts to 400 watts another 3db for a total of 6db =1 s-unit. 400 watts to 800 watts = 3db. 800 watts to 1600 watts = which is 1 s-unit more than 400 watts.

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

I’m also looking for a recommendation on an amp for remote usage. What amp would you recommend John?

Or, Is your answer no amp, because of the S-unit comparison?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.