Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Significant difference between LP 700 and RF power of TG and PG

LP 700 shows 1300 watts (cw) and both the PG and TG show 850w +/_ 5w difference between them. LP 700 is seeing the antenna i.e. last in the RF chain. Feed line is 7/8 Heliac,375 feet and the last 65 feet is Bury-Flex. Antenna is 6-JK and band selected is 20. SWR on the 6-JK is 1.4 at the antenna. Many offers to buy "power producing tuner that runs on 12vdc" Hi Thoughts? JIM

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks, Mike..appreciate your thoughts. The 1.4 was at the antenna, at 55 feet, prior to attaching coax.. I understand the inductive--resistive issue. Root question remains---why the difference in power readings---which do I trust given the huge difference? Power producing tuner was an attempt at humor.....Regards, JIM
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi Jim

Sorry I missed it. :). Sometimes you just never know.

With an SWR mismatch, your power will also be inaccurate. It is only accurate on a 50 ohm resistive load.

• Thanks...will let you know if I ever figure it out. Mismatch is one thing but the entire set up is remarkably flat (for a change) Happy New Year JIM
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

It is all about standing RF waves (waves that do not move in the feedline) and constructive and destructive interference.

I was trying to find a good article on it, but I am still looking.

In college, we built a test jig at 100Mhz that had jumpers in 1/4 wave increments. (ok, I built it and I feel like I soldered about 100 connectors on all the different cables we required). We then measure the RF power along the feedline on a 50 ohm load and on a 25 ohm load. I wish I still had the notes from it. :)

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Jim - Even with running into a 50 ohm RF load (Palstar DL5K) I see differences. My PG-XL and TG-XL (with latest updates) typically indicate power level indications which are fairly close (~ 30 watts difference @ 1kw), while my LP-700 shows 200-300 watts lower. ˉ\_(ツ)_/ˉ

Butch, KF4HR

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Jim, I know you mentioned your system is relatively flat but couplers for LP 700 should be before amp and between amp and tuner.

Using Flex TUNE button, I see about a 5% difference in the PG XL, TG XL, and high power LP700 coupler with a 2000 watt 50 Ohm load on output of tuner and tuner in bypass.

The LP700 reads substantially higher PEP as it has much faster sampling rate for power sampling. Also the latest beta firmware for LP700 (not on their site) adds input power, output power and amp gain on the Trap/waveform screen.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.