Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why does the TGXL need a PTT?

W2PP
W2PP Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Tuner Genius XL

I have wondered why a PTT is needed for the TGXL. Since the device knows the frequency, has in memory the appropriate settings and has plenty of time to set them after a band change, what is the purpose of the PTT signal here:

Just curious really doesn't matter in operation.

Peter

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Peter, I don't have a TGXL, but my KAT500 tuner takes PTT in from the radio and passes it on to the amp. If the SWR is ok, it passes the PTT signal to the amp. If not, it alarms and keeps the amp from keying up.

I would think that the TGXL does something very similar to that.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Peter, I would do this:

Foot or Hand switch to the TGXL In PTT

TGXL PTT Out to PGXL PTT IN

PGXL PTT OUT to Radio PTT (Icom calls is Send I think)

That way, you key the TGXL first, then the PGXL and then the Exciter.

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

Mike thanks. However the challenge is to use FT8 etc. The software sends the PTT. Timing is key so a foot switch is a ok for CW or SSB but I can’t incision that working with FT8.

what do you think

Peter

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

A simple answer,

The reason for the needing the PTT is because the PTT line is the only way on a NON Flex radio to tell the tuner logic which transmitter to switch to on Radio / Antenna port A or B.

One of these days the firmware will hopefully be there for the TGXL and THE PGXL to understand RS-232, Icom and TCP/IP CAT information from various Radios or software which as everyone know the radio understands from the PTT command from todays Sound Card type software and should be able to be used to talk to the AMP more then just Frequency. I have already put my request in to 4O3A for this feature.

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

Sorry that’s not quite enough. If both port’s know what frequency they are tuned to there is no need for a PTT line. The signal should pass through the tuner. Both ports can be used simultaneously can they not?

Peter

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭

You only have one tuner in the TGXL that switches between the two ports.

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭

Ag ha.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.