Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Heil HTH-Y headset and AD-1-Y adapter

I have a Heil HTH-Y heasdet that I use on my handi talkie the FT5D Yaesu. It terminates in a 1/8"(3.5mm) TRRS plug. I purchased a Heil AD-!-Y adapter. I also have a flex Y cable that brings the TRS and RCA( PTT ) together up into a round male 8 pin foster.

Flex PTT 1/4 PTT jack

->>>>>>>>>> 8Pin round Male>>>>>>>AD-1-Y>>>>>>>

TRS TRRS Headset

Hopefully my extremely rough drawing helps.

I am looking for anyway to interface the headset directly to the Flex and be able to use the speaker and PTT built inn to the cord of the headset. Can anyone tell me how I could mod the AD-1-Y adapter in the female foster plug and and wires that would need to exit the foster plug to provide the needed connections.

Thanks

Ferrell

N4FRL

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Assuming it is a FLEX-6400 or a FLEX-6600, they come with an RCA connection for PTT, 1/8" Mono for the Mic and 1/8" Stereo for the Audio.

If you require an adapter that is wired for Yaesu, you can find those in our online store.

• Ferrell
    Ferrell Member ✭✭

@Mike-VA3MW Thanks for the reply Mike. That Y cable you have a link to in your reply is the exact one I have. It has been a great item. The problem comes trying to interface my headset which is a Heil HTH-Y made for the yaesu fd5r handheld radio with a 1/8 TRRS plug which of course carries RX audio and PTT line. If I could find a cable or adapter to go between these two I would have it made.

Ferrell

N4FRL

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

I assume making one is not an option; I'm sure parts are available.

• Ferrell
    Ferrell Member ✭✭

@Geoff AB6BT Of course Geoff building one is always a option. I was hoping not to have to go to the trouble but it looks like thats what I am going to have to do. Have to secure the pin out of the headset and of course the flex end is a piece of cake. I appreciate everyone's input

Ferrell

N4FRL

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭

I understand.

Probably the most time-consuming part will be researching and ordering. Not to mention shipping costs. The actual fabrication will be the least trouble.

Good luck!

• AA5NM
    AA5NM Member ✭✭
    I’m new. I don’t have my 6400 yet, but it is coming. I read all these postings. I am surprised that every problem has a solution put together by two or three sub-parts from various directions and posted on a forum, not indexed, or in a catalogue. With a Heil Pro Headset (blue one) I use on my Icom 7300, I’ve read with interest all the adapter and patch notes. Two questions: 1) how can I find the info on how to use the Pro 7 Headset with the FLEX?, and, 2) Does anyone at FLEX publish (where beginners can find it) a database/spreadsheet of the ways to match up equipment we have with the holes and plugs on FLEX 6400 radios? I mean, did someone think to make a user friendly comprehensive, logical, maybe encyclopedic, resource for potential customers to use? I would have bought a FLEX years ago if there was a database of what equipment works with the technical masterpiece that is the black box? In summary: Why isn’t there a database showing how to use already owned equipment with the FLEX equipment?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2022

Be careful with the Heil HTh-Y headset wiring. Being TRRS with PTT means the receive is only mono while the Flex output is stereo (left and right channel) on receive. Wire receive from headset to only one receive (left or right) on Flex to avoid possible damage to audio amp in radio. Then I when operating, make sure the audio balance is set so you have receive audio.

If you connect to right channel out and you have slice rx audio balance all the way to left, you will not have receive.

Also, does the headset use a electret mic element which would require bias voltage? Is it same bias that the radio can provide?

Just my thoughts.

Dave wo2x

• Ferrell
    Ferrell Member ✭✭

@David Decoons, wo2x David I have been exploring how to wire this tshing up. I purchased a breakout cable for the TRRS on the headset. According to the info online I can find is......Tip = Speaker + (Red in breakout cable), Ring= X (Whatever that is) , Ring= Mic+ and PTT +( Green in the breakout cable) , Sleeve = ( Bare wire in Breakout cable) . Don't quote me ut a few comments back someone mentioned that the mic to mono and PTTis RCA and speaker a stereo just using one side. Assuming that is correct then in order for this to work you need to build 3 breakout cables bringing each wire out to their correct type plug. 4 positions on yaesu TRRS plug and 6 wires needed. Sounds like some sharing going on. Based on that do you think this doable

Ferrell

N4FRL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.