Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Problem with WSJT-x PWR settings with 2.8.1 release

Harry W0LS
Harry W0LS Member ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Third-Party Software

This issue seems to have started after I upgraded Smartsdr to 2.8.1. I have Slicemaster configured to load Wsjt-x to slice b and c by mode. So I bring up 3 slices..a/b/c. Slicemaster is configured to load wsjt-x on mode of digu. Both slices load wsjt-x and both copies appear to running ok. My problem is that the wsjt-x pwr settings have to be set quite differently to see the same power out of the radio. So as an example if I set both copies of wsjt-x to the SAME band the pwr settings on the b slice wsjt will be set at 5.5 from bottom and the c slice needs to be set at 8 from the bottom to get the same power out of the radio when I hit tune in wsjt-x each slice. The level meter in the DAX transmit stream shows the difference in levels coming in as expected but the output power remains the same. In the past I never was concerned with the pwr setting in wsjt-x as they were set the same and I never had a problem. Anyone else have a problem like this or maybe point out what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks,

Harry - W0LS

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭

Is the TX filter and TX mode the same in both cases? Is the TX tone near the edge of the TX filter ?

AL, K0VM

• Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭

Hi Al...tnx for response. Transmit filter same as I use on SSB 50-3250. WSJT mode FT-8 for both instances. WSJT Tx frequencies the same (2165). Can slicemaster change Tx levels...the only thing I know that changed was updating from 2.7.6 to 2.8.1 but I can not imagine that causing the problem. I do not see anything in wsjt settings that allows you to change tx levels other than pwr slider.

Harry

• Bill NE1B
    Bill NE1B Member ✭✭✭

There are 3 places to adjust power out.

1. The radio slice, meaning which slice is selected by TX flag. Use TUNE to switch TX back and forth.
    2. The WSJT "Pwr" slider on each WSJT slice.
    3. The Slice Master adjustments.

Go into Slicemaster. Check the MIX tab. Are both sliders the same?

Bill, NE1B

• Harry W0LS
    Harry W0LS Member ✭✭

Thanks for your comments Bill. I now have set the PWR slider in the wsjt instances to max. Went into DAX panel and set TX stream to 40 and with those settings comparisons between B and C slice power out seem to track and audio level in radio stays below the 0 mark. I will run like this for awhile and see how it goes. Never had to fuss with any of this before....dont know what changed. Thanks again for comments.

Harry - W0LS

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Moving to 3rd party applications

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.