Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone had experience using a Kenwood MC-60 on a 6300?

Jon Fuller
Jon Fuller Member

Answers

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I'm interested as well, since I just came into possession of one. I'be heard they are  little bassy, but the flex can take care of that FB.  Oh gee, autocorrect tried to say they are a "little sassy"!
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Michael

NP, sassiness while usually an operator issue, can also be corrected by SmartSDR, just reduce the mic gain below the point where the sassiness becomes audible, I find that mic gain=0, rfpower=0, usually eliminates most of the bad signal reports.image  

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have been using a MC-60 for over a year and I get great audio reports.  I did spend time at the beginning though fine tuning the equalizer and listening to my self on recordings hihi  I have never never received a bad report for audio with it.  And I use just the microphone without the stand.

Gary WB8ROL
  • John Weisinger
    edited March 2017
    I just spent a lot of time with the EQ then went to the different mic profiles and found that when I went through them I found several that really made the MC-60 sound good.  Make sure that your mic is on the 50K setting.  It makes a big difference.
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have been using the MC-60 mic since day one of my F-6700 with excellent reports and voice quality. I have also use it with or without the EQ with good results...
  • Jerry NY2KW
    Jerry NY2KW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    After sorting the pins correctly, the Kenwood MC-60A (built in amplifier) expects 8vdc while the Flex 6700 provides 5vdc.  Has anyone found any problem with that?

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    As with any mic, they keys to good performance is in the adjustments. I would suggest using it without the built in preamp if it is not absolutely needed, and have the mic impedance switch in the 500 ohm, low impedance position. If you don't have the preamp in line, you don't need to worry about any voltage feed. Then work with it for a while setting the input gain, filter width, and TX EQ until it sounds right. Especially watch the low end response, and smooth that out, and it will sound great.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Here is a link to a schematic of the M-60. http://www.n6wk.com/kenwood/MC-60A.pdf
  • Can someone confirm the cable required for Kenwood MC-60 to Flex Maestro is 8 pin round to 8 pin modular. DX engineering said it was the EDS-8 cable. It is out of stock but available through eBay.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

You will have to rewire or build an adapter for your MC60 to function on a FlexRadio to an RJ45 connector

The wiring diagram for the Maestro can be found in the manual: All FlexRadios follow the format for Yaesu HF wiring of microphones.

https://edge.flexradio.com/www/uploads/20200818185004/Maestro-User-Guide-v3.x.pdf

Which is compatible with most Yaesu wiring formats. You will need to compare the differences between Kenwood and Yaesu. I don't think anyone builds an adapter but you can always check eBay.

• I bought the EDS-8 adapter for MC-60 to Modular RJ45. The eBay seller said it is not the right connector for the Flex 6600 and a Maestro. I don't want to plug it in, if someone can tell me if that will work I'll really appreciate it. DX Engineering guy told me it is EDS-8 but not in stock.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.