Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My waterfall stays black and signal floor does not move.

:s I've tried everything i could think of.

Answers

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Do you have the correct antenna selected? What radio? Post a screen shot of SmartSDR. That will make it easier to help you.

James

WD5GWY

• MarkS
    MarkS Member ✭✭

I think I have had a loss of only the waterfall when I had remote network problems with smartsdr. I don’t recall if I was missing the tcp or udp connection. But is was one of them. I was also messing with vpn’s at the time. If you connect the computer running smartsdr on the same router/switch and the screen is normal, take a look at your protocol and port forwarding configurations. Mark- wd9jen

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

This is usually an incorrect adjustment in the Gain part of the Display tab.

• I'll make sure I check those settings and try to take a screenshot but I'v been told it may be my video card.
  • Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Good catch Mike. I completely forgot about that. But, he also states his signal floor ? I am assuming he means the spectrum line) does not move.

James

WD5GWY

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Glenn, do you have any sound on recieve? The video card drivers can cause problems with some cards. But, if it has been working previously, and you have not updated your video card drivers, I would not suspect the video card. It could be as simple as not having the correct antenna selection on the Slice receiver.

James

WD5GWY

• Yes I can transmit and receive, I've made contacts it's like it is frozen.
  • Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

If this something new, that has recently started, I would suspect a video driver issue.

You probably should open a Help Desk ticket. They can give you some pointers on tracking down the problem.

James

WD5GWY

• No it's been this way sense I installed it.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

If the panadapter is frozen and waterfall blank then next question, does your PC have an I tel video card that uses the Intel Iris driver? My friend had this problem two days ago. His fix was to download latest Intel Iris driver from Intel’s web site.

He has an HP PC and the Intel video driver on HP’s site were not the latest.

Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Before you open a support case, please post a screen shot. I suspect the scale on the right side of the screen has been moved way down.

• Here is a screen shot, please know that when Smartsdr first loads the two areas are blank.
    after I re size the screen i get the frozen screen you see here and sometime the waterfall will be and sometime not but neither one of them move.
  • I want to thank you all for trying to help. It's very much appreciated.
  • The first pic is what i see when i start sdr the second is after i resize to fit my screen, both are frozen and don't move at all.
  • Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Network problem. See the Yellow bars? That is an indication of problems with your network. Try connecting directly to your radio from the pc. If the problem goes away, which I suspect it will, then you need to check your network. Cables, switch router can alp cause problems like this because of low thru put.

James

WD5GWY

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

I agree with the Network being the problem, I didn't read back through all the posts to see what you have tried but I also would sugest connecting the radio directly to the computers WIRED ethernet port and a NEW Ethernet Cable.

The Blue line's in the Waterfall is also a sure sign of a Network issue.

Try NOT running it using the "SmartLink" connection, your screen shows you ARE running SmartLink because of the BIG blue "SmartLink" in the bottom bar just to the left of the Network status, The Yellow vertical bars are good and is a sign for a lot of lost packets and latency.

Right click on the Yellow verticle Bars and it should look more like this with a good connection going through a couple of GOOD 1GB Ethernet switchs.

• Well I took my laptop to the club house where the radio is located an connected to the wifi there and still had the same issue. But club laptops all work fine.
  • Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Wifi can have problems as indicated in the screen shot your posted. I suggest you get with other users of your club to see what the differences are. Your laptop can have problems. Even Windows Update and other applications running in the background that you may not be aware of, can interfere with a wireless connection. Even a wired connection can experience problems with background services and applications running at the same time.

I doubt it is a problem with SmartSDR.

James

WD5GWY

• James I agree I do think is something with the laptop I just don't know what it is. It's less than a year old so I'm hoping I don't have to buy a nother one.
  • Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

Glen,it could be a setting in Windows that is causing the whole problem. In your first photo it shows a strong signal ( green bars in the lower right corner of SmartSDR). In the next two photos, the green bars have dropped down from 4 to 2 bars. And they are yellow, indicating a connection problem. WX7V gave you good advice on right clicking on the yellow bars. You will get a pop-up window that shows the status of your current connection.

Again, it may be just a simple change in settings for WiFi in your laptop.l still suggest you get with another club member who has WiFi working on a laptop and connecting to the club's Flex.

Hop, it is nothing more than a setting that needs to be tweaked.

James

WD5GWY

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Glenn, do other members of your club have this same issue? I am guessing not. If not, then there is a network issue that is affecting you. I notice a lot of black lines in the waterfall. Those are most likely network dropouts.

Is your computer connected to your router directly with ethernet cable, or are you using a WiFi connection?

If WiFi, try a direct connection to see if it clears things up. Also, be sure to do what Mike, VA3MW suggested, set the Display Rate to a very low number (start with 1). Also set the Display FPS to a low number (like 5 or so).

• Want to let everyone know the problem is fixed, Cleaned some stuff up on the Laptop and updated video drivers. Thanks to all for your help. 73
  • Mike-VA3MW

No, that network is fine enough.

On the 2nd picture you sent, that looks fine, but there are no signals and you might have some packet loss, but you would still see signals.

This is the display control

Are you sure you have an antenna connected to ANT1?

You may also have to move your RF Gain over to the right.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭

One post above yours Mike.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

He stated he updated the video drivers. Wonder if it was the Intel Iris driver issue, especially since he updated the driver.

Dave wo2x

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.