Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX Reserved channels

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in DAX
Is it possible to do something to the DAX Reserved channels so they do not show up as an audio device with external programs?  If they are disabled in the control panel will they still do what they are designed to do?

Answers

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    You cannot disable them.  Unfortunately, we do not know of a way to keep Windows from showing them either.

Ultimately, we could eliminate them entirely, but it is a significant investment to do so (it involves moving all of our DAX UDP code into a kernel mode driver).  The payoff is a cleaner looking system, but other than that, there's no benefit.  We discussed doing this at the outset, but it would have pushed out things like waterfall, etc. that are next on the list.  It was unanimous in our company to take the faster approach and focus on delivering more important radio features rather than take on another kernel mode driver project ;-)  Having said this, I think those of you that have used it will agree that it far surpasses running a sound card, cables, serial for PTT, etc. in terms of simplicity, flexibility and performance.

If I have my way, you guys are going to get tired of hearing me say this: sound cards are a compromise method for connecting to a digital radio.  The best way is for the digital mode program to directly consume UDP streaming data.  It avoids a classic two-clocks problem, eliminates latency, get's rid of meddling Windows resampling, etc.  I do everything I can to encourage folks that write digital mode programs to connect directly to us if possible.  I understand this is a "single radio" solution, but we have adopted the VITA-49 standard to make this a winning prospect for the digital mode program author -- hopefully over time other vendors will also support this standard for delivery of radio IF data.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited February 2014
    I agree and thanks Steve.  The reserved channels just get in the way and make it difficult, if not impossible with some software, to match up the correct RX and TX pair.

I love DX Labs...great software and he will be supporting the 6xxx radios more as time goes on.  But he has a limit as to the number of devices that can be shown and too many of them end up being IQ or Reserved channels.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Steve,
    In the short term, maybe a name change would help avoid picking a reserved channel by accident or disabling it by accident.  See snapshot with a suggestion for the wording. 

We can do this ourselves from the "properties" dialog (right click on the device), but it might be nice for consistency to have it set up that way from the start for everyone. 

It's a minor change but might help avoid some confusion and trouble tickets.....

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited June 2020
    If you change the name, DAX will not work.  It finds the sound cards by their name.  We spent 20 minutes talking about how to name these and get them to show up in most of the programs (many of which truncate length, etc) and I wish I could get THOSE 20 minutes back (never mind spending another 20).  We really hoped that the word RESERVED along with the explanation in the manual would be enough to help folks understand that this is the side you keep away from (don't connect to it).  It really seems like a pretty simple rule to me.  There were lots of suggestions like "DAX DONT TOUCH" and the like, but we felt that RESERVED was reasonably professional and explanatory at the same time.

Now we also have detail here to help people find the right side, too.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    At the risk of opening old wounds... perhaps INTERNAL would express the same sentiment?  But then again, I think EDUCATION for the users is the best approach! "A little learnin' prevents a whole lotta hurtin'..."   Keep on teaching us!  Thanks....
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

but after 7 years should this issue not be solved ?

Andy K3UK

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Andy

I think Steve, the CTO, outlined the reasons the way it is. It really isn't broken, it is just the way it has to work in Windows.

What is it you would like to see and I will pass it on for you.

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    edited November 2022

Just remember that RESERVED means Reserved for the radio, and not available to the software programs.

RESERVED DAX are the “radio end” of the virtual audio cable.

likewise with CAT.... the CAT ports are created in pairs.... com 5/105.

the port 105 is the “radio end” of the virtual serial cable.

(all cables have two ends — the “radio end” and the “outside world” end.)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.