Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Has anyone successfully interfaced the PG XL with an ICOM 7610?

2»

Answers

• K9TI
    K9TI Member ✭✭

Wayne,

I noticed you said you integrated the TGXL as well. Would you be willing to share how you have it wired up? I've had a 7610 for as long as I've had my Flex, I've never connected it to the PGXL and TGXL for the past 3 years. I'm not sure how to get the band data from the radio to both amp and tuner. Maybe it's simple but I'm not going to struggle with it if someone has the answer! Thanks!

73, Brian K9TI

• > @"Arizona Mike" said:
    > Setting the IC-7610 per the above does work. However by changing the CI-V value it then renders SDR Control for Icom inoperable.
    >
    > One step forward, two back.

@"Arizona Mike" did you ever find a resolution for this? I'm contemplating a PGXL but I have a 7610 and use SDR Control for Icom on my Mac. I wouldn't buy the amp if it causes my remote control software to stop working.

J.P. W2XX
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi J.P.,

The latest PG XL 3.7.32 firmware allows you to set the CI-V address in the amp to the actual radio's address, so SDR Console on PC via USB to radio and PG XL via CI-V cable from radio to amp will work. You will need the Amp keying from the radio to the PTT IN RCA connector on the amp (either A or B side, depending which side you connect the 7610.

If you add the Tuner Genius, TG XL firmware 1.1.20 or newer will allow the tuner to get frequency information from the Power Genius thus requiring only the single CI-V connection from the radio.

One note on TG XL integration. To tune you click TUNE on the TG XL or the TG XL app then key the radio and apply a carrier of at least 20 watts.

If you have additional questions, please email us at hams@flex-radio.com.

Dave De **** WO2X

• There is no "TUNE"on an ICOM 7610. You can use a carrier on AM or FM. I find using a key, CW makes the best carrier to tune the tuner for the 7610. FYI

Wayne WA4YDJ

• David Decoons, wo2x

I have used RTTY mode in the past but have not owned an Icom since the early 7600

Dave wo2x

• > @"David Decoons, wo2x" said:
    > Hi J.P.,
    > The latest PG XL 3.7.32 firmware allows you to set the CI-V address in the amp to the actual radio's address, so SDR Console on PC via USB to radio and PG XL via CI-V cable from radio to amp will work. You will need the Amp keying from the radio to the PTT IN RCA connector on the amp (either A or B side, depending which side you connect the 7610.
    > If you add the Tuner Genius, TG XL firmware 1.1.20 or newer will allow the tuner to get frequency information from the Power Genius thus requiring only the single CI-V connection from the radio.
    > One note on TG XL integration. To tune you click TUNE on the TG XL or the TG XL app then key the radio and apply a carrier of at least 20 watts.
    > If you have additional questions, please email us at hams@flex-radio.com.
    > 73
    > Dave De **** WO2X

Thanks Dave, appreciate the insight re: firmware and allowing the address to be set.

I have a different brand auto tuner that interfaces with the radio and works hands off.
  • > @"Wayne Schonfeld" said:
    > There is no "TUNE"on an ICOM 7610. You can use a carrier on AM or FM. I find using a key, CW makes the best carrier to tune the tuner for the 7610. FYI
    >
    > Wayne WA4YDJ

Sure there is. You hit the "TUNER" button and the radio will tune.

If you're using an external Icom compatible tuner with band data connection, just tapping the tune button or the clicking mic or one dit on the cw key will drop the radio power down to 10 watts, the tuner does its thing, and then the power is turned back up to wherever it was set prior.
  • ky4ub
    ky4ub Member
    @"David Decoons, wo2x" I am glad to read the above dialog showing that you can easily interface the IC7610 to. the PGXL and TGXL. Is there a way to complete the path to the Antenna Genius as well? Please describe the cabling details if possible and how much is possible via DAX vs physical cables. Thanks for your assistance,
    Greg W
    KY4UB
  • David Decoons, wo2x

Hi Greg,

You would need a CI-V to BCD converter such as the B2BCD sold by 4O3A.

Dave wo2x

• ArchitectMike1
    ArchitectMike1 Member, Unconfirmed
    > @"David Decoons, wo2x" said:
    > Hi J.P.,
    > The latest PG XL 3.7.32 firmware allows you to set the CI-V address in the amp to the actual radio's address, so SDR Console on PC via USB to radio and PG XL via CI-V cable from radio to amp will work. You will need the Amp keying from the radio to the PTT IN RCA connector on the amp (either A or B side, depending which side you connect the 7610.
    > If you add the Tuner Genius, TG XL firmware 1.1.20 or newer will allow the tuner to get frequency information from the Power Genius thus requiring only the single CI-V connection from the radio.
    > One note on TG XL integration. To tune you click TUNE on the TG XL or the TG XL app then key the radio and apply a carrier of at least 20 watts.
    > If you have additional questions, please email us at hams@flex-radio.com.
    > 73
    > Dave De **** WO2X

Can you please elaborate and provide additional insight on connections. I connected a CI-V cable from an Icom 7610 to the PGXL. The PGXL recognizes the Icom and follows the band. However, the TGXL does not communicate with the PGXL and stays as RF Sense and does not obtain frequency info.

My PGXL FW = 3.8.4
    Settings: Radio - Icom, 9600, 8N1, 98h

My TGXL FW = 1.1.8
    Settings: Radio - Icom, 9600, 8N1, 98h

Both the TGXL and PGXL are connected to the network via ethernet. I am running the utility programs for both on Windows 11.

Thanks
    Mike
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Mike

• What versions of software are you using?
    • The TGXL has a setting where it communicates with the PGXL. Look in the TGXL setup under Genius Integration. Make sure you have serial number of your PGXL selected.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.